• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Finally got internet access, I'm back

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ducker

Hi all. Been a very long time since I've posted here. But I'm finally able to start getting my farm back up & online. I moved a few months ago from town (where I had good broadband access) out to the country (out in the sticks!!!). I have a "real" farm now. No broadband availed here. The only internet access I could get was dialup, and 26k was the fastest speed I could get (old phone lines I think). I just don't have the patience to even bother with that! So I finally broke down & got a satellite hook up. Man....they really spank you for that! I could have built a really nice new rig for what I had to pay just to get it. And the monthly charge is very pricey! But anyway I have 2 rigs up right now. So I'm not plummeting down the rankings as much now. I still need to get my server back up (hopefully this week). Then I'll start adding my other rigs as time allows. Just haven't had the time to spend getting my farm back up like I'd like to. I'm remodeling our new house out at the farm & the old house in town. Looks like team 32 is really on the move. I've noticed quite a few new high power folders. Excellent!!! That's really great to see! You guys are doing a great job! Anyway, just wanted to say hi, and It's good to be back folding again!

welcome back man!

I think when you left, F(OC)LD (one of the new 'high powers') hadn't been put together yet.... It's been a long time, and glad to have ya back.

glad to have you with us again and i was in almost the same boat as you cause i live out in the boondocks where the 56k sucked and i almost broke down for sattlite which is like a $500 install and payments at $60 a month but then they started to lay a new fiber optic cable out to my substation and now i got dsl :p

Thanks guys! After I finally got back online & checked my stats, after being off for so long, I about croked when I saw how far down the rankes I had fallen. I don't mind folks passing me up when my farm is up. But thats really a bumer when you can't even contribute to the cause. Don't get me wrong, I'm always happy to see people cranking up their folding power. I wouldn't mind falling to the bottom of the last page, as long as I'm doing everything I can do. But at least I've got 2 rigs up now. I'll get my server up this week (another 2.3gbs), but it may be a while untill I get the rest of my farm back up online. Remodeling bites! But I'll get there eventually. Looks like there are a few new cores out now. I've got a lot of catching up to do. I wish I could just take a day & read up on some of the old posts to get current. But like most of you, I've got things to do, like working, remodeling, and so on. But its sure good to be back. Actually I've been back for about 2 weeks or so. But just now got around to makeing a post.

yeah man.... a LOT has gone on since you were last here. Take some time and go through the last 15-20 pages of threads and catch up on things.

We have not crossed paths ...since i am a relative newbie here (mar '05) but :welcome: back ... more FOLDing powah ... and for THE TEAM!

I echo pscout's sentiments... relative noob to the Fold all around- but, :welcome: back!

Ducker said:
Thanks guys! After I finally got back online & checked my stats, after being off for so long, I about croked when I saw how far down the rankes I had fallen.
:welcome: back d00d :clap:
I can't imagine being on dial up. I'd just give up on regular internet forums and stick to news readers and email lists. Folding would be out of the question for the huge WUs the are dishing out now.

The quickest way for you to catch up is to build as many P4 class layers as you can afford them and start folding QMDs. Four 3GHz P4s would easily put you in red territory.

I have only 3 Intel processors running them but it adds up to most of my PPD. I'm holding ~#45 in the top 50 here with only 5 processors on the strenth of those 100% points bonus QMDs get. I keep getting bumped down but eventually enough of the top 50 folders flame out and I pass 'em to stay in with the big dogs :D

Welcome back,

Now that's what I call a dedicated Folder. He plunked down some major ducks for internet just so he get/send WUs. We're proud of ya, Fold On!

I have to use dialup when I visit my parents. It is so agonizing. I couldnt imagin having to use it all the time. Welcome back. Im one of those noobs.

:welcome: back Ducker!!

i cant imagine no Internet, ive been "on-line" one way or another since '95...

i had satellite @ work for a year or so. (B4 the town got cable) the ping times suck... worse than dial-up sometimes (no gaming, thats for sure) but the packet size is good; should work out just fine for FOLDing and Forums :)

good luck getting back "up to speed", the team has really "turned it up" as of late :clap:

i cant imagine no Internet, ive been "on-line" one way or another since '95...

Yes I've been online with either cable or before I moved with dsl for many years. Then going down to sub 26k dialup service, well I just wouldn't even bother with it. My wife even got tired of it, never liked the service, just the price. But I'm happy with this satilite service (WildBlue) there download speeds are actually pretty much what they claimed. But the upload isn't quit up to par. But hay, with a choice of 26k or 1500kbps....just got to bite the bullet & pay the piper.

Back