• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Northwood Chip woes.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cjwinnit

B&
Found a pentuim 4 chip (SL7J9 Malay) in the garden, loads of bent pins which I straightened to some degree of success. Unfortunately I broke off one of the corner pins. I still have the pin but I'm wondering how to fix it. Part of me hopes it's a ground pin or unused pin but I haven't been lucky enough to find the pinout diagram. Failing that and failing finding a helpful jeweller who could help me solder it, any ideas how to get it hotwired or will it work without it?

Thanks for any help in advance.

edit: read my next post, wrong code.

Last edited:
i wish i had a garden that gave me 3.6ghz p4's.

do you know how it ended up there?

Take a picture of the chip. I'll tell you what can be done. I've done some jewelry repair. A jeweler is going to want to use a micro torch, similar to butane pens, except they use sophisticated regulators. If the whole pin is detached from the chip, I'd put some serious doubt on a repair, and I'd pay homage to the blacksmith who fixed it! You're going to need heat to forge it.

That is one whack story BTW

You can download the appropriate datasheet from the Intel website which should have a pin-out chart if you dig around.

Yeah, I remember seeing one when looking about the internet years ago during the vid-pin era.

By the way, I looked up that SL7J9 s-spec and it comes back as a 3.6 D0 stepping socket LGA775 which would be pinless. You must of listed the wrong s-spec code.

Doh! Meant SL5YS Malay.

hUMANbEATbOX said:
i wish i had a garden that gave me 3.6ghz p4's.

do you know how it ended up there?

Cousin was giving me some second-hand cases and dud mobo's. I guess the chip fell out when he was taking it out of the car. I was raking up the leaves a few days later and saw a shiny thing in the leaves. Thought it would be a penny, turned out to be a bit more :D

I'm seriously doubtful of it ever working again. The pins still connected were straightened out to the best of my ability but it's hardly a zero insertion force-compatible chip. It does get in the socket with a little effort, but I haven't had the courage to try it yet.

Pics coming soon hopefully. I'm off down to London for a few days so it might be a while yet.

haha if all else fails you no what u can do?

take a staple, cut it so it slides into the socket, but sticks just a lil above so itll contact the cpu. i did this with my bro's comp cause i was trying to volt mod a 2.4 to 3.2. sadly it didnt work and my bro's friend came up with this ingenious idea. It works! and its stable.

Cjwinnit said:
I'm seriously doubtful of it ever working again. The pins still connected were straightened out to the best of my ability but it's hardly a zero insertion force-compatible chip. It does get in the socket with a little effort, but I haven't had the courage to try it yet.

i would fire it up. i doubt you will harm your mobo doing so, the most that would happen would be a nopost, or a post with lound beeps.

i bent the whole corner of a 1.8 willamet once, and i mean i completely smooshed it. with patience, i bent the ones i could back in place although i did lose a couple in the process. the chip still works fine to this day in the p4t533-c i originally had it in, tried it in a friends msi and it didn't. go figure.

some tips, you can use a thin straight edge to line them up, i used a metal ruler. you can use a mechanical pencil with no lead in it to individually fine tune the pins, just slide the pin into the empty end of the pencil. of course, try to limit the "back and forth" type of bending, as this will lead to more missing pins.

Back