• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel n00b needs help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ziggo0

I'm not really the Intel enthusiast or the best speller but I got a server/backup rig that has a 1.8a (478) that does 133x18 & 139x18 stable on air with stock voltage. I have the option to trade the 1.8a for a 2.0 (478 - not sure on the steppings) and I'm wondering if the 2.0 would be a better clocker than the 1.8a. The motherboard is an Abit SA7. Thanks for any info at all =)

The question is..why would anybody want to trade down? What is wrong with the 2.0 that the person wants to trade? I would be suspicious of this right off. I'm not an authority on 478 cpu's but if you want to compare, just look at the cpu database, and see what others have done, and you can look at the "s-spec" of your cpu and the cpu you want,and compare...only then could you make an informed decission based on fact. Hope this helps, and good luck.
Rod

Ahh...good idea, I didn't even think of that. Although, he is a good friend of mine. Its from this old Dell he doesnt need anymore and if he ever did need it - it would be used for his Parents. I was going to throw in something small... I think he wanted something like some rounded ide cables. But thanks for the suggestion :D

It really depends on the stepping. I had one of the original 2.0A B0 steppings when they were first released and it would only do about 2.5 gig stable (2.66 gig is 133 FSB). Later, I had a C1 stepping 2.0A that did 3.4 gig. Have your buddy run CPU-Z and check it out.

Back