• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My Rig keeps freezing..:(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

G70GT

I recently upgraded to a new computer with PCI-Express.
When I play anything cpu/graphics intensive, the computer freezes and i have to restart.

Here are the specs:
Athlon 64 3000+ Venice @ 1.550v
DFI LANPARTY nF4 Ultra-D
1GB Corsair PC3200 Value Ram
eVGA GeForce 7800GT

I am suspecting the power supply is at fault. It is a rosewill 500w with a 20 to 24 pin adapter.
Is the 24 pin adapter causing some kind of voltage issue? or is the power supply a bad brand?

:welcome:

So you went from a agp to a pci-e board? Did you reinstall the operating system during this upgrade. If you change boards with different different chip sets it is best to reinstall or repair the OS. They're many ppl who also think they need to reinstall after a video card upgrade but I've never had a problem.
For the PSU ,I don't think its that. A 500w rosewill should be enough without an Overclock but just to make
sure download speedfan and monitor the voltages.

I went from a VIA K8T800 Pro to nForce 4, so i had to reinstall windows.
The CPU is a Athlon 64 3000+ overclocked from 1.8GHz to 2.7GHz.
Also, i should add that the PSU makes squeaking sounds and is very hot.
The 12v line is at 11.78v and the 5v line is at 4.83v

Put everything back down to stock clock speeds and try to play games. If it doesn't crash, then you know your overclock is not stable. Most likely that it is your PSU. those voltage are quite low for an overclock of such magnitude. What are your CPU temps like? Could you check your ram and CPU voltage under load with Speedfan? They're probably drooping down severly because of your weak PSU.

The PSU is making high pitched sqeaks about every half second. It also has a "heated" plastic smell to it. I want to overclock my CPU though. It was stable at 2.7GHz before the switch to the DFI.

I didn't realize you where overclocking when I first read the post, I kinda ignored the voltage when I didn't see a speed rating. Those are signs that your PSU is failing. I would suggest lowering the OC to stock for now until you get a new PSU. At this point there isn't any other option If you want to OC with your current setup becuase a OCing pci-e system takes a better quality PSU espically with a 7800. If your PSU is still reacting the way you descibed at stock you should leave the comp off until you get a new PSU. A failing power supply can be bad for your system.

That does not sound good at all. If I where in your shoes I would just keep it off and unplug the PSU. Apparantly it's heating up inside, and might just take a few components to it's grave when it fails. You do not want that to happen.

Yea, i wouldn't want that to happen. I have been doing some research, and I found the FSP Fortron Blue Storm 500 Watt PSU. Is this power supply any good? It has plenty of good customer reviews. :bang head

i have the latest 6/23/05 bios.

Update: It seems to always freeze after 15-20 mins of game play, with the room smelling like "hot" plastic. The PSU hasn't blown yet....

i'm surprised nobody told you this yet:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10785

DFI specifically says to use 24-pin PSU, not 20pin-to 24-pin converters.

also, Rosewill are POS units. and a POS 500W couldnt keep up with a good 400W power supply. Get something with a proven track record, like an Enermax, Antec, Fortron, Tagan, PC&C. If you get a PSU that's almost half the price of similar units from these companies, than you're getting screwed. you get what you pay for.

The smell of hot plastic might be your PWM chip frying...what are you're PWMIC temps?

This is a sure sign that you don't have all 4 power connectors hooked up to the board. All 4 must be connected for stability:

** Image Linked from DFI-Street (http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34504) **

NF4_build-8.jpg

I'm pretty sure that the plastic smell is coming from the power supply itself.
I have all four power connectors plugged in.
The PWM Temperatures seem normal (115 F)

Rosewill=Junk.
OCZ, Enermax, Antec, Fortron are all good and reasonably priced.
I just went from an Antec 480 NeoPower to a OCZ 520 PowerStream on my nF4 Ultra-D.
I like it a lot. :)

Back