• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Rig, going to try Intel, wait for Cedar Mill?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vengance_01

I am looking to build a new Intel Rig for the first time snice my P2 days(AMD Fan). Stabilty and O/Cing issues, and mainly the memory controller **** me off, gonna try an Intel. Should I wait for the 975 Chipset or just get a 955 board?

I would wait if you are in no hurry and want the most for your money. If you want to buy on a budget wait a little while and once the new chipset/mobos are released I am sure you will be able to find some good deals on some damn good hardware.

If you absolutely want an Intel system now, you can get one quite cheap.

Asus P5WD2-Prem 955x
Intel 640
Mushkin 6400 2gb kit (on the expensive side) or PQi PC5400 2gb for cheap (Under $200)

The 955x chipset will support the Pressler / Cedarmill, but the 975 is what everyone is waiting for, VT technology.

ZPersonally I would wait on the high end stuff. It will run cooler, clock higher, and perform better.

Cedar Mill is the single core, and Pressler is the dual core.

What bout the giga 975 board. I love the cooling for mobo components. Also when will Cedar be in the wild?

I'm gonna be straight up here, but really, the best boards for the Intel platform as far as stability and performance are Asus and Abit boards. it has been that way for many years. Those two companies deliver a real OC'ers board that other companies just cannot match. It's always been a toss up which board is the best, and really neither one is best. They regularly switch places for the performance crown, and they are BOTH the best. Right now, Asus is on thyeir game, and they are getting the highest clocks, but Abit is not far behind. It also looks like Asus will be first out with the 975 boards so they will have the most experience with them. I would highly recommend sticking with one of those companies, and stick with a Intel chipset on whatever board you choose. If i were buying new, i would opt for the 975.

These are my personal preferences. I opt to go for the high end stuff, and it's generally more expensive. If price is a concern you have to make that decision.

When i got involved in OC'ing seriously, and flight simulators, there was no room for second best. The stuff I do with a computer requires me to buy once, and tweak, and I like to keep them for awhile. I don't buy and buy and buy, so I have to make one computer count for awhile. I've used Intel system for a long time and have dabbled with a couple AMD systems, but had some of the same issues as you, and came back to Intel. I plan to upgrade to another Intel when the Conroe is available, and have been keeping up with "the good stuff".

A board is one of the most important things. You want to get a good one. You can buy the very best stuff available, but if you put it on a bad OC'ing board, it won't give you what it's capable of. I've had many Asus and Abit boards, and i've never had an issue with any of them. They deliver.

3DFlyer said:
I'm gonna be straight up here, but really, the best boards for the Intel platform as far as stability and performance are Asus and Abit boards. it has been that way for many years. Those two companies deliver a real OC'ers board that other companies just cannot match. It's always been a toss up which board is the best, and really neither one is best. They regularly switch places for the performance crown, and they are BOTH the best. Right now, Asus is on thyeir game, and they are getting the highest clocks, but Abit is not far behind. It also looks like Asus will be first out with the 975 boards so they will have the most experience with them. I would highly recommend sticking with one of those companies, and stick with a Intel chipset on whatever board you choose. If i were buying new, i would opt for the 975.

These are my personal preferences. I opt to go for the high end stuff, and it's generally more expensive. If price is a concern you have to make that decision.

When i got involved in OC'ing seriously, and flight simulators, there was no room for second best. The stuff I do with a computer requires me to buy once, and tweak, and I like to keep them for awhile. I don't buy and buy and buy, so I have to make one computer count for awhile. I've used Intel system for a long time and have dabbled with a couple AMD systems, but had some of the same issues as you, and came back to Intel. I plan to upgrade to another Intel when the Conroe is available, and have been keeping up with "the good stuff".

A board is one of the most important things. You want to get a good one. You can buy the very best stuff available, but if you put it on a bad OC'ing board, it won't give you what it's capable of. I've had many Asus and Abit boards, and i've never had an issue with any of them. They deliver.
Hehe thanks for the input, been reading the reviews on the Gigaboard and all seem favorable. I will keep re-searching. I can't buy till my laptop sells anyways :santa:

Nasgul said:
Well, newer is better so the 975X will be an excellent choice, if not; the 955X (both ASUS) will be a good choice as well. While they cost a pretty penny, they're worth each and everyone.

In January, the new 65 nanometre Pentium 4 Cedar Mill numbered the 661, the 651, the 641 and the 631 will be priced up at $400, $270, $220 and $180 respectively.

-My vote will go for the 651 ($270) with the ability to hit at least (250x17)4.2ghz easy on stock volts for CPU and RAM.

Double Core Presler 65nm introductions will be the 950 ($635), the 940 ($420), the 930 ($315), and the 920 ($240). These clock at 3.4GHz, 3.2GHz, 3GHz and 2GHz respectively. They have 800MHz buses, use the LGA775 socket, and each has 2X2MB caches too.

-My vote goes to the 930 ($315) which is not "that" expensive and it sports all that. It will OC to (250x15) 3.75ghz w/stock voltages also.

Another thing about 975X vs 955X is that the PCI-Ex16 lanes split on the 975X seem to perform better with CrossFire than on the 955X. SEE LINK, found in this article at hkepc page 9 but if you want to start looking from PAGE 1 go ahead.
But for an a person who does very little encoding, should I just get Cedar, as HT should be plenty. Also, Heatsinks which do you recomend. I was looking at the Zalman 9500.

I think I will go with the 9500. but there are a few heatsink which have caught my eye that I want to look up first

Nasgul said:

hhmm........well, the price difference between a 651 (3.4ghz SC) and 930 (3.0ghz DC) is $45 more for the 930, definitely some "thought" to do there.

The 651 could easily do 4.2ghz (to 4.5ghz w/9500Z) but! single core, no VT, no 4MB of L2 cache, yet HT could be more than enough.

The 930 w/9500Z could do (267x15) 4.0ghz have VT, 4MB of L2 cache but no HT, yet two physical cores and perhaps future proof?

Decisions, decisions, decisions..........
grrr tell me about it. When I am done, this will be one sweet rig. It will completely new, all new parts.

3DFlyer said:
I'm gonna be straight up here, but really, the best boards for the Intel platform as far as stability and performance are Asus and Abit boards.

I once had an Asus A7V .... never again will I buy one of their products. Period.

Personally, I stick with Gigabyte these days. Never had any problems.

Back