• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My memory cut in half *sad*

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yes you are correct SolidXSnake. He (the original poster) has a physical RAM recognition problem. As do I. I was just trying to tell him what his diagnostic read-out means.

Ticktok, you still have a RAM slot issue.

I also have a 512X2 situation but WinXP, among other programs, read that I only have 512MB.

Updating your motherboard's BIOS to the latest official release might help.

Thanks, Otter. I already tried. In fact there has been 3 BIOS releases since I got this little box. I tried all 3 and still have this problem.

I think ticktock123 doesn't have any problem. Everest said that the total ram was 1024 MB and the clock cycle is 133 and 166, it's double rated so the ram he has run at 266 MHz and 332 MHz. I can't see the problem :shrug:. Apart from that apu318 you are wrong. Windows (or any OS) doesn't start to write page file/swap/virtual memory when the physical memory had been completely used. It's a little more complex. In the book called "Foundations Of the Computer" written by Pedro de Miguel Anasagasti (Teacher of "Facultad de Informatica en la Universidad Poltiecnica de Madrid") everything about memory/RAM and swap it's explained with all details. I will try to find a copy of the book so that you can read that chapter if you want.
apu318 said:
Do not confuse the page file with your physical RAM. Like skeen said, after that 1gb of physical RAM is taken up, windows starts to write to the page file on the hard drive up to 1gb. The page file is a single file that contains mixed information. You can change your page file to what suits your needs, and you don't need to change it.

512mb, 1024mb (same as 1gb) are different capacities of the storage medium, how much data it can hold. 133mhz(DDR266), 166mhz(DDR333) are different speeds that the motherboard and memory controller can transfer the data in and out of the RAM.

Hey ticktock, in Everest, in the menu go to Computer->Summary. Under the Motherboard heading how much System Memory does it say you have?

The Everest page you described sounds like SPD heading under Motherboard. I was wondering because with my problem, the SPD heading tells me the correct number of DIMMs and all that, but my System Memory is still 512MB, which cpu-z and Windows System Property page also confirm.

All I'm saying is there is 1024MB of physical installed in my machine but only 512 is recognized. Is the situation the same for you?

I have a similar problem, and posted here about it as well.
cpu-z recognizes 3gigs of RAM, but Windows only reports that I have 2 gigs.
Strange! :shrug:

Joe Phantom said:
I think ticktock123 doesn't have any problem. Everest said that the total ram was 1024 MB and the clock cycle is 133 and 166, it's double rated so the ram he has run at 266 MHz and 332 MHz. I can't see the problem :shrug:. Apart from that apu318 you are wrong. Windows (or any OS) doesn't start to write page file/swap/virtual memory when the physical memory had been completely used. It's a little more complex. In the book called "Foundations Of the Computer" written by Pedro de Miguel Anasagasti (Teacher of "Facultad de Informatica en la Universidad Poltiecnica de Madrid") everything about memory/RAM and swap it's explained with all details. I will try to find a copy of the book so that you can read that chapter if you want.

You are wrong. Sticks are rated at different speeds, and you can see the default speeds in the SPD, which is what you saw. You CANNOT run one stick @ 266 and one @ 333. It is impossible.

Back