• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is my pump too powerfull?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

greenmaji

Senior Spellcheck
I am a fish tank guy and watercooling sounds intresting to me..
thing is. I have this pump that I got not too long ago..
link..
http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=CP7117
"pumps 240 gallons per hour at 17 foot head pressure to 1225 gallons per hour at 3 foot head pressure"
It can handle up to 50PSI of back pressure.
Thing is.. I'm not sure if this is too much pump for a water cooling system.. :shrug:
I realize its 120V and I can think of ways to get around that (a relay comes to mind)
If it is too much pump (too much pressure for the blocks/rad to handle) what would be a good maximum?
Looking at pumps made for water cooling I did notice some models were adapted from fish tank models, just fitted with 12V DC..
thanks in advance.. :p

Those Poseidons are the same as the Custom Sea Life Velocity pumps, which are all rebrandings of pumps made by a company called Laing Thermotech.

This pump is too big. The pressure isn’t really the problem. The Laing Delphi is a pump designed for computer cooling, and it can produce over 15 ft of head. The problem with this pump is that it add a significant amount of heat to the water...about as much as a processor. It’s also expensive to run, using nearly as much power as an entire computer.

That said, though, if you have it and you don’t want to buy another pump, it will work. It’s just not the best choice for the job.

ahh.. Ive heard tell of the added heat to the water.. I was thinking of using it in a closed loop system for a tank (no back preasure so I would assume less stress/heat)... I had forgoten.. duhh..
the motor really could use some type of cooling (even if it was just a custom heat sink like some use with Iwaki's)
btw.. my pump is a custom sea life Velocity T4.. the link was just easier to find (I knew were it was)
any recomendations on pumps (120V, 12V or otherwise) that would make a good pump for a good sized water cooling setup? Im assuming it would be the watts consumed by the pumps motor per gph/lpm/gpm that would give a sign that it adds heat to the water..

Check out the watercooling forum. The link to it is at the top of this forum. There's lots of good info there.

Laing makes two pumps that are very popular for water cooling. Like the pump you have, other companies rebrand the pump.

Dangerden (www.dangerden.com) sells these pumps as the DD-D5 and Danger Den DDC-12V. They're both 75 bucks. They're available from other companies, with different names, for about the same price.

Moved to Water Cooling, and that pump most certainly will dump a huge amount of heat into the loop, looks like the Velocity pumps. Does it consume 90W?

Seems "too much flow" might have something to do with it.. more flow=more watts=more heat.. those 140 watts create ALOT of flow and match up specs with some Iwaki's as far as watts are conerned... though their japanise motors over a certian level (the MD40+) have built in fan cooling... and this pump does not..
and I read that you would be best off with a pump that can handle quite some head preasure.. well.. thats more watts and heat as well.. is it that you need a pump that can handle say about 6 foot of head at a decent flow rate?
Graystar.. I have no way of comparing the pumps you listed to any of the ones Im familiar with as far as watt consumption vs. flow from the DangerDen site (they dont list the watt consumption of the pump )
I havnt really considered electrical consumption vs/flow for pumps (though I should have) seems the Quiet One 3000 seems to have good specs (almost a total of 780gph max output at 40 watts) Im sure that would be alot better then the pump I was looking at originaly but I still dont know how many watts the D5 consumes (the pump output is very similar from what I can tell) so it would be a decent comparison in my oppion..
thanks guys.. :)
*edit*
http://www.lainginc.com/D_Series.htm
seems the D5 has about half the flow and half the watts as the Quiet One 3000.. so effecency sounds about the same... but the price on the Quiet one is oddly a little less and twice as powerfull.. hmmm.. :shrug:

Last edited:
greenmaji said:
seems the D5 has about half the flow and half the watts as the Quiet One 3000.. so effecency sounds about the same... but the price on the Quiet one is oddly a little less and twice as powerful
The Quiet One series of pumps is very much like other low-cost aquarium pump like Rio, Via, Maxi-Jet, Danner, Sen, etc. They are usually made of plastic (some might have ceramic shafts) and tend to have the most problems with reliability. Shafts tend to break, seals tend to leak, and sometimes the plastic housing may split.

None of these problems will occur with a D5. It is a much higher quality pump. THAT'S what you're paying for.

it does not dump all that much because of how its internal housing is .

you can run a system with it but you will want at least 900cm2 facial area on a 5cm thick core . you can run 2 systems at the same time or a couple server stacks.

coincidentally i have a T1 titanium velocity1 pump i will be selling because i need money and am scrapping the ultra server project .

Back