• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Some Ebay buyer just got owned big time

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
checking the guys feedback, it clearly says he isnt a good reader. another auction he won for some speakers or something.. the guy is a retard

This is where it gets funny:

Everyone feeling bad for this buyer doesn't realize that he OUTBID people to get a $611 box. He could put this on Ebay and get AT LEAST $500 of his money back!

I bet the seller of this box bought if off Ebay for $1,500. :)

It's pretty deceiving If the seller can't take a picture of the item they're selling. By actually taking a picture makes someone a much better seller in my eye.

Therefore, it makes it pretty obvious that seller wanted the impression of an actual Xbox360 system and not a box. If he wanted to show a box, he'd have a picture of a brown cardboard box with Xbox360 written in black magic marker on the side.

Of course it goes both ways. The people who do not read the auction listing thoroughly and purchase things spur-of-the-moment, especially for something this expensive, probably deserve what's coming their way.

Last edited:
how could the box have a media type of DVD ROM? - thats probably why the seller will lose this fight

Lionsault_100 said:
how could the box have a media type of DVD ROM? - thats probably why the seller will lose this fight
because you failed to notice the subcategory that was in "mfr specs of the system" seller wont lose this. Buyer stupidity at its best.

How can anybody claim that this is other than out and out deception.

1 - It is listed under 'Video Game Systems'
2 - It shows a picture of an Xbox 360
3 - It says 'Platform - MS Xbox 360'
4 - It says 'Media Type - DVD ROM'
5 - It says that it was manufactured by Microsoft when he made it himself.

Yes if you are smart and read the details then there is no chance of being taken in by this, but most people are stupid. This is in a similar vein to when various UK clothes stores were selling items with labels in the nack saying 'Made in UK', in fact the labels were made in the UK while the clothes were made in the far east. The stores argued that the labels weren't misleading because it didn't specify anywhere what the text was referring to.

As moz said earlier if the guy had intended this other than as a scumbag con, it would have been listed under either 'Home&Garden>Storage>Cardboad Boxes' or 'X-Box 360
>X-Box 360 Accessories' and would have contained no images of or information about the Xbox 360. It's not a case of whether he is technically right, it is whether his intention was to mislead, or even (legally in this country at least) if there is a significant chance of the advert misleading buyers.

So what? Look at ANY advertisement in this country, and find one that isn't misleading.

- The strongest medication out!

- 4 out of 5 doctors recommend this!

- Loose weight by taking this pill!

- The strongest one out there!

The only difference here is that this person is not selling in quantities of hundreds of thousands, and his fine print is about 16 times larger, and more sustaining on the screen than what is advertised to you on television.

moz_21 said:
It's pretty deceiving If the seller can't take a picture of the item they're selling. By actually taking a picture makes someone a much better seller in my eye.

Ok, so let's take that exact same ad, and put this image on there

2c_1_b.JPG

and now the ad is acceptable?

I usually feel somewhat bad, but not with this, not at all. A complete idiot would not buy in to this ad. Anyone positively STUPID enough to buy this, isn't going far in life anyways, what else was this person going to do with the $611?

Clearly the guy got ripped off. If he had just looked around on ebay a bit, he could have gotten an xbox box for only $400 here!

Seriously, this is quite clearly a scam. It's intended to deceive and mislead. Yeah, the guy is a dumbass for not figuring out that it's only a box, but the guy that's selling it is a scumbag for trying to trick people into giving him a fairly large sum of money in exchange for nothing of value. Just because someone is a dumbass doesn't make it ok to rip them off.

There's capitalism and captitalism, in rockerfeller's time it may have been ok for rich people to eat working class babies, drill for oil in school playgrounds or whatever else took their fancy, but it's not QUITE so bad now. You do have a few consumer laws, and at the very least this guy is breaking the spirit of them.

The person did INTENTIALLY miss-lead people though - u can not deny that!

i mean why spec out the full details of the physical console if you are only selling the box.

Yes people need to learn to read - i do beleive that person auction and account were banned.

Anyways, this happened with the original Xbox release, and i am sure will with the PS3 as well.

pik4chu said:
because you failed to notice the subcategory that was in "mfr specs of the system" seller wont lose this. Buyer stupidity at its best.

55%% buyer stupidity, 4% seller deception 41%% ebay stupidity

WOW, i love it when people make me look like a rocket scientist!! :D

I think i would take some negative feedback on this one, rather than parting with $611. for an empty box. Still, makes me laugh though. :p

Back