• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for a NEW card? Need help?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
What average FPS do the Radeon 6850 and 6870 run at Ultra on Battlefield 3? I'm trying to build a budget PC for my friend, but I don't know what card to get him to have some stability for Battlefield 3.
Also, do these run almost 60 frames at high?

I dont think even 680s and 7970s will get 60fps constant in bf3 at ultra(1080p), that game plus budget plus ultra settings just isnt happening. Id expect a 6870 to do ok at medium, or thereabouts. Cant say for sure as i dont own it.

Will the 6870 be bottlenecked by a AMD X4 965 BE?
Because I'm not too sure about that either...

Hi guys!

Sadly, my 555BE doesn't run stable when unlocked. I could literally boot and run Prime95 in blend for 48hrs and it would run fine. But every time, right after boot win explorer kept crashing :)

Also, since I have a mATX system, I'm pretty much limited to either 92mm fan towers or something frrom Corsairs H series.

You're right though, that the middle ground would be a 6850 or 6870... however, the best offer on HD6870 I could find was a reference design card made by AMD themselves and not partners. Is that a good thing, a bad thing, or completely irrelevant? Do those reference blower fans make a lot of noise?

It's the same thing as the reference design from the manufacturers, and you just do RMAs directly to AMD. Doesn't really matter.

need help deciding on new gpu

im looking to upgrade my asus 5770 for something more modern and less power hungry. my computer specs outlined below. Im looking for something that will run wow, diablo 3, cod with everything maxed. Im looking at $175-240 for a budget and id like it to be at least a little future proof, maybe upgrade in 1.5-2 years. My front runner atm is a 7850 2gb. Any and all help is appreciated.

Hi,

I currently have a 3 year old rig, and am looking to upgrade the GPU.

Current rig config:

i5 O/C @ 3.6ghz
6gb of RAM
Radeon HD 58xx series card
Vertex SSD

I am not loyal AMD, so would be willing to switch to Nvidia. Havent done any reasearch into GPUs the last couple of years, so I have no idea what the advantages/disadvantages of AMD vs Nvidia at the moment.

Looking to drop between 300 and 400 euros on the GPU. I presume my i5 is still good enough not to bottleneck the latest cards, especially with the O/C.

Thanks for your help

GClanner

Hey Gclanner,

For that kind of money you could grab either camps top single gpu (not the titan though) offerings I would think.

You do not mention your power supply. The top tier cards require a fairly beefy (a decent model making above 500 watts) PSU with 2 6 pin PCI-E connections usually.

oops, I have a 850W corsair PSU, i will need to check the connections on it.

What is the pro/cons of AMD vs Nvidia top end cards? which would you recomend?

oops, I have a 850W corsair PSU, i will need to check the connections on it.

What is the pro/cons of AMD vs Nvidia top end cards? which would you recomend?

Whoa 850 watts! It will have the proper connections and its more than enough! :)

Honestly in this age, both camps have great products. The differences are warranty, factory overclocks, and larger coolers depending on the brand of course. If I were you I would look at the HD 7970 or the 680 gtx if they are within your price range over there.. If they are out of it, just step down a model (7950 or the 670 gtx) and see what the price is like. Either way you will be happy with your new card. :)

Hey all, trying to look for a possible upgrade to my GTX 660 (full specs in sig). I use my rig mainly for gaming and only use 1 monitor at 1920x1080. Which card can I purchase that would be a significant upgrade for my system? I am trying to keep my budget at $400 max.

i got a dell 540 studio desktop

geforce gts 240

4GB

500 hardrive

intel core quad 2

i want to know what type of video card would be good for gameing and what type of PSU i would need:)

I not sure how fast the hardrive is:)

i play to play world of warcraft and rift most of the time.

Last edited:
i got a dell 540 studio desktop

geforce gts 240

4GB

500 hardrive

intel core quad 2

i want to know what type of video card would be good for gameing and what type of PSU i would need:)

I not sure how fast the hardrive is:)

i play to play world of warcraft and rift most of the time.

Hey cmp,

Any card in the 130-200 dollar range will do nicely for that cpu. As for a PSU, you just need something in the 450-550 watt range, that has the proper PCI-E connectors...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...eId=1&bop=And&Order=PRICED&PageSize=20&Page=2

The search above, lists cards from both camps between 100-200 bucks.. I sorted by highest price, and chose page 2 to start with stuff around 175 bucks..

