• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ok so, progress...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The 3:4 ratio runs the RAM faster than the FSB. The older i865/i875 chipsets did not allow higher than 1:1 when you were above 200 FSB. Used to be that AMD hated anything but 1:1 (before the A64). For memory intensive apps, running an Intel at the 3:4 ratio will provide an advantage. You might not see much difference in some apps when compared to 1:1. I can get a better score with Super Pi with more memory bandwidth. With most games you will see a slight gain with faster RAM speeds. It might be worth benching both ways to see if it helps your system. When I run my 3.8 at the higher default multiplier, I always use the 3:4 ratio.

batboy said:
The 3:4 ratio runs the RAM faster than the FSB. The older i865/i875 chipsets did not allow higher than 1:1 when you were above 200 FSB. Used to be that AMD hated anything but 1:1 (before the A64). For memory intensive apps, running an Intel at the 3:4 ratio will provide an advantage. You might not see much difference in some apps when compared to 1:1. I can get a better score with Super Pi with more memory bandwidth. With most games you will see a slight gain with faster RAM speeds. It might be worth benching both ways to see if it helps your system. When I run my 3.8 at the higher default multiplier, I always use the 3:4 ratio.

ahhh thanks, good info.

I was under the impression 1:1 was faster in all cases, but I'll try upping it and seeing how it runs.

Back