• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Whow do I overclock a P4 630 3.0GHz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

max_clock

I am not too familiar with P4 systems, what do I need and how do I overclock this cpu? Also, I dont know nothing about the 630 overclocking capabilities? Im planing to buy the ASRock 775Dual-880pro, it is cheap and future proof because it supports AGP8x, PCI-E 16x, DDR and DDRII. Is this a good mobo?
Please help with this.

Honestly that ASRock is probably a POS and I def would not consider it "Future Proof" because AGP is discontinued and PCI-E is NOW not the future.

Just like xTrEmEoVrClOcKr said, go with the Asus P5WD2 Premium.

xTrEmEoVrClOcKr said:
I would go for the P5WD2 Premium w/ a 630. The 630s have been known to do 4.2ghz stable w/ little voltage.

I second this. The P5WD2-P is one of the best boards out right now.

This rig is to use with an AGP ATi Radeon 9250. The P5DW2 is a very expensive board. That mobo costs more than the P4 630 + 775Dual-880pro.
Any other sugestions? Nobody knows how to overclock this cpu?

First rule in overclocking is get a good motherboard. That's what we are trying to explain. I would not recommend getting that mobo you listed. If you want a decent O/C get an Intel chipset. The Abit AW8 is one of the cheaper i955 mobos I'd recommend. Newegg has a refurb that's a little less cash. If you don't need an upgrade path to dual core processors, then maybe look for a good deal on an Abit AA8XE.

If you need an AGP setup, look at the Abit AS8, which is a great board once you do the vcore droop mod. Also of note is the DFI 865PE-TAG, or the 875P-T.

Max_clock, we all know how to OC an Intel 630 its just there is absolutely no point explaining how to OC it if you aren't going to get a quality motherboard.

Like batboy said, you MUST start with a solid motherboard. In all honesty you could get a 915 chipset motherboard, still use your old ddr1 ram and grab a 6600gt pci-e for $100. (though a 915 chipset would limit your OC ability)

There is no point in upgrading to a 630 and still using agp and ddr1, you might as well just wait until you can afford a better mobo and go to pci-e and ddr2.

Agreed. Motherboard is very important in overclocking, if you want the 4.2 than try not to skimp on the board

Killaapp said:
Max_clock, we all know how to OC an Intel 630 its just there is absolutely no point explaining how to OC it if you aren't going to get a quality motherboard.

Like batboy said, you MUST start with a solid motherboard. In all honesty you could get a 915 chipset motherboard, still use your old ddr1 ram and grab a 6600gt pci-e for $100. (though a 915 chipset would limit your OC ability)

There is no point in upgrading to a 630 and still using agp and ddr1, you might as well just wait until you can afford a better mobo and go to pci-e and ddr2.

The rig is not for me. Is for a friend of mine that doesnt understand too much about pc´s. The problem is that he has little money to spend with the new parts. His current rig is total crap (P3 1000MHz, 512Mb SDR133 and crappy mobo) and he needs a new cpu, mobo and memory. I dont bother if the mobo doesnt allow too much OC. He said his going to run the cpu at stock speed or with little oc.
Also he told me that the new parts are going to use his ATi Radeon 9250, at least for now. That why the ASRock 775Dual-880pro seems a good mobo to him. It has DDR and DDRII, AGP8x and PCI-express. Thats just what he is going to need.

I'm sure that mobo is nothing short of crap. With the current computer your friend is using, it sounds like his next upgrade will be five years down the line. By then we will be using ddr4 and something well beyond PCI-E. There is absolutely no reason to ever use that asrock motherboard.

If he needs a system where he can use his old agp card, just buy an Abit IC7-G, a pentium 4 3.0E socket 478, and 2x512 of value ram. That will serve him just fine.

There is no such thing as "future-proofing" a computer. In 3 months the current technology is old and what came out last year is already going obsolete. Don't fall into the trap of thinking you need to buy parts for tomorrows upgrades.

i have a asrock775dual880-pro motherboard its cheap and it supports up to 1066mhz fsb both agp and pci-e and ddr2 and ddr memory
my specs: pentium 4 630 3.0ghz @ 3.6ghz with stock cooler
so cheap is sometimes good aswell :cool:

Attachments

• screenshot1.jpg
    screenshot1.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 1,330
well, since this got bumped...

id like to 2nd Know Nuttin's Abit AS8 suggestion, i have an AS8 with a 630 @ 4.1GHZ and a AS8-V with a 630 @ 4.0GHz
no mods just GOOD cooling (Big Typhoon with 90+ CFM fan)

these are both FOLDing (24/7 for 3+ weeks now) STABLE OCs :)

best rule-of-thumb EVER:
you get what you pay for

... and ...

First rule in overclocking is:
get a good motherboard

GOOD LUCK!!

I don't understand, if your friend is using a mobo with SDRAM why would he get a board with ddr and ddr2?? Why would you need two differant ddr DIMM's?? Why not just get a decent mobo (my vote is for the abit aa8xe), and just go with ddr2? its cheaper then ddr1.... Its not like he already has a set of ddr1 sticks, he's got PC133 so he'll have ot upgrade it no matter what.

DDR2 is cheap but looking at what your saying I would say look for some reviews of that board and see what people say about. I thought about building a second rig around one personally.

Best bet for this application I think would be an ATI chipset though.

Also Stang has a good point about DDR2 it as cheaper or cheaper than DDR and low end stuff stills allows for more overclocking and at stock speeds(267MHZ) will give you better results than ddr @stock(200).

Joe Camel said:
well, since this got bumped...

id like to 2nd Know Nuttin's Abit AS8 suggestion, i have an AS8 with a 630 @ 4.1GHZ and a AS8-V with a 630 @ 4.0GHz
no mods just GOOD cooling (Big Typhoon with 90+ CFM fan)

these are both FOLDing (24/7 for 3+ weeks now) STABLE OCs :)

best rule-of-thumb EVER:
you get what you pay for

... and ...

First rule in overclocking is:
get a good motherboard

GOOD LUCK!!

Best rule of thumb doesn't always apply. For instance I bought a Intel 875P board. Wasn't exactly cheap. Great board, rock solid but you can't OC it. Period. Now that I know better I'll never buy an Intel board again until they decide to get rid of the locks on it.

Can't Overclock a 875P board eh? Who built your board? Whats the model?

Not all boards are created equal. Oh and if you bought an Intel built motherboard for overclocking you might as well have bought a Dell, HP, Sony, etc... They care about stability first, options second. Intel boards are bullet proof. But you have to get a decent Abit or Asus intel chipset motherboard for overclocking with Intel.

Back