• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

It was like finding treasure buried under a heatspreader

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

futura2001

I was cleaning my ram and as I was carefully removing the heatspreader from my 1gb kit of no name ram I got from a local retailer a looong time ago, what do I see under the thermal pad? An AData hologram sticker. The morons hadn't even taken the trouble to remove the stickers from the ram before affixing thermal pad and heatspreader. Turns out I had ADD8608A8A-5B chips under those heatspreaders all along.
Now I'm at a loss: I was going to get the G.Skill pc4000 2gb kit, but as I had this ram up to the high 230s, low 240s on my now defunct NF7-S I am wondering if this ram still has some potential that could make me wait until DDR prices drop even further. Or, alternatively does this ram have any resale value in order to offset the price of the G.Skill?

I don't know anything about retail value, but I believe it will serve you just fine with an A64 rig. My only hedge would be that some of the older kits were optimized for NF2 systems and may struggle to OC in an A64 system. It is definitely worth a try before investing money in ram.

Yeah, I am going to run it in the a64 rig and see what it can do. Worst case scenario is that I get myself some G.Skill or Ballistix for the holidays.

Back