• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My memory cut in half *sad*

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ticktock123

i am having huge problems with my computer right now. At this second i have 2X 256 samsung DDR DIMM 333(PC 2700) and 1X 512 GIEL DDR DIMM 333(PC 2700) in my computer. Slot 1 and 2 are the 256 and slot 3 is the 512. While going to a few sites and trying to figure out something about my computer, it came to my attention that my computer sees that i have 1024MB of RAM but it says that i only have 512 of Phsyical.

(MOTHERBOARD: (754-pin Socket) GigaByte GA-K8N Pro nForce3 Chipset)

PCPITSTOP.com said this
Memory ConfigurationDescription Results
RAM installed 512 MB
Windows RAM 1024 MB
Total RAM slots 3
Available RAM slots 0
Max RAM module size 1024 MB
Memory Type 128+128+256;DIMM,Unknown,;T16
Speed Rating 7432 MB/s (100% of 2257 similar)

I need new Memory anyways for my 2nd computer so i will just take the stuff out of my current one and move it to that one. But does anyone have any ideas what may be the cause?

Also it is 184 Pin I think (the one with the 1 cut in it)

Last edited:
I used memcheck or soemthing like that and ran it for 2 1/2 times though and it said no errors. As for other programs, i forgot the name of the site but it does the same sort of thing as pcpitstop, but only for memory and it says that i have the same set up as above i.e 128X2 256X1. A friend of mine told me that i should try moving the memory around and maybe that would fix it but i don't know if i want to mess with that.

all right here is what EVEREST says
SPD Memory Modules
DIMM1: Samsung M3 68L3313CT1-CB0
256 MB PC2100 DDR SDRAM (2.5-3-3-6 @ 133 MHz) (2.0-2-2-5 @ 100 MHz)

DIMM2: Samsung M3 68L3313CT1-CB0
256 MB PC2100 DDR SDRAM (2.5-3-3-6 @ 133 MHz) (2.0-2-2-5 @ 100 MHz)

DIMM3: GeIL CL25-3-3DDR 333
512 MB PC2700 DDR SDRAM (2.5-4-3-8 @ 166 MHz)

So it looks like it says i have the right amount of memory but it is running at half speed. How would you go about fixing this?

If I'm not mistaken, that's because it's DDR (Double Data Rate) I dunno why, but double that given speed and you have your RAM speed.

so would you be saying that nothing is wrong with my Memory? because i know about the FSB and the multy that goes in to that...but i fig that DDR only has a 2x mult so it would just be at the speed it is running at...or atleast tell the speed it is running at. Dunno

It should run at a 2x multi off of the FSB, unless you're using mem dividers, which it doesn't look like you are. Windows is just stupid sometimes, JCW's right, stick with Everest.

Last edited:
I gathered your problem wasn't speed related but capacity related, ie you have 1024MB installed but Windows, ect only recognizes 512MB. If this is the case forget all that stuff about DDR multis and whatnot.

I don't know what the problem is but I'm getting it too. I have 2x512 and either stic works in either slot and the computer functions with both in but will only recognize 512MB. Sucks.

Skeen said:
I gathered your problem wasn't speed related but capacity related, ie you have 1024MB installed but Windows, ect only recognizes 512MB. If this is the case forget all that stuff about DDR multis and whatnot.

I don't know what the problem is but I'm getting it too. I have 2x512 and either stic works in either slot and the computer functions with both in but will only recognize 512MB. Sucks.

It almsot looks like i have both of those problems...because it SAYS that all memory is running at 133Mhz wich is wrong they should be running at 2x that atleast...also it says that there is 1Gb of memory and i can use all of it i have seen it up to 930Mb but i am not sure what "RAM installed 512 MB Windows RAM 1024 MB" Means if that is nothing or what not.

Concerning the speed its running, do you have the max memclock setting, under DRAM Configuration, set at 133Mhz? If so just put it on auto.

You cannot mix and match memory speeds. In your case, you either run it at 133mhz (DDR266) or 166mhz (DDR333). You have to set one or the other in your BIOS. Currently it's running at 133mhz, which is correct for the ram that was originally in your motherboard. Your ram isn't running at "half speed". I'm not exactly sure what you mean by that, but the clock cycles that is mentioned is unconditionally multiplied by a factor of 2, thus making it DDR.

Keep in mind, if you set 166mhz (DDR333) in the bios, you will be overclocking your older 2x256mb sticks. It should run fine though.

apu318 said:
You cannot mix and match memory speeds.

Whoops didn't even catch that at first. Yeah in every board where I have mixed speeds of RAM, it always just defaults to the slowest RAM speed which in your case is 133Mhz, as pointed out by apu318.

That means that you have 512MB of physical RAM and a page file that is 1024MB. The page file is also called virtual memory. Its a portion of the hard drive that windows uses for memory storage when you've run out of physical RAM. Its much slower than physical RAM.

How old is that install of windows? Sometimes a fresh install helps whenever mine does something unexplainable. What version do you have?

Microsoft Windows XP Version: 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2

it isn't THAT old...prob been like 5-6 months since last reformat. I am thinking i may just refromat to just clean house a bit

Do not confuse the page file with your physical RAM. Like skeen said, after that 1gb of physical RAM is taken up, windows starts to write to the page file on the hard drive up to 1gb. The page file is a single file that contains mixed information. You can change your page file to what suits your needs, and you don't need to change it.

512mb, 1024mb (same as 1gb) are different capacities of the storage medium, how much data it can hold. 133mhz(DDR266), 166mhz(DDR333) are different speeds that the motherboard and memory controller can transfer the data in and out of the RAM.

but look at his DIMMS. He has 2x256 dimms (thats 512), and then 1x512 dimm (another 512). 256+256+512=512+512=1024=1GB. So he SHOULD have 1gb of ram total. Maybe one stick isn't being taken because your bios settings are wrong? Maybe a wrong configuration?

Back