• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU over heating

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ticktock123

Hello everyone, I am having a huge problem with my Darm CPU. It is an AMD64 3000+ , it is not over clocked and is running at the default 2.00Ghz. Now for the problem. What has been going on over the last few days is that i have been running folding@home on my personal PC. My CPU is running from about 50C to 60C+ and i KNOW that is way to hot. I have 2 120mm fans blowing air in on both sides of the case and 1 80mm fan blowing air out.

My question: I know the answer is to get a new heatsink, but what kind should i get? and what kind of compund should i use?

Thank you for reading/posting.

PS...i have to sleep with my computer and i don't want LEDs please.

You may want to consider re-configuring your case fans... my interpretation of your present config is that you have intake from both ends of the case? You want to create a nice smooth flow... intake from the front, exhaust out the rear, with a slight emphasis on exhