• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need some help in picking an OS...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kieran_d

Right now i have no OS apart from the 180 day timed eval of XP PRO whcih i am using now. I am getting a new 60gig drive ina few weeks or so and i am going to order a OEM OS with it, so i need to know whcih to get.

The main things that worry me are:

1. If i get 98se (which i really like.... is fast etc...) will i be wasting me cash... i mean will there not be much games and software for it in a year or two.

2. The XP PRO I am using now is alot slower than the 98se i was using before on the same PC... if i get the XP HOME will this be more like 98se in trems of speed and the way all the settings are.

So what OS should I get and why? THX

Well depends what your going to use it for, if it is games then I'll go with Win 98 SE and I don't think you should buy it, one of your friends must have it... If your basically not into gaming then I would recommend you Win2K its a kick *** operating system for stablity and it will do all your needs except if your a gamer.

And what did you mean by slow? The Win XP Pro is very complex OS so it might sometimes take time or not.. I've heard if you take the Windows XP theme off and put on the Windows Classic one back on I heard it'll increase by alot and there are pages with tweaks to Win XP ..

Good Luck

Oh and by the way I'd confirm with the Win2k .. The Win XP OS have things running in the background while doing other stuff and it is very laggy.. People have lots of complaints with various software conflicts like playing mp3 and loading ICQ and webpages, the OS would suddenly start spiking and they've never had this problem with their past OS.

I could get my hands on a copy of 98se easliy (lets just say i might have a copy or two laying around) but i want to do all the stuff legit...

Oh also i want to use the pc for games, surfing, icq and dvdsetc...

Also with xp out now... will the software+game makers stop making stuff for 98se???? thx

I have been using Win2k pro for gamming for the last 3months
and I have not had any problems with it at all.
My 3D Mark scores are in the 6600-6800 range and who need to run any game at over 75fps anyway

Back