• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for a NEW card? Need help?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
LogRus, are you sure that 128-bit 6600GT would make it? I'm just worried about that 128-bit comapred to 256-bit, I know even back in 9800Pro days, there was a version of the 9800Pro that had 128-bit memory, and it was considered really bad.

Anyone have another suggestions that would meet (or surpass) my "Old PC's" ATI 9800-Pro (128MB of 256Bit RAM, I think it is an "r360" core IIRC - I have no clue if that is good or not!). I'd hate to build a new rig that is faster on every aspect, BUT the Video Card!

Instead of me saying my budget is "$x" - how about what is the CHEAPEST card that would equal my old PC's 9800-Pro? I liked the Used suggestions, too. That will obviously be dictated by what people are selling at the moment, and this might also sway me to hold off on buying a new card right now (use the x300 for now).

I'll be ordering my PC components tonight (or I'll spend the cash on stupid stuff ;) ), and if I can't reach a decision I'm comfortable with, I'll just hold off on the Video Card for now. I have an ATI x300 in my Shuttle xPC, and I will just yank it out of the Shuttle, and use it in this new build until I can pull my head out of my butt long enough to figure out what is a good PCI-Express 16x card (I can use the Shuttle's Onboard Video).

I am so ignorant on Video Cards (since I'm not a heavy gamer, I don't have the motivation to learn about Video Cards :( The rest of the hardware, I'm fairly comfortable with)

Thanks for any further input.

:cool:

Last edited:
Randyman... said:
Anyone have another suggestions that would meet (or surpass) my "Old PC's" ATI 9800-Pro (128MB of 256Bit RAM, I think it is an "r360" core IIRC - I have no clue if that is good or not!). I'd hate to build a new rig that is faster on every aspect, BUT the Video Card!

Instead of me saying my budget is "$x" - how about what is the CHEAPEST card that would equal my old PC's 9800-Pro?

I'll be ordering my PC components tonight (or I'll spend the cash on stupid stuff ;) ), and if I can't reach a decision I'm comfortable with, I'll just hold off on the Video Card for now. I have an ATI x300 in my Shuttle xPC, and I will just yank it out of the Shuttle, and use it in this new build until I can pull my head out of my butt long enough to figure out what is a good PCI-Express 16x card (I can use the Shuttle's Onboard Video).

I am so ignorant on Video Cards (since I'm not a heavy gamer, I don't have the motivation to learn about Video Cards :( The rest of the hardware, I'm fairly comfortable with)

Thanks for any further input.

OK so basicly you don't play much 3D games, do you care about 3D performance?

Equal to the 9800Pro, and PCI-E, the 6600GT is said to be equal to it (and probably cheapest w/ same performance), just make sure you buy a 256-Bit RAM version. Google for 6600GT reviews or benchmarks. Anyway, hope I helped.

Yup. I might not need the performance, but I'd like to have the option (I certainly want something equal to or more powerful than my old 9800-Pro). I'll look on NewEgg.

I might just do the Used thing, as that is how I ended up with the 9800-Pro anyway (it was a steal of a deal, and I would NEVER have paid new prices for one). Maybe the X800 used (I like ATI for some unknown reason)... I actually bought the x850 when it was mis-priced at some retailer (you might recall the Thread here at OC Forums) - but they never shipped the item due to their pricing error :( (it was like $235 for the x850 top of the line model!). Oh well...

I have a feeling this might be the system to finally get me into gaming :) . If it does - I'm in for a rude awakening for today's prices on "Leading Edge" Video Cards!

Thanks to JCW122 and LOG-RUS for your help!!! You rock :attn:

Last edited:
Randyman... said:
Yup. I might not need the performance, but I'd like to have the option (I certainly want something equal to or more powerful than my old 9800-Pro). I'll look on NewEgg.

