• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel 820 or Amd 3800x2 for upgrade?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

monk3y_furr

Registered
Hi, looking to upgrade to dual core. Not too sure which to go for....either a 820 or amd 3800x2. Ive found an 820 for about £165 and 3800x2 for £235. Im planning on overclocking a little bit but seeing as this cpu will be going into a sff it wont be pushed too hard neways! Is the extra £70 worth it for the 3800x2 over the intel 820?

If it's going into an SFF, I would recommend going with the X2 3800+. The current Smithfield Pentium D's run very hot and not what I would consider ideal for an SFF case.

depending on the cooling a 820 would be fine. Mine hits 40idle overclocked 600mhz. Unoced it would be considerably less. But if I had to choose, I'd go with the x2

Maybe wait for a 920 ? Or if u will buy it now, then a X2 is curently a better choice. (But as you see, it cost much more)

I would wait on the 9xx Presslers. You can get it for about the same price as the 820, it will run cooler, it has more cache than the two you are presently looking at, and will be a real performer. It has already clocked higher at lower voltage than any other CPU that's been made. At around 1.3v vCore it will clock 4.5 on stock cooling. Nothing can match that on stock cooling. For an SFF you want stability. The 9xx Presslers are due out Dec. 27. Do yourself a favor and hold out for them...you'll be glad you did. :)

If the 9xx is going to be around the same prices as the current 8 series then that looks like the best choice for the price. However will it require another chipset?, the sff i'm looking at will either have a radeon express (amd) or 945 (intel) chipset.

does anybody know when AMD will release lower power cheaper X2? i read in anandtech that they are waiting for it

Get the X2 if you game, otherwise wait and see if the 9xx series chips are any good.

A dual core turion with a better memory controller would be a very nice low power dual. Come on AMD release Taylor!

Back