• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How well does your Opteron overclock?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

How far does your Opteron overclock?

• Single Core 1.8 GHz - 2.2 GHz

Votes: 8 1.1%
  • Single Core 2.2GHz - 2.6 GHz

Votes: 20 2.8%
  • Single Core 2.6 GHz - 3.0 GHz

Votes: 131 18.6%
  • Single Core > 3.0 GHz

Votes: 69 9.8%
  • Dual Core 1.8 GHz - 2.2 GHz

Votes: 14 2.0%
  • Dual Core 2.2 GHz - 2.6 GHz

Votes: 77 11.0%
  • Dual Core 2.6 GHz - 3.0 GHz

Votes: 222 31.6%
  • Dual Core > 3.0 GHz

Votes: 55 7.8%
  • Let us break David's legs !

Votes: 107 15.2%

• Total voters
Mate,

I've based my observations based on TheCoolest's TCaseMax identifying tool. Also, look at his differential 25C--> 49C. It is 32-->45 C in my case. I wouldn't worry if it were an NC or a Venice, but I'm not sure about these Optys. I would try to minimize the amount of VCore required and the consequent temperatures as much as possible.
So, the fuss is about extracting the best using conservative settings. It takes a bit of time and patience. :)

I'd rather go slow and steady, than in an unplanned, haphazard way. :)

Super Nade said:
49C is a bit on the higher side. What is your TCaseMax?
Heck, even my DC Temps are less that yours! During testing I found that Voltage alone has a bearing on temprature. There is no change in temps if I up the frequency. Are you using the stock HS? Once I'm certified stable at 2.7GHz, I'll swap out my XP-90 for the stock HSF and see what happens. I'll be running a detailed test in my other thread (see sig), so keep a lookout for that.

Finally, if you plan on removing the IHS, try dental floss. Its a lot safer than a razor blade.

Thanx for the tip on removing the IHS. Whats TCaseMax? Yes I am running the retail PIB cooler that came with it. I am saving money for a new water setup, so I don't want to spend money on a high-end air cooler at the moment. The room the PC is in can get quite hot sometimes and I have seen temps over 55C on my CPU once, although it still remained stable at that speed.

AMD64 TCaseMax - v1.14
----------------------

CPU Information (CPU #1):
Standard CPUID: Family: F, Model: 3, Stepping: 2
Extended CPUID: Family: F, Model: 23, Stepping: 2
CPUID String: 20F32
Processor APIC: 0
Processor: Dual Core AMD Opteron 170 (Toledo)
CPU Speed: 2000 (200 x 10.0)
Revision: JH9-E6
Platform: Socket 939
Startup VCore: 1.350v
Maximum Case Temperature = 49C
TDP: 35.0 Watts

I noticed it only shows the first core! nothing for checking the second one???

Good, Bad, or Ugly? I'm trying to find the tables to check it, but I'm a tad lost. :)

O.

well i got up to 2.5 (9x278) on stock voltage before the first core started to fail after 15 minutes. i burned it for another 8 hours and tried stresscpu again, but this time the first core failed after 1 minute! that doesn't sound good, but i'll start bumping the voltage and see what happens. at this point i don't think 2.7 is likely, but hopefully i can hit 2.6 with less voltage than before.

Well, I sat down over the weekend and started going through Super Nade's overclock method.

I turned my multiplier down on my ram as I'm thinking a big part of my overall issues is ram related. Not sure if the memory controller on this chip is health or not. I'll look into that later.

But anyways My TCaseMax settings were saying 1.350V for lowest voltage, but this chip defaults to 1.325 in BIOS. So I set all my settings back down to my default settings in the bios and went to town.

I'm currently at 2300 (10x230) and I've not had to touch the voltage at all!!! I'm a tad surprised, I must say.

I'm still a bit worried that the TCaseMax that this chip is showing is going to limit my overclock somewhat. As it looks to be the lowest power consumption possable, and if I understand it the higher the TCaseMax the hotter, but easier to overclock the CPU becomes!! Someone correct me if I'm wrong here. It's looking like the 2500 (10x250) may in fact be my final score, but I'm hoping to reach it at a much lower voltage. then the 1.520 that I had. I'm only 20 FSB steps off that @ stock.

Anyways I'll keep people posted as to the progress of this CPU! Gonna run a couple hard high priority runs of Prime95 as it seems to be the most heat producing stresser on this system of mine, and it fails faster then StressCPU does. See what she's looking like when I get home from work!

O.

CPU Type: 148
Stepping: CABYE 0536
Best Stable OC: 3.05GHz (305x10, RAM 1:1)
VCore: 1.550v
Temps: 36/44 (XP-90C w/Silverstone 92mm)

I'm using a DFI LP UT nF4 Ultra-D with the 623-3 BIOS and all 4 power connectors plugged in. I also did the Vantec Iceberq 4 chipset HSF mod.

Edit: I have seen considerable improvement using the burn-in method described in my testing thread (post #131).

Last edited:
ROH said:
As it looks to be the lowest power consumption possable, and if I understand it the higher the TCaseMax the hotter, but easier to overclock the CPU becomes!! Someone correct me if I'm wrong here. It's looking like the 2500 (10x250) may in fact be my final score, but I'm hoping to reach it at a much lower voltage. then the 1.520 that I had. I'm only 20 FSB steps off that @ stock.
I've heard this, as well, but I have the same TCaseMax as you do (49*) and i've been able to get stable at 2.6 with 1.425v. i imagine you would be able to do the same with your 170, if not better. i'm also working my way back up using super nade's burn-in protocol in the hopes that i can bring that voltage down some.

