• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

820 temps under load????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

M Diddy

Hey guys. I replaced my crappy Gigabyte 945p-Pro mobo today with an Asus P5LD2 deluxe and noticed a big increase in temps. With my GB board, my OC'd 820 idled at 32-35 and under load was 51-52. I cleaned the old AS5 off with electric cleaner, reapplied the normal small amount, and in my Asus board I'm at 44-45 idle and 60-61 underload. Is that a safe temp for the CPU???

I'm running a Zalman 9500 and OC'd to 3.45 with a VCore of 1.3875. PC is Prime stable and seems to be running strong.

Also, This just started when I upped the FSB to 245, but now, when I restart, the PC completly turns off after getting out of XP or even when exiting the BIOS, and turns itself back on. I know it's not normal, but the thing seems solid running in Windows and only has this little glitch. Am I clocked to high or is there a setting I'm missing somwhere?

Thanks much!

Temps are within spec but def not ideal. I believe spec on the 820 is 69C?? All things being equal otherwise, could be that the AS5 needs some burn-in time or maybe the mobo you're using now just runs hot?

I can't see it running THAT much hotter though. This one is even supposed to have Asus' Stackcool feature that's supposed to drop temps more then normal.

When I was installing the 9500 this time it was sliding around a whole lot before I got to bolt it down so I'm going to pull it off today today, clean it off, re-seat it, and bolt it down without moving it. Hopefully that'll cool it down some.

I also was wondering about this. I cant really get it to sit on the heatsink fully without moving around a little bit. From what I have heard, its a good thing to let it move around a little bit because it gets the AS5 in all the little cracks and properly distributes it. Its pretty hard to get it to sit still, especially with the clamp they gave you. You have to thead one bolt in, and the push the other clamp down since it wont get threaded without some force. Arghhh, I think I am going to get a 90c or 120 instead. This 9500 only cost me 30 bucks so I not too much at a loss.

I will also be getting a 820 soon so thats why I was posting too. should have it here in a week or two, along with a p5wd2. I will post on my temps after i get it running.

I just got rid of my p5ld2 and my 820. YES, it does turn itself completly off and then turn back on when it restarts. It was kind of weird at first but you get used to it. My temps were around 60c load on water at 3.75ghz 1.375v.

mine doesn't. I think you guys have bad boards. byt 60C under load under water is high, I hit 55C under load with two instances of F@H on air.

OC4life said:
I just got rid of my p5ld2 and my 820. YES, it does turn itself completly off and then turn back on when it restarts. It was kind of weird at first but you get used to it. My temps were around 60c load on water at 3.75ghz 1.375v.

Wierd thing is, if my FSB is under say 230 MHZ or so, it restarts normally. It's only when I go over 240 or so that it starts to shut off on restarts. It's not a huge deal, but when the speakers are on, they make a little noise. If it's normal, I'm not gonna worry about it.

I also took the 9500 off today, cleaned both that and the CPU with my cleaner, and put a dab of AS5 on. This time I held the 9500 centered on the CPU and tightened it down. My idle dropped a little to 42-42 and I'm only hitting 58 or so under load. That's with FSB set to 245 and VCore at 1.40. My OCZ Gold is slightly underclocked at 658 MHZ at 4-4-4-8. PC is prime stable and shows no other ill signs other then that shutdown.

your idle temps are high, I have the same setup. It would help to know what your setup is, please post what you have like how my sig is. It is possible that one core is not as good of an ocer as one, but I'm starting to lean towards a power issue or a cooling issue.

Your speakers should crackle or make any noise either.

dicecca112 said:
your idle temps are high, I have the same setup. It would help to know what your setup is, please post what you have like how my sig is. It is possible that one core is not as good of an ocer as one, but I'm starting to lean towards a power issue or a cooling issue.

Your speakers should crackle or make any noise either.

Done with the signature. As far as cooling, Ias I said before, with my GB board, I was running temps of 34-35 idle and 50-51 load. As soon as I switched to this board, they made the jump.

One question, how are you running that OC on stock voltage???

Oh, and the speaker noise is a little "pop" when the PC shuts down....

Just got off the phone with Asus Tech support. According to them the rebooting on restarts is normal. It's part of the Asus C.P.R (CPU Perameter Recall) feature. Guess it's nothing to worry about....

right, I think there blowing smoke, but whatever. Yeah the pop you describe is normal, how am I running it stock lucky I just guess. But I think I was right, I'm not a fan of TT powersupplies, it could be what is holding you back

How bout this one??? I just noticed in Speedfan, "Temp3" is reading 119 C!!!!! What the hell is that???? That can't be right!

Temp 1 is my Mobo, temp 2 is my CPU, what the hell is temp 3????

dicecca112 said:
its just that speedfan is not coded correctly for our board, it could be a sensor, or it could be nothing. s

You're prolly right. Funny thing it was reading a semi-normal temp for the first few times I used it, then it jumped to 119. Scared the hell out of me for a second! :D

Also, temps are now:

42 idle
56 load

A lot better then before! I also went to stock VCore, well all but stock. 1.3 is what I'm at now and PC is stable.

EternalX said:
I also was wondering about this. I cant really get it to sit on the heatsink fully without moving around a little bit. From what I have heard, its a good thing to let it move around a little bit because it gets the AS5 in all the little cracks and properly distributes it. Its pretty hard to get it to sit still, especially with the clamp they gave you. You have to thead one bolt in, and the push the other clamp down since it wont get threaded without some force. Arghhh, I think I am going to get a 90c or 120 instead. This 9500 only cost me 30 bucks so I not too much at a loss.

I will also be getting a 820 soon so thats why I was posting too. should have it here in a week or two, along with a p5wd2. I will post on my temps after i get it running.

If you buy the XP-90c you will be at a loss, it's performance is about equal to Zalman 7000Cu. That 9500 is about the best air cooling HS on the market right now. The will rotate, but not more then maybe 15-20degrees, BTW it is recmmended to rotate the heasink once it's ontop of the processor to spread out the TIM.

Here's how you bolt it down: Mount the crossbar retainer on the heatsink and put the bolts in the correct holes in the crossbar. Now take the entire contraption and visually line up either bolt with the correct hole in the MB bracket. Screw that bolt in maybe 1-2 threads. Now insert wrench into the head of the opposite bolt and press down(enough pressure to get the bolt in the hole and then while still applying force thread the bolt a couple threads. Now I did one full turn of the wrench alternating between the 2 bolts so to be applying even pressure, do this untill bolts are entirely in all the way. Now rotate the heatsink into the spot you want it and it will stay there. The AS5 will take 200hr with a few cools to room temp to set in.

Back