Page 1 of 39 1 2 11 ... LastLast
    Moderator/ Silver Paste Taster© Silversinksam's Avatar
    10 Year Badge

Exclamation All Classified Users Must Read This With Regard To Classified Users' E-mail

Effective 7/17/05

We have eliminated the use of Gmail and every other generic e-mail in OCforum Classified user's profiles. We will be allowing ISP e-mails, .edu and .gov only. Anyone that does not update their profile to one of those will not be using the classifieds. The users can hide their E-mails in their profiles so it is visible to the Staff only.

We are giving you 30 days from today to update your e-mails on file. If for some reason you are unable to use a ISP based e-mail, .Edu or .Gov, please contact Lutawicasa or myself and we will see if your circumstance is reason enough to make an exception.

Reasons such as these below will result in us telling you NO, an exception will not be made:
    • My parents won't allow me
    • Does this rule apply to me, I've been here for a long time
    • I own my own domain, can I use that e-mail
    We will possibly allow exceptions based on situations like these:
    • I am abroad and my situation is unique
    • I'm in the military
    • My school does not use a .Edu, we use a .com or .net
    • A member is on the road and has no static ISP
    Last edited by Silversinksam; 03-16-09 at 02:49 PM.
    -15 May 2012: On Hiatus helping bees and the planet at the moment

-You have over 101 signatures and Can't see the classifieds??? Click this link.

My Heatware

10 Year Badge
    Unbelievably I am still finding people that have ignored this policy, effective immediately No warnings to *anyone will be given, and they will be removed from the classifieds, if they comply they will not be reinstated for a minimum of 90 days FROM THE TIME THEY COMPLY. If it is a new member we reserve the right to give them a 24 hour window to get with the program. *(A new user is a member here for 30 days or less)

FROM THE CLASSIFIED FEEDBACK AND SUGGESTION SECTION

My Heatware

Forums Super Moderator
    Overclockers.com Lead Editor

10 Year Badge
    Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile
    Copied from the Classifieds. Read, comprehend, act.
    David J. Nelson MChem(Edin) PhD(Strath) MRSC [ResearcherID: D-3927-2011] [Google Scholar]
    OC Forums Super Moderator // Overclockers.com Editor

The Workhorse: [Lenovo W510] Intel Core i7-720QM / 8 GB DDR3 / nVidia Quadro FX880M / Crucial M4 256 GB SSD / Windows 7
    The Home Machine: AMD Llano A6-3650 APU / 8 GB DDR3 / Lots of HDDs / Antec Dark Fleet DF-85 Case / Windows 7
    The Benchmarking Setup: Various LGA775 chips / Asus Rampage Formula / 2 GB OCZ 1066 MHz DDR2 / nVidia Quadro NVS 285 / 320 GB HDD / Windows 7 [ Untouched for well over a year ]

My research fellowship is eating all my time, so I may be slow to reply to emails and private messages.

10 Year Badge
    Heatware Profile
    What SSS said....read or lose! Its getting rediculous!
    I.M.O.G. "It's a plugin issue," ...

Asus P8P67 Pro
    4g Corsair Dominator 667
    6970 Crossfire
    1t Hitachi
    Win 7

Disabled
    But my dog ate my homework!!!111!!!!

10 Year Badge
    Heatware Profile
    Quote Originally Posted by Malpine Walis
    But my dog ate my homework!!!111!!!!
    heh! Don't think they ahvent' tried that one either.

Asus P8P67 Pro
    4g Corsair Dominator 667
    6970 Crossfire
    1t Hitachi
    Win 7

Its annoying that people don't listen. They should, but they don't. Maybe you all should make it a policy that only ISP, .edu, and .gov email addresses are allowed although frankly those that haven't figured it out by now probablly aren't going to. Its getting ridiculous, isn't it.

10 Year Badge
    Quote Originally Posted by ZhengHe
    Its annoying that people don't listen. They should, but they don't. Maybe you all should make it a policy that only ISP, .edu, and .gov email addresses are allowed although frankly those that haven't figured it out by now probablly aren't going to. Its getting ridiculous, isn't it.
    We also allow people in the military to use a generic if they can prove they are in the military. (All they do is send me an email from a .mil email)

It's not annoying to me, It will be annoying to those that ignore the rules when they find themselves locked out of the classifieds for 90 days from this point forward. [IMG]http://smiley.onegreatguy.net/*****.gif[/IMG]

My Heatware

Quote Originally Posted by krag
    heh! Don't think they ahvent' tried that one either.
    My dog ate my isp email address?
    Lost access to the classifieds? Look here.
    Forum Policies
    Sig Rules

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened."
    -Sir Winston Churchill

10 Year Badge
    SSS, just read what I guess we'd call part 2, and i'm really surprised it even had to happen. For God's sake this isn't like something new. Sad, but obviously some people didn't GAS.

10 Year Badge
    Quote Originally Posted by stool
    SSS, just read what I guess we'd call part 2, and i'm really surprised it even had to happen. For God's sake this isn't like something new. Sad, but obviously some people didn't GAS.

It's actually a forum wide rule that's been in effect since 2002. We are enforcing it in the Classifieds only at this time, this is to better protect the community from Trolls.

