• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hot?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CoreGamer

Alrgiht, I have a P4 519 3.06 Ghz that I overclocked by 800 Mhz, the temps went from 35 Idle to 45 Idle, and Ive seen temps as high as 65C when loaded. Is this too hot?

Last edited:
well your motherboard itself could be off by 5 or more C.

i wouldn't worry about it, as long as you are stable, and you aren't throttling.

yes, when the chip gets too hot, it will drop itself back down in speed.

unless its only the 6xx's that have that feature...

You can't see throttling in CPU-Z, you have to use throttle watch for that. :)

Do a search for TM1 thermal throttling here and on the net. There's lots of info about it. Also, do a search for speed step, and look up your CPU on the Intel site and see what features it supports. Hope that helps you. :santa2:

hmmmm thats wierd, my Heat Sink cools well, these temps cam AFTER the overclocking

well i don't know how good or bad that vortex vx you have is, but to me that seems pretty hot for that oc with that vcore.

i would reapply thermal grease and reseat the hsf. if its been poorly seated, you may get a 10-15c drop.

My bet is it's the cooling. It just cannot keep up with the heat output for any period of time. In other words, it's getting "heat soaked". Once the cooler has reached it's limits and can no longer dissipate the amount of heat being generated, it just keeps getting hotter and hotter until the TM1 kicks in and throttles the processor back to where the cooler can again keep up.

I have this exact same thing when I clock to 4.0 or above. I can do 4.0 for short benches, but cannot game at that.

Cooling is the most important thing you have to get right before you can go to high OC's. If it's hot, it's gonna throttle and you'll loose performance, and stability.

Personally I settled for 3.9 on my 3.2E because i didn't need to spend anymore money on this system with the new Conroes coming out. Mt next system will have twice the capability, and will have alot of money in it, so i didn't see any need on going higher with this one. I had considered water or phase, but am going to wait until I build the next one to be sure i get the latest stuff.

You can never be cool enough. Even if you get below zero, you can reach a point where you want to go lower. OC's are limited by cooling. The colder you get it, the higher it will OC. The only limiting factor to an OC is how cold it is, and the ability of the cooler to keep up wit heat dissipation.

You def need to look into a new cooler, or check to make sure the cooler you have now is installed correctly (ie contact and correct use of thermal paste).

Your chip is experiencing major throttling and shows that your current overclock is def NOT stable at 3.86. Stability certainly implies that one's computer does not have to throttle in order to run at an overclocked speed.

If you are certain you want to continue using your current cooling solution, I would highly recommened a large decrease in your current overclock. Additionaly, you should check to make sure the heatsink is installed correctly and making good contact.

This computer is not even 2 weeks old, I just built it, and I dont want to have to buy any new parts yet, of course it was my first build so I may have seated the Heat Sink wrong, even though I doubt it. Suggestions?

Back