• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Something is wrong with xp...Help please!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

iLLestOne

Okay, so the other day I loaded up trackmania sunrise, and restarted the comp, and all the sudden xp get a bsod over and over again. I found out in event viewer that my antivirus (symantec) and a driver ***. with alcohol 120 (a3 somehting.bus i believe) both were having errors. So I uninstall alcohol, delete some reg. values for it and reinstall my antivirus software.

Now my comp doesn't have any bsod's, BUT when loading windows, it takes FOREVER. At the windows screen, that little bar thing goes like 3 times after I FIRST install xp, and on average 8 times after installing updates and programs. NOW, it is taking 20-30 times before it loads windows....

I have windows on a raptor and a a64 3200+. This shouldn't be taking soooooooo damn long (and never did before). I even restored my computer to an earlier date, with no luck

Here is what it says under startup
http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/5259/startup12xk.jpg
http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/1428/startup22la.jpg

I have no idea what could be wrong, but something definatly is.

I could save my "event viewer" as a log file and post it here if that would help.

Can someone please help me!!!!

Why dont you just back up your data and reinstall XP. With a Raptor it couldnt take more than 20 Mins. And it would be easier.

iLLestOne said:
Okay, so the other day bla, bla, bla
Download bootvis and see what is taking so long to load.

iLLestOne said:
Okay, so the other day I loaded up trackmania sunrise, and restarted the comp, and all the sudden xp get a bsod over and over again. I found out in event viewer that my antivirus (symantec) and a driver ***. with alcohol 120 (a3 somehting.bus i believe) both were having errors. So I uninstall alcohol, delete some reg. values for it and reinstall my antivirus software.

Now my comp doesn't have any bsod's, BUT when loading windows, it takes FOREVER. At the windows screen, that little bar thing goes like 3 times after I FIRST install xp, and on average 8 times after installing updates and programs. NOW, it is taking 20-30 times before it loads windows....

I have windows on a raptor and a a64 3200+. This shouldn't be taking soooooooo damn long (and never did before). I even restored my computer to an earlier date, with no luck

Here is what it says under startup
http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/5259/startup12xk.jpg
http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/1428/startup22la.jpg

I have no idea what could be wrong, but something definatly is.

I could save my "event viewer" as a log file and post it here if that would help.

Being sudden like that sounds more like a processor overheat problem. If you're using phase-change cooling, you likely forgot to turn the compressor on. :eek:

The first thing I'd do is get rid of Zone Alarm. vsmon.exe appears to be hanging your system at boot. Just run the Windows firewall for the time being until you can get down to your local shop and get a Dlink 804-HV hardware firewall/router for about $30.

The second thing I'd do is get rid of NAV. Not only is it entirely ineffective at stopping many recent viruses, it's hogging up your system resources and conflicting with other software. Get AVG and do a system scan with the most recent updates, as it's possible you have a virus as a result of relying on NAV.

hafa said:
The first thing I'd do is get rid of Zone Alarm. vsmon.exe appears to be hanging your system at boot. Just run the Windows firewall for the time being until you can get down to your local shop and get a Dlink 804-HV hardware firewall/router for about $30.

The second thing I'd do is get rid of NAV. Not only is it entirely ineffective at stopping many recent viruses, it's hogging up your system resources and conflicting with other software. Get AVG and do a system scan with the most recent updates, as it's possible you have a virus as a result of relying on NAV.

I HATE NAV, but my school won't let me use anything else :( I usually use avast or avg, but CCC won't recognize them.....

As for the firewall, i've always used zonealarm and it's never caused me problems before...maybe i'll try uninstalling it and seeing if that helps...

Thanks for th tips

threeme2189 said:
NAV isn't that bad... yes it is a system hog but those symantek people keep it up to date afaik.

Actually, Symantec's virus definitions, although "updated" daily, don't provide protection against many viruses. Some discussion on this issue

here

here

and here

Some outside articles about recent failures:

Security Tracker

Security Focus

An interesting bit is to do a search on these sites for Symantec, and then do one on AVG and compare the number of failures.

Back