Finally got internet access, I'm back

Hi all. Been a very long time since I've posted here. But I'm finally able to start getting my farm back up & online. I moved a few months ago from town (where I had good broadband access) out to the country (out in the sticks!!!). I have a "real" farm now. No broadband availed here. The only internet access I could get was dialup, and 26k was the fastest speed I could get (old phone lines I think). I just don't have the patience to even bother with that! So I finally broke down & got a satellite hook up. Man....they really spank you for that! I could have built a really nice new rig for what I had to pay just to get it. And the monthly charge is very pricey! But anyway I have 2 rigs up right now. So I'm not plummeting down the rankings as much now. I still need to get my server back up (hopefully this week). Then I'll start adding my other rigs as time allows. Just haven't had the time to spend getting my farm back up like I'd like to. I'm remodeling our new house out at the farm & the old house in town. Looks like team 32 is really on the move. I've noticed quite a few new high power folders. Excellent!!! That's really great to see! You guys are doing a great job! Anyway, just wanted to say hi, and It's good to be back folding again!
    FOLD!!!

Senior Headphone Guru
    welcome back man!

I think when you left, F(OC)LD (one of the new 'high powers') hadn't been put together yet.... It's been a long time, and glad to have ya back.

glad to have you with us again and i was in almost the same boat as you cause i live out in the boondocks where the 56k sucked and i almost broke down for sattlite which is like a $500 install and payments at $60 a month but then they started to lay a new fiber optic cable out to my substation and now i got dsl
    Gamming Rig - MSI X58M, i7 920 @ 4Ghz, 2 x GTX275, 6GB G.SKILL DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
    File Server - DFI LANPARTY DK 790GX-M2RS, Phenom II X4 940 Deneb 3.0GHz, 7600GT KO, 4GB G.SKILL DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500), 19.5TB of Storage space
    - Black Belt Ubercloxx0r Heatware

Folding User Stats

Thanks guys! After I finally got back online & checked my stats, after being off for so long, I about croked when I saw how far down the rankes I had fallen. I don't mind folks passing me up when my farm is up. But thats really a bumer when you can't even contribute to the cause. Don't get me wrong, I'm always happy to see people cranking up their folding power. I wouldn't mind falling to the bottom of the last page, as long as I'm doing everything I can do. But at least I've got 2 rigs up now. I'll get my server up this week (another 2.3gbs), but it may be a while untill I get the rest of my farm back up online. Remodeling bites! But I'll get there eventually. Looks like there are a few new cores out now. I've got a lot of catching up to do. I wish I could just take a day & read up on some of the old posts to get current. But like most of you, I've got things to do, like working, remodeling, and so on. But its sure good to be back. Actually I've been back for about 2 weeks or so. But just now got around to makeing a post.
    FOLD!!!

Senior Headphone Guru
    yeah man.... a LOT has gone on since you were last here. Take some time and go through the last 15-20 pages of threads and catch up on things.

back!!

Senior Newbie Cannon-Fodder - R. I. P. good buddy :( pscout's Avatar
    We have not crossed paths ...since i am a relative newbie here (mar '05) but back ... more FOLDing powah ... and for THE TEAM!
    Main Rig - p5b-d, E6600@3.15
    Folding rigs - usually linux-64:
    2xQ6600 B3 @3.0, 3.1 p5w64, DS3
    4x Q6600 GO @ 3.1-3.3 on p35-DS3R/DS3L, p5k
    4x x3210 B3 @3.0-3.1 on DS3 rev 3.3
    x3220 B3 @3.0 on g33-ds2r
    3x E6600 @2.8-3.5 on p5b, ds3, p5w64
    E6320 @ 3.15 on ds3
    1x930 c1 @4.0 on p5wd2-E

Folding for OCF Team 32 as pete_scout

Forums Super Moderator
    Overclockers.com Lead Editor

Hiding from Americans and making pretty colours in a drybox in St Andrews
    Welcome back
    David J. Nelson MChem(Edin) PhD(Strath) MRSC [ResearcherID: D-3927-2011]
    OC Forums Super Moderator // Overclockers.com Editor

The Workhorse: [Lenovo W510] Intel Core i7-720QM / 8 GB DDR3 / nVidia Quadro FX880M / Crucial M4 256 GB SSD / Windows 7
    The HTPC/Server: AMD Phenom X4 9650 / 6 GB DDR2 / nVidia 8300 / 5 TB of HDDs / Antec Solo II Case / Windows 7
    The Gaming Rig: AMD Llano A6-3650 / 4 GB DDR3 / nVidia GTX260 / 2x 500 GB HDD in RAID0 / Antec Dark Fleet DF-85 Case / Windows 7
    The Benchmarking Setup: Various LGA775 chips / Asus Rampage Formula / 2 GB OCZ 1066 MHz DDR2 / nVidia Quadro NVS 285 / 320 GB HDD / Windows 7

My research fellowship is eating all my time, so I may be slow to reply to emails and private messages.