*EDIT: I forgot to mention that you will have to measure the inside space of that tower, it looks a bit cramped, so that will limit your card choice also!

Good luck!

Im hoping that by posting someone that is more "in the know" than i am can help.

I need a Gpu or Two that can do triple monitors..my current specs are an Asus M5a99xevo MOBO with a phenom 2 x4 955 soon to be upgraded to a 95w piledriver CPU..16GB of Mushkin RAM..the real bottleneck is that i have to use a pair of very old Nvidia 7950gt's to get where im going...and where is that you say?...the real question is..what do i want to do..i need 3 monitors to NOT game but for stock analysis and business..for that purpose the 7950's do just fine..but what i WANT is to game as well and for that these poor old cards just poop out..i want to game and the one central monitor is fine for that..so im looking for a single card that can handle 3 monitors WITHOUT and active display port converter..( i tried one of those on my AMD Asus 5850..no go)..i may have gotten a faulty cable..but when i plugged that in and tried a triple monitor it didnt work..anyway..i want to GAME on one monitor SOMETIMES..but i need to work on three monitors ALL the time..im hoping for a one card solution..but its in my budget to buy a two card solution..again to work but to also play the newest games..i neglected to mention my power supply specs..i have a p.c power and cooling 610 watt power supply..two hard drives one of which is a solid state..itll drive my former 5850..or my two ancient 7950's..my preference? ..AMD of course but id go with nvidia if it offers the better solution

Options:
1. AMD card. You still need an active displayport adapter, even if you're only playing games on one screen.
2. NVIDIA card 770 or above. Minimum $400 purchase
3. Whatever video card you want with the primary monitor plugged into it, and any random secondary GPU (that you have or a cheap one you buy) to run the side monitors. With this, gotta be careful on the PSU.

I think the original post should be updated to add resolution because that seems to be a big part of what people miss....

working on a new build, so far: CM Storm Trooper full tower case, Intel Core i7 4770K 3.5 Ghz Haswell, Asus Maximus VI Hero (Z87) mobo, Corsair HX850 psu........ Now I'm ready to purchase a good gaming video card. Was considering a GTX GeForce 770 (about $400). Now looking at a 760 (about $249). I want to be able play the latest games at max settings without any issues. I have always had Radeon cards, but I want to try NVIDIA this time around. Looking for the most bang for my buck..........Suggestions please!

CPU = Intel Core i7-2600k Sandy Bridge 3.4 Ghz(3.8Ghz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W
Motherboard = Asus P8Z68 DELUXE/GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel z68 SATA 6GB/s
RAM =Corsair Vengeance 8GB(2x4) 240-pin DDR3 SDRAM 1600
PSU = Cooler Master Silent Pro RSA00-AMBAJ3 1000W ATX12v
Current Video Card = Sapphire 11196-02-40G Radeon HD 7950 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express3.0 x16 HDCP (OC Version)

I run three monitors, and am looking to possible add a fourth. Used mostly for gaming(WoW), and I'm looking to spend less than $600.(This can be increased to make way for large increases in performance if needed)

oh and...I'm gaming in 1080p, and my Radeon GPU bit the dust about 2 months after I bought it.

Last edited:
CPU = Intel Core i7-2600k Sandy Bridge 3.4 Ghz(3.8Ghz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W
Motherboard = Asus P8Z68 DELUXE/GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel z68 SATA 6GB/s
RAM =Corsair Vengeance 8GB(2x4) 240-pin DDR3 SDRAM 1600
PSU = Cooler Master Silent Pro RSA00-AMBAJ3 1000W ATX12v
Current Video Card = Sapphire 11196-02-40G Radeon HD 7950 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express3.0 x16 HDCP (OC Version)

I run three monitors, and am looking to possible add a fourth. Used mostly for gaming(WoW), and I'm looking to spend less than $600.(This can be increased to make way for large increases in performance if needed)

oh and...I'm gaming in 1080p, and my Radeon GPU bit the dust about 2 months after I bought it.

Hey masmeridian,

I am not sure what the nvidia camp offers. But I do know of several AMD cards that will run up to 6 monitors..

http://www.amazon.com/VisionTek-Products-Eyefinity-Graphic-900548/dp/B0085O90SQ

It would require all monitor connections to be mini display port.

Back