• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Dell 30 INCH LCD MONITOR 14 MS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yeah, I don't think it'll be too much of an issue for today's games. I'd take a game like FEAR on high with a 30" screen over a MAX on a 24" screen. ANY DAY.

The problem will be games released next summer. 2xGTX512 could start to really strain.

I wonder if, almost like what Krag said, perhaps you could set the monitor to run at like a 20" res and just get those black bars you see in movies on the top and side edge of the screen? Almost like a reverse crop.

I mean, nobody would look forward to having to do that, but it's a better solution than buying TWO new high end video cards every 6 months.(That's $2,000 a year!) It'd be cool, it would automatically turn on for certain games, and when it turned off it would go back.

It would still technically keep the native res, but be drawing at a different res, would this still screw up the image?

infinitevalence said:
I would not worry to much about game play, i play all my games at 1920x1200 with all the eye candy turnd up to max and i still average around 60fps in most games, and 100+ in HL2 games. And this is only with a moded x800gto2. I figure that a 7800GTX would have no trouble pushing that kind of resolution.
I can't believe that you can run at that high of a resolution with everything turned on max (are you referring to AA and AF too?) and still getting over 100fps with the system you have in your sig. Mine gets around 60-70 max with everyhting (including AA/AF/HDR) turned all the way up on lost coast.

that is running at 1280x1024 as well...

tom10167 said:
I wonder if, almost like what Krag said, perhaps you could set the monitor to run at like a 20" res and just get those black bars you see in movies on the top and side edge of the screen? Almost like a reverse crop.

I mean, nobody would look forward to having to do that, but it's a better solution than buying TWO new high end video cards every 6 months.(That's $2,000 a year!) It'd be cool, it would automatically turn on for certain games, and when it turned off it would go back.

It would still technically keep the native res, but be drawing at a different res, would this still screw up the image?
The 2405 puts bars on the sides of the screen when not running at full res and it does it without distorting anything. Im pretty sure they would implement something similar on this 30" (I wish they took trade ins)

you don't have to run these at max resolution.

I have a 2005 FPW, and I usually game on it, at 1440 x 900 or 1280 x 800, to make some games run smoother, like Fear, which definatly does not like running at 1680 x 1050 with any real good level of AA and AF on...

all you have to do, is change the screen options from 1:1 to Fill.
the Aspect option works too, but somtimes, leaves alittlebit of black lines on the side or top, depending on the resolution.
you can easily take this screen, to a more manageable resolution, if your cards or games don't support such insane resolutions.

Imagine viewing a website thats made for 800x600 resolution maximized... imagine all the white space around :D

At least you'll NEVER have to scroll over again.

30"....added to shopping list...ok so 24" to for monitoring apps and 30" to watch my life...££s in hand....need to wait for release date though...waiting....waiting...release it already...

I really don't think you'd be able to play any modern game at 16:10 2xxx, regardless of the backend. Imagine how many lines of text you can display on that sucker though. Turn it 90 degrees and you could fit half a novella on the screen.

What the crap!?!?!? Just when I thought the 2405 was the Mother of all Monitors, Dell dreams up this?

This is something I'd use in a living room as an HTPC monitor and forget ever buying a TV.

SuperFarStucker said:
I really don't think you'd be able to play any modern game at 16:10 2xxx, regardless of the backend. Imagine how many lines of text you can display on that sucker though. Turn it 90 degrees and you could fit half a novella on the screen.

Most game manufacturers are intelligent enough to allow for some form of widescreen gaming, in fact it's prefered by a lot of people because of the extra viewing area. HL2 actually increases your viewing angle if you have a widescreen monitor, meaning you can see more than if you had a 4:3 aspect monitor.

Generally it can be done on any game if you're willing to take a little time to tweak.

ckj said:
Most game manufacturers are intelligent enough to allow for some form of widescreen gaming, in fact it's prefered by a lot of people because of the extra viewing area. HL2 actually increases your viewing angle if you have a widescreen monitor, meaning you can see more than if you had a 4:3 aspect monitor.

Generally it can be done on any game if you're willing to take a little time to tweak.

Ya but no one will beable to play most of any newer games at that res. Thats just plain insane. It would stress the cards too mcuh.

If this thing is more than $1100, forget it... I just got THIS for $1499! It is a true 1080p (1920 x 1080) res. 8ms response time. The speakers are ugly as hell but are removeable... 37" of lovin :D I hooked my 9300 up to it today via the HDMI > DVI and played some WoW. In-sane. I have never in my life seen such a huge screen for the computer. Anyway, that dell looks nice, but the specs dont, not with 14ms of ghosting hell.

Back