Senior Fold-a-holic
    I echo pscout's sentiments... relative noob to the Fold all around- but, back!

Thanks guys....it's nice to be around such a great group of folks!
    FOLD!!!

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducker
    Thanks guys! After I finally got back online & checked my stats, after being off for so long, I about croked when I saw how far down the rankes I had fallen.
    back d00d
    I can't imagine being on dial up. I'd just give up on regular internet forums and stick to news readers and email lists. Folding would be out of the question for the huge WUs the are dishing out now.

The quickest way for you to catch up is to build as many P4 class layers as you can afford them and start folding QMDs. Four 3GHz P4s would easily put you in red territory.

I have only 3 Intel processors running them but it adds up to most of my PPD. I'm holding ~#45 in the top 50 here with only 5 processors on the strenth of those 100% points bonus QMDs get. I keep getting bumped down but eventually enough of the top 50 folders flame out and I pass 'em to stay in with the big dogs
    .....................................My HeatwareMyFAH Stats
    .......................Folding is a marathon, not a sprint audioaficionado
    Asus Commando, 8GB GSkill 5-5-5-15-2t PC6400, Q6600 @3.0GHz >SMP2+GPU3 FAH 24/7
    Gigabyte DS3, 3GB GSkill 5-5-5-15-2t PC6400, E6400 @3.0GHz
    Asus P5Q PRO Turbo, 4GB GSkill 5-5-5-15-2t PC6400, E6600 @3.0GHz
    Iwill DH800, 2GB OCZ4002048PFDC-K 2.5-3-3-8-1t, Dual 2.4 M0 Xeons 1.5v/880/3300
    Help improve overclockers.com! Get involved!

You have over 101 signatures and Can't see the classifieds???Click This Link
    Anyone we catch cookie stuffing at this site will be banned on the spot!!

Welcome back,

Now that's what I call a dedicated Folder. He plunked down some major ducks for internet just so he get/send WUs. We're proud of ya, Fold On!
    Main Rigs
    Developement -Phen2 1090T on Asus 870
    Fun -Callisto 555BE, Asus 990FX Sabortooth,ATI HD3870
    CDs, Labels, Printing etc- 5000BBE, GA790FX, Wintec 800 4G.HD2600XT
    Rendering Server- 4x Barcelona 8347s. Tyan S4980 Quad, 16G (2G Kingston per socket).
    Folding, Testing- Vista, Regor 265 X2 on Asus 880,
    dead- Phen2-940
    AM2, DFI790FX-M2R,Corsair-PC6400 CL4
    Theme Park Builder 3D The Game- Build-em and Ride-em.

No internet!? That means no online gaming!!! OMG how did you survive!?

Glad your back.
    "There is only two reasons to ever get into this field either as a hobby or a career, frustration or fascination. Unfortunately no matter which one has led you here today, I guarantee it will eventully lead to the other."
    "Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
    "If the women don't find you handsome, and I'm quessing they don't, they should at least find you handy."

Welcome back Ducker.
    Shame on the night..... for places i've been and what i've seen... For giving me the strangest dreams - Dio(RIP)

I have to use dialup when I visit my parents. It is so agonizing. I couldnt imagin having to use it all the time. Welcome back. Im one of those noobs.

Master of teh Ghetto Mods ghettocomp's Avatar
    Choosing between two evils, I might pick the one I've never tried before.
    I think I would DIE! without access.
    I find that most people are like Slinkies.. They are not really good for anything, but can still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs. :P

back Ducker!!

i cant imagine no Internet, ive been "on-line" one way or another since '95...

i had satellite @ work for a year or so. (B4 the town got cable) the ping times suck... worse than dial-up sometimes (no gaming, thats for sure) but the packet size is good; should work out just fine for FOLDing and Forums

good luck getting back "up to speed", the team has really "turned it up" as of late
    -->> Help US fight: CANCER, Alzheimer's, Parkinson's & MORE with YOUR computer <<--
    Joe Camel is FOLDing for Team 32
    R.I.P pete_scout I wish we could have FOLDed a cure, for you.
    HEAT
    "So you see, it's not at all pointless, you just have to look for a different point" ... hafa 5/17/04
    6800 EX Conroe @ 4740 MHz (395 x 12) - - Dry-Ice in The Camel Pipe -
    - X1900 CrossFire @ 846/945 - - MachII Slave, D-Ice Master -
    - 2x gig Corsair XMS 6400 CAS3 @ 494 MHz 4-4-3-1 -
    - ASUS P5W-DH - - 700w "Mr Zippy" PSU

i cant imagine no Internet, ive been "on-line" one way or another since '95...

Yes I've been online with either cable or before I moved with dsl for many years. Then going down to sub 26k dialup service, well I just wouldn't even bother with it. My wife even got tired of it, never liked the service, just the price. But I'm happy with this satilite service (WildBlue) there download speeds are actually pretty much what they claimed. But the upload isn't quit up to par. But hay, with a choice of 26k or 1500kbps....just got to bite the bullet & pay the piper.
    FOLD!!!