• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel changes the way the Speed Bin, good for consumers?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
that was interesting. i think its similar to ati's auto overclocking feature. it will lead to some confusion but not among those who buy dell's, they don't really understand what cpu's they are getting anyways.

i also thought this quote from the end of the article was interesting:

Whatever it ends up doing, there is real science behind it, and due to the current US war on anything intellectual, that message will most assuredly be lost. µ

ouch..

hUMANbEATbOX said:
that was interesting. i think its similar to ati's auto overclocking feature. it will lead to some confusion but not among those who buy dell's, they don't really understand what cpu's they are getting anyways.

i also thought this quote from the end of the article was interesting:

ouch..

Whatever it ends up doing, there is real science behind it, and due to the current US war on anything intellectual, that message will most assuredly be lost. µ

Not interesting, typical. Even reporters discussing technical issues just can't stand to stay away from injecting their own political views. Sounds like typical European jealousy and elitism :eek: .

As for the issue, it sounds like Intel is trying to figure out where performance is going, as the party of simply increasing clock rates for performance ended a long time ago.

-Mike

*edited for spelling*

Last edited:
:argue: Is it just me, or do these guys generally have a negative slant on Intel? Their articles seem to come off like that anyways.

ya really Texas, i don't see how a comment like that has any relevance in an article about the naming conventions of computer processors.

the inquirer is really hit or miss. they take contributions from many different people, some are good, most aren't.

hUMANbEATbOX said:
ya really Texas, i don't see how a comment like that has any relevance in an article about the naming conventions of computer processors.

the inquirer is really hit or miss. they take contributions from many different people, some are good, most aren't.

Exactly, the entire last paragraph of the Inquirer article was not relevant.

-Mike

But its sooo true... but its another topic for another day and another thread.

Back on topic... I think this might be kind of interesting. Selling a chip as a 2.2ghz part but when conditions are right it can self scale to 2.4ghz or something like that. Sort of like boost performance from a hard drive's cache.

For naming, I personally think it should be called a 2.2ghz+ or something along those lines, that is unless AMD is going to get upset of a '+' sign. In this case I think it would make sense and be appropriate to use that sign.

Also I think this could be good for the consumer, I just hope that there is a way to lock it at a certain speed if wanted. IMO anything that takes more control away from the user is a step backwards, that even applies for other markets such as cars. The idea can work well, it's just that it will take some work and it will need to be marketed well also.

We shall see how it all turns out.

TexasOC said:
Not interesting, typical. Even reporters discussing technical issues just can't stand to stay away from injecting their own political views. Sounds like typical European jealousy and elitism :eek: .

Amen

metloaf said:
:argue: Is it just me, or do these guys generally have a negative slant on Intel? Their articles seem to come off like that anyways.
Perhaps, but I think L'Inq is very very skeptical (and justifiably so, most of the time) when it comes to both Chip- and Chimp-zilla (Intel and AMD).

I mean, most of what we hear out of both companies is not engineering, it's marketeering (which is Marketing telling the engineers what to do). I had a source at Intel who predicted the Prescott heat output about a year and a half before anyone else, for instance, while Intel marketing was saying that the Preshott would go to 5+ GHz without resorting to extreme cooling solutions.

Just a thought. I don't really trust CPU manufacturers anymore anyway.

When I read that article I thought....ic, test each chip, see what its maximum performance might be, and charge accordingly...I wonder if that sounds like charging extra for chips that can be overclocked?

orion456 said:
When I read that article I thought....ic, test each chip, see what its maximum performance might be, and charge accordingly...I wonder if that sounds like charging extra for chips that can be overclocked?
You guys are on the wrong Intel road map they advertise the chip does 3.4 then you put a load to it and it clocks down to 2.8 hay what am i saying there doing that now.

Your the kind of person that noticed the speed drop. You give Intel a call and they say what do mean your not using liquid nitrogen cooling that's your problem your speed will vary all the time.

It's not about making faster chips anymore it's about controlling the heated mess they have made with 90nm.

Yea there is real science behind all this.

We can't make the chips faster, we sure can make it tricky to use any performance gains after a short good looking benchmark to keep the heat down.

WARNING heavy gaming will reduce you speed to a crawl.

I will stick with my cool oc 3.7 northwood on air.

Last edited:
TexasOC said:
Sounds like typical European jealousy

Hold on while i admit that the remark was uncalled for, what typical european jealousy is this? i've very rarely encountered europeans who are on the whole jealous of america, other than maybe low sales tax :)

Don't respond to a childish remark with fairly childish anti european comments of your own. Just let the comment go and feel good that you are mature and 'intellectual' enough not to respond similarly.

A lot of brits especially like to root for the underdog, and it's easy to have a negative slant on intel, most of what they have come up with since willamette (pentium ms in particular excluded) has been rubbish, and seemingly some of their business practices highly illegal. Equally AMDs customer relations have been about as good as a yamhill, socket 754 was a waste of time, and their idiotic intel dual core challenges make me sick.

Last edited:
>HyperlogiK< said:
A lot of brits especially like to root for the underdog, and it's easy to have a negative slant on intel, most of what they have come up with since willamette (pentium ms in particular excluded) has been rubbish

hey cmon, when the northwood c's came on the scene, there was nothing that could really touch them. they were impressive chips, and intels 65nm is looking pretty solid. willies and the prescott e's were pretty rough, i'll give you that..

northwood c did kick the *** of tbreds, but even northwoods weren't like the pentium 2 - early pentium 3 days when nothing could even begin to come close to intel. Pentium 1 was awesome, P MMX was pretty strong, P Pro was awesome, P2 was untouchable, as were the P3s until the Athlon was launched, since then Intel seems to have been making a lot of expensive mistakes (like netburst), and while some of their products have been great, most haven't. I wasn't trying to turn this into another AMD vs Intel discussion (that's why I included my negaive views about AMD, there are already a hundred threads where the consensus seems to have been reached that:

P4s suck balls compared to recent hammers
That pentium ms are fantastic
That AMD chips are good but they can only make about 1 a week

I was just trying to point out that having a negative slant on intel (or AMD) is very reasonable.

>HyperlogiK< said:
northwood c did kick the *** of tbreds, but even northwoods weren't like the pentium 2 - early pentium 3 days when nothing could even begin to come close to intel. Pentium 1 was awesome, P MMX was pretty strong, P Pro was awesome, P2 was untouchable, as were the P3s until the Athlon was launched, since then Intel seems to have been making a lot of expensive mistakes (like netburst), and while some of their products have been great, most haven't. I wasn't trying to turn this into another AMD vs Intel discussion (that's why I included my negaive views about AMD, there are already a hundred threads where the consensus seems to have been reached that:

I was just trying to point out that having a negative slant on intel (or AMD) is very reasonable.

Good point :santa:

>HyperlogiK< said:

agreed ;)

Back