Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Water cooling nightmare stories

I'm one to learn by mistakes.. whether or not if they are my own or someone else's I usually won't go down the same path.
    If we had some stories in here of things that has happened to people in the past that would be helpful and possibly entertaining :P
    IE: Leaks, fires, fish in the lines etc..

so if you got one.. lemme hear it

yeah i second that... i wanna hear scary and sad stories too

You can't fire me, I have tenure!
    Don't get an acrylic topped three barb block. They crack. And drown your entire system.

It sucks
    "There it is, ladies and gentlemen: the most expensive car in the world, dressed up like a mouse."

Why yes, I do have Heat!

---
    Welcome to the forums. Please read all of the forum rules. Thank you =) --- What mods are active that I can PM my concerns to?

my thermaltake block cracked on its own... i removed it from my system and left it on my desk..it was fine when i left it there.. 2 weeks later there was a masiv crack and it hadnt been moved touched or anything,good job i took that piece of crap out when i did...

p.s what hapend when yours cracked apart from getting wet... anything die as a result?

Norway - subzero watercooling in winter :D
    The tubing near the outlet of my pump was clogged because I was cleaning it and replacing the water, so it was running with car radiator detergent. The pressure buildup made the tubing on the outlet of the pump fall off. As a result I had a 30cm high fountain inside my pc. Lucky for me that the computer was not plugged in, and I had removed some of the hardware while cleaning it. Had to replace my mobo, but everything else worked.

oh man that sucks!
    keep the stories rolling... great monday morning reading material.

You can't fire me, I have tenure!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tat2monsta
    my thermaltake block cracked on its own... i removed it from my system and left it on my desk..it was fine when i left it there.. 2 weeks later there was a masiv crack and it hadnt been moved touched or anything,good job i took that piece of crap out when i did...

p.s what hapend when yours cracked apart from getting wet... anything die as a result?
    Lots of things died. I think I recall losing about $800 worth of parts.
    "There it is, ladies and gentlemen: the most expensive car in the world, dressed up like a mouse."

Why yes, I do have Heat!

---
    Welcome to the forums. Please read all of the forum rules. Thank you =) --- What mods are active that I can PM my concerns to?

ouch

installed the system didnt leak test 1month down the line gfx card displaying red lines thought it was because of overclock and posted on here, went to remove the card felt water said bolx! Fixed the lead made a water catcher to make sure didnt happen again RMA'd as only had the card a month it took forever got a new card am happy again leak free!

All in all... leak tests always help specially when it's your 1st water setup

I know some people question the need for it but...

Went without any form of anti-growth in a loop for about 4 months with an Anti-freeze/Distilled water mix. 4 months later I was up for a Nobel prize for creation of a new life form but....my system was down for several days waiting for new tubing to arrive. At that point I didnt have any effective way of cleaning out my tubing so had to wait for it to arrive.

Catastrophic? No, no components lost beyond some tubing. Annoying? Yes, no computer for 4 days waiting for the replacement tubing to arrive.
    System - AMD Opteron 165, ATI X1900XT, 2G (1Gx2) G-Skill PC3200, Asrock 939 DualSATA2, Raptor 74G Sata 16meg 10k drive, SB Audigy2 ZS

Watercooling Setup - MCP600, T-Line, Home-made Monster Reservoir, MCW6002, Fedco 2-199 w/home-made shrouds in a push/pull config, 4 Sanyo Denki 120mm beasts (undervolted to 7), 7/16"ID-5/8"OD MasterKleer tubing

Quote Originally Posted by Bugsmasher
    I know some people question the need for it but...

Went without any form of anti-growth in a loop for about 4 months with an Anti-freeze/Distilled water mix. 4 months later I was up for a Nobel prize for creation of a new life form but....

bahaha.. any pics?

this could really turn out to be a great thread

Unfortunately I didnt snap any pictures when this happened. I really should have. The growth was in the form of small brown/black spots that almost resembled dust on my tubing....but it kept spreading and getting darker. Then I was worried it was some form of corrrosion so I drained my loop into a tupperware container and set that inside my case (which I reverted to air cooling after waiting a few days) to replicate the temps while it was in the loop. Kept getting darker and actually smelled pretty nasty.

All in all it was a complete friggin pain in the arse. I sincerely suggest people use anti-growth.
    System - AMD Opteron 165, ATI X1900XT, 2G (1Gx2) G-Skill PC3200, Asrock 939 DualSATA2, Raptor 74G Sata 16meg 10k drive, SB Audigy2 ZS

Watercooling Setup - MCP600, T-Line, Home-made Monster Reservoir, MCW6002, Fedco 2-199 w/home-made shrouds in a push/pull config, 4 Sanyo Denki 120mm beasts (undervolted to 7), 7/16"ID-5/8"OD MasterKleer tubing

This is a great idea. This thread can really be useful. I'm about to take the plunge into water cooling myself, and I can't wait to hear all the stories.

For those of you who post past experiences, be sure to include how you fixed them so we can really benefit from it.
    Core i7-990X - ASUS Rampage III Extreme - 12GB (6 x 2GB) Corsair GT DDR3-2000
    2 x HIS 7970 - Dell U2410
    Sound Blaster X-FI Titanium Pro
    2 x Corsair GT 120GB SSDs, 2 x Seagate XT 2TB RAID
    Enermax 1350W
    Modified LIan-Li PC-C60B with Custom EK Water Cooling System

Never had any problem with growth myself, and I have run a system for a full year with just destilled water and no additives at all. Do you use tap water in your system?

oh man i've got a really good one.

a picture is worth 1000 words right?

what is that?

trying to use lowes generic 3/4" ID tubing and getting it to seal properly... a real adventure.
    Intel 630
    ASUS P5LD2-VM
    2x256 WINTEC AMP-X
    Raptor 360gb + Seagate sata 400gb
    Pioneer DVR-106
    Antec True350
    Cheapest black USB keyboard from the Egg + Razer Viper

Some people don't deserve to have anything electronic other than a TV, and maybe a toaster, becuase they may hurt themselves and possibly someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Theorie
    oh man i've got a really good one.

a picture is worth 1000 words right?
    WHAT? YOU DON'T KNOW!?!? its the most 1337 waterblock ever... havent you been following the progress on this bad boy?!?

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=429288

i swear thats a mouldy sandwhich with pipes stuck in it...

Registered
    gl on your next try...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast