• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What the hell is going on with my cpu?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

demius

Hi all! I'm a total newbie here, but I'm desperate for help. I've looked around and I've been unable to find any help with the two problems I'm experiencing. I just bought a P4 3.2ghz HT 64-bit CPU (LGA-775), a gig of DDR2-533 and a Gigabyte GA8VT880P (Revision 1) mobo. (yes, I know it's a ****ty board) I'm also running a 500W PSU and a Radeon X800 GTO.

Now I have two questions.
1. I ran 3DMark05 and after submitting my results, I noticed that my FSB is apparently only running at 200Mhz, which is bull**** considering my processor and board both support 800Mhz FSB. Is 3DMark correct or am I misunderstanding something?
2. My +5 Voltage is extremely low, around 3.7 or so. I've been lead to believe that a low +5 voltage can cause a loss in performance. Is this assumption correct, and if so how do I fix it?

Any help would be MUCH appreciated. Thanks in advance :p

1. I do not know much about Intels, but I believe that the FSB's are quad pumped (200 x 4). I believe you have nothing to worry about. Download CPU-Z to verify the speed of you processor.

2.That would be your powersupply's fault. I do not think there is much you can do.

thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it. I used CPU-Z and it says FSB: 210Mhz and Bus Speed 840Mhz. I understand the whole quad pumped thing, but why is it being reported as 210Mhz? I also had a look at the 3DMark05 online scores and checked out people's system stats. I saw several people with exactly the same CPU and their FSB was reported as being 800Mhz. I don't understand?

My sys has the same readout with the FSB. I don't think it's an issue. It's normal.

cpu1.jpg

demius said:
thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it. I used CPU-Z and it says FSB: 210Mhz and Bus Speed 840Mhz. I understand the whole quad pumped thing, but why is it being reported as 210Mhz? I also had a look at the 3DMark05 online scores and checked out people's system stats. I saw several people with exactly the same CPU and their FSB was reported as being 800Mhz. I don't understand?

Demius and infini: Intel systems Bus are quad pumped. Your FSB is 200mhz. Your BUS speed is 800mhz(200x4).

:santa: :welcome:To OC Forums

On the PSU voltage, the only real way to tell is the voltage is that low is to use a DMM and measure it at idle, and also under load. Software is innacurate, and some boards sensors are crap, so even if the software was any good at all, those cheap sensors will only feed it a line of BS. heh

If it is found that the voltage is indeed low, then you have a cheap PSU, and it will need to be replaced. What brand and model of PSU is this 500 watt?

Thanks a lot for all the help dudes, I knew I had come to the right place :)

<QUOTE>On the PSU voltage, the only real way to tell is the voltage is that low is to use a DMM</QUOTE>

What on earth is a DMM?
The PSU I bought looks to be quite a good one. It's a KMEX power supply. I checked my voltages again, and they all seem to be low, but not as low as I first thought them to be. My +5V is now @ 4.6V and my +12V is also under the mark at around 11.61V.

Your 5v is out of ATX specification guidelines (4.75-5.25v). However, you do need to measure with a DMM before making a more definitive answer.

Back