• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Linux / Mephis Hardware Monitoring

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

itshondo

I just built a dedicated Linux rig and installed Mephis Lite- installed very easy and runs very nice on the computer. Kernal 2.6.12.

I would like to set up my desktop so that it has hardware monitoring, like Motherboard Monitor. I am mainly interested in memory usage and cpu / system temps.

Browsing via google, I found a screenshot of a desktop with some monitoring, though not showing temps-

I am a total Linux noob and appreciate any advice-

Thanks!

Also, I have checked out lm_sensors - I have no idea how to install though.

I have read other posts (searched here) but I may need a somewhat detailed walk through.

gkrellm looks like what I want on the desktop.

Here's the page -

http://secure.netroedge.com/~lm78/kernel26.html

Last edited:
With a 2.6 kernel you install only userland tools for lm_sensors. Exact instructions can be found on the homepage for lm_sensors. Basically for a 2.6 kernel, you download the thing, untar it, cd to the directory, and run make user_install or something similar. Then you configure the sensors with sensors-detect, and follow that program's instructions. You can then test it worked with sensors.

Now, lm-sensors is a text-based hardware monitor, and what you want is a kind of graphical frontend for it. There are several. The one pictured above is tremendously configurable. It's called superkaramba. There are about 1,000,000 themes for it and you can find them at www.kde-look.org. However, it only works in KDE. AFAIK KDE is not part of Mepis-lite by default, so you'd have to install it with apt-get first.

Next up is gdesklets. It's for Gnome but I don't know anything else about it.

And then there's gkrellm, which will work pretty much universally.

All of these can utilize the sensors data lm-sensors provides.

more pics of superkaramba in action:

ocix38.jpg

Last edited:
There is also ksensors. I think that works in any window manager.

And ksensors also looks almost exactly like MBM5. However, you might find the latest version of it is not up to date with everything else. It might in fact be no longer actively developed.

Back