I might just do the Used thing, as that is how I ended up with the 9800-Pro anyway (it was a steal of a deal, and I would NEVER have paid new prices for one). Maybe the X800 used (I like ATI for some unknown reason)... I actually bought the x850 when it was mis-priced at some retailer (you might recall the Thread here at OC Forums) - but they never shipped the item due to their pricing error :( (it was like $235 for the x850 top of the line model!). Oh well...

I have a feeling this might be the system to finally get me into gaming :) . If it does - I'm in for a rude awakening for today's prices on "Leading Edge" Video Cards!

Thanks to JCW122 and LOG-RUS for your help!!! You rock :attn:

Well I'll just add, I own the 9800Pro also as it says in my sig, and it's a fairly powerful card, in my opinion. It runs most new games like CS:Source and Half-Life 2, Call of Duty, all very well. I can even run Battlefeild 2 at medium settings. And this is not overclocked.

Well finally got my monitor Dell UltraSharp 2005FPW 20.1-inch Flat Panel LCD Monitor GOD is it ever sweet I cant wait for my vid card so I hooked it up with my 9200 se and DVI hook up and just plug it in and didnt even have to load drivers or any thing.Will let you know how it is after I get my X850 Pro this week end

JCW,

I just saw that the Preslers are now shipping - so I will probably wait on the Video Card (I'll use the x300 for now), and re-invest the extra cash in a Presler 930 (3.0GHz Dual-Core, 2x 2MB L2, 65nm - about $350).

I'll put the new Video Card on the back burner for a few weeks, and then I'll really splurge on something nice (probably like a used x850 or something). This will allow me to increase my budget for the card (a few more weeks to save).

Thanks for all your help, and if you have ANY links to the Presler 930's in stock - that would be great :thup:

PS - fyshawk - you will love your 2005FPW. I have a 2000FP, and the 2005FPW is much nicer IMO...

Just to clear things up, the 6600GT will perform better then the 9800 PRO. It may not be a huge jump in performance - but it will outperform it.

Perfect. So, what do you do to "unlock" the pipes? - load a new BIOS into the card - and do you do that from your XP Desktop, or from a Bootable Floppy? Does unlocking the extra 4 Pipes affect temperature? I'm sure I'll figure it out AFTER the new build is all stable at or above 4GHz (Each Core :eek: ). Whoa yeah. Hopefully it will be ready to go mid-late next week.

Thanks JCW - I'll let ya know how it runs when the card arrives. Get it on the 9th. Great Thread! Kudos on the knowlege on this thread. Thanks to all!

1) What are your system specifications? Give us full specs:

CPU = P4 3.0 Prescott
Motherboard = Asus P4P800-E Deluxe
RAM = 1 X 1024MB XMS
PSU = 500w
etc.

2) >300
3) 2years min
4) What will the new Video Card be used for?
--- a) Counter-Strike Source / Doom / Tiger Woods / Home Movie Processing / Digital Multitracking

surjer said:

CPU = P4 3.0 Prescott
Motherboard = Asus P4P800-E Deluxe
RAM = 1 X 1024MB XMS
PSU = 500w
etc.

2) >300
3) 2years min
--- a) Counter-Strike Source / Doom / Tiger Woods / Home Movie Processing / Digital Multitracking

You already seem to have a great video card/system for what you're asking... Or were we late w/a reply? :rolleyes:

I think we were late perhaps :D

Anyway, Logrus, seems liek traffic to this thread has gone down drasticly, I'd suggest PMing a moderator to get the Sticky moved to the General GPU section.

jcw122 said:
I think we were late perhaps :D

Anyway, Logrus, seems liek traffic to this thread has gone down drasticly, I'd suggest PMing a moderator to get the Sticky moved to the General GPU section.
Yes, it would definitely get more attention there. That is anyway where everyone looks when they're getting a new card.

CPU = Opteron 146
Motherboard = DFI Ultra-D
RAM = 2GB G.Skill
PSU = 500watt Enermax Liberty

2) What is your budget? 250
3) For how long are you planning to have this new card? 1 year
--- a) Hard-Core Gaming - LOVE GAMING!

Back