My Heatware

† SU(3) Moderator †
    10 Year Badge
    Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile
    The next person who starts whining about losing Classifides access, quite obviously ignoring several announcements in EVERY section, needs his/her jaws re-arranged

Come on guys, it takes a few minutes to comply. Why are you ignoring a simple rule like this?
    Motherboard Repair Tutorial || Power Supply Repair Tutorial || A Closer Look at PSU Signals ||
    Understanding SMPS Technology
    || ASUS P5K Capacitor mod || Kernel Compile Guide || Guide to Wiping an SSD

Build in progress
    ASUS Maximus Hero || i5-4670K || Crucial M500-480Gb || Antec HCP-850M || ASUS GTX 750Ti || Carbide 300R || Coolermaster Glacer 240L

Changed from my Gmail email addy...reluctantly. I never use the email in my profile now but w/e.

10 Year Badge
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Nade
    The next person who starts whining about losing Classifides access, quite obviously ignoring several announcements in EVERY section, needs his/her jaws re-arranged
    The more they whine after we kick them out of the Classifieds the longer they will wait if and when they decide to comply. I got back from vacation and I am not giving anyone any warning, they have had since July to get this rectified.

Here is one example of a person that will be kicked out. This is an email where they contacted me

I don't have access to the ISP email, as silly as it sounds... adelphia is really ghey and I spent over an 1 hour with tech support trying to access it and simply cannot. They never did fix the problem and as it stands nobody in my family even thinks twice about not being able to access it.

As I said, He will be kicked out of the Classifieds, and I won't think twice about it..

Here's another, this guy thinks I'm an idiot and I don't know how many e-mails Sprint/Earthlink provides (which is EIGHT, not one as he claims):

Quote Originally Posted by Silversinksam
    The least expensive basic DSL EarthLink/Sprint service includes eight mailboxes

Quote Originally Posted by XXXXXX
    a few week ago i got dsl and it is the sprint/earthlink package and from what i can tell they only hand out 1 email address which is in my moms name. my current IP is tx.71.xx.xxx.5.dhcp.sprint-hsd.net or tx-71-xx-xx-5.dhcp.sprint-hsd.net i am not sure which way it is typed and i thought the OCforums server had my ip on file.

if there is any other way i can confirm who i am please let me know
    At this point, these people will be kicked and they can *****, moan and complain till they are blue in the face. It's their problem not mine, it's their choice that they have ignored the rules layed down to protect the community.

My Heatware

I've got a question.... how do you check if someone's email is valid? Do you just have a search algorithm that checks for .gov .edu ...etc?

I'm probably answering my own question, but I was just curious.

10 Year Badge
    Heatware Profile
    I thought it was common knowledge that all Mods have X-ray glasses?

We have acsess to all of your info that you have used to register with the forums.

Asus P8P67 Pro
    4g Corsair Dominator 667
    6970 Crossfire
    1t Hitachi
    Win 7

10 Year Badge
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb856
    I've got a question.... how do you check if someone's email is valid? Do you just have a search algorithm that checks for .gov .edu ...etc?

I'm probably answering my own question, but I was just curious.

Its simple, if an email is bogus then the accounts go into limbo until the user confirms and responds to the automatic email responder, this is to assure the email they list is the email they actually have.

As far as Edu, Gov and the like, we can see them in the admin/Mod control panel, The IP, actual email and other info is there.

My Heatware

but what if its a valid email so thier account is active, but its not thier isp email, i know you can search for all the users who are using like a yahoo, hotmail, gmail or other big name free email providers, but what about users who have thier own domain names or they use a small local isp?
    Dell 2405FPW | Dell 2001FP
    Xeon X3210 @ 2.8GHz | Watercooled
    Asus P5B Deluxe Wifi | 3x1GB Crucial Ballistix PC2-6400
    eVGA Geforce 8800GT
    Seagate 320GB | Seagate 500GB | Seagate 750GB | 3x WD 400GB
    X-fi Platinum
    NEC 3540A | NEC 3550A

† SU(3) Moderator †
    10 Year Badge
    Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile
    Sorry mate. That is not allowed either. Please read the first post. It is very clearly spelled out. AFAIK, self owned domains are not allowed, ISP's are. Even if it is a small ISP. However, I believe that ISP must have a traceable address (postal and internet) and a legally registered business. Can't start up an ISP by sharing your bandwidth with your buddies.
    Motherboard Repair Tutorial || Power Supply Repair Tutorial || A Closer Look at PSU Signals ||
    Understanding SMPS Technology
    || ASUS P5K Capacitor mod || Kernel Compile Guide || Guide to Wiping an SSD

Build in progress
    ASUS Maximus Hero || i5-4670K || Crucial M500-480Gb || Antec HCP-850M || ASUS GTX 750Ti || Carbide 300R || Coolermaster Glacer 240L

10 Year Badge
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Nade
    Can't start up an ISP by sharing your bandwidth with your buddies.
    I have heard that excuse already and worse....

While we try to work with the members that may have hardship, we must draw the line somewhere. As Super Nade is well aware, This Classified e-mail policy is not done because we want to make people's lives difficult, it's done because the fact is, there are trolls out there that want to seperate our members from their wallets, we're just trying to make it tough on trolls so they go find easier pastures elsewhere. It sucks that our good fortune is someone else's headache, but I told Skip many moons ago I would stop the con men from attempting to rip people off here. And with the help of the staff and many members hard work, this has worked out.
    Last edited by Silversinksam; 12-15-05 at 12:34 AM.

My Heatware

Page 1 of 39 1 2 11 ... LastLast