Updated, Dec 13 2005

Just like you guys, I've been mulling about this TCaseMax. Bearing in mind that I hit 50C whilst my TCaseMax was 49C, one can conclude that this is not a dead-on-must-be-obeyed number. Also, I left my computer ON for the whole day, burning it with StressCPU and it recorded several spikes in excess of 50C. I'm still alive and so is my computer. :)

Now, does this TCaseMax have any bearing on overclockability, or does it provide any answers as such? That is debatable. Going by the TCaseMax, my CPU should be somewhat limited with little of no headroom. But it doesn't turn out that way. :shrug:

At this point, based on my own experience, I cannot infer anything from TCaseMax. Maybe TheCoolest or OCDetective may have better answers to this question. I for one, have none at this point.

Is my burn-in technique really helping anybody out? Please add improvements, if any to your posts. :)

Super Nade said:
Updated, Dec 13 2005
Just like you guys, I've been mulling about this TCaseMax. Bearing in mind that I hit 50C whilst my TCaseMax was 49C, one can conclude that this is not a dead-on-must-be-obeyed number. Also, I left my computer ON for the whole day, burning it with StressCPU and it recorded several spikes in excess of 50C. I'm still alive and so is my computer. :)

Have to say this also. I was sitting at 51-52C during the day one time when I was stressing my CPU. 36 Hours of burn in.... Still works today and better then ever going from less then 1min stable at current voltage to over 14+ hours stable, and benchmark and SuperPI 32M passable.

Well, I'm sure I've seen improvement sofar with my CPU! I was originally having to push 1.42 to reach this 2300 spot in my previous runs with this CPU. So I'd have to say there's been a big improvement. as well I had one core that was weaker then the other under high stress at over 2500 and on my last test at 2600 it went over an hour with no error! test aborted to do work! Used to error out in less then 15 minutes.

Now regarding the current status on this CPU. I've noticed a DRASTIC drop in running temps while sitting at default voltages. Bounces between 1.29 and 1.31 in Smartguardian. And my full on load with CPUburn.....39 degrees that is compaired to 44 degrees at 2300 with 1.42v. To be honest with this 300Mhz overclock my running temps are about the same as stock settings. My idle temp is a bit higher maybe a degree maybe two! Either way it ain't much at all!

The BIG difference that I've noticed though is the temps on my PWMIC on this Ultra-D. At my previous settings @ 2500 I was getting 60 degree spikes in temp where now it tends to about 2-3 degrees hotter then my CPU running temp and that's it! Huge improvement there! I'm gonna have to think that this will help my overclock as well! the less temp on the power mosfets the better. I know they can take a lot of heat, but you have to wonder when that heat starts to affect power stability.

Regarding my chipset! I'm using the stock chipset cooler, and it's full load is around 40 degrees pretty much constant. so no worries there!

Anyways I'll keep you all posted as to the continuance of this slow but steady overclock!

O.

I'm suprised how many have topped 3ghz with the single core chips. I voted for 2.6 - 3.0. I run my CAB2E 144 24/7 @ 1.5v 2700mhz. I can hit 2.9 stable, but no more it seems. IHS is removed, and load temps are about 35 on water.

J.

2.907GHz would mean 323HTT for you, which is pretty darn high. You might be hitting the limits of the HT bus, not CPU clock. If you had a 146 or 148 CAB2E, I bet there's a good chance you could hit or surpass 3.0GHz.

Last edited:
I would like to make an update on my settings. Apparantly 3 days of burning in was not enough for me. Just now after 9 days that I first started OC'ing this puppy, it looks like it's finally settling in. I am now able to hit 2772 (252*11)@stock volts and stock cooler, and currently testing higher speeds, still with lover volts than my previous OC. The strange thing is that temps remain unchanged even when running at lower volts. Anyway, my current specs are....

CPU: Opteron 148
Stepping: CABYE 0540 FPBW
Stable OC: 2,772Ghz
VCPU: 1,4V
HTT MAX: 360HTT ( CPU multi x4, RAM 266 Divider, HTT multi 2x)
Idle temps:What's idle?
Load temps: 50C
Ambient: 25C
TCasemax: 63C
TDP: 61,8W

Still testing though...

Last edited:
GV2NIX said:
2.907GHz would mean 323HTT for you, which is pretty darn high. You might be hitting the limits of the HT bus, not CPU clock. If you had a 146 or 148 CAB2E, I bet there's a good chance you could hit or surpass 3.0GHz.

Nah, my board handles 360htt with no stability problems so long as the CPU is 2.9 or less, and the memory is DDR620 or less. I can lower multi and ram divider and run @ 360HTT all day long. 320 - 330 should be no problem.

J.

Super Nade said:
Is my burn-in technique really helping anybody out? Please add improvements, if any to your posts. :)

Overall I gained about 18 fsb so that i can get to 2.5GHz on stock voltage, but my max overclock remains stuck at 2.6GHz w/ 1.425v. I was hoping for better, but it was an interesting experiment. :cool:

juliendogg said:
Nah, my board handles 360htt with no stability problems so long as the CPU is 2.9 or less, and the memory is DDR620 or less. I can lower multi and ram divider and run @ 360HTT all day long. 320 - 330 should be no problem.

J.
Oh ok, awesome. :) I guess it is your CPU then. :(

Hey SuperNade, are you plannnig to put in ALL the results from the testing thread that GV2NIX started? I was hoping that we might eventually get everyone's Opteron results into your poll to have one consolidated reference. :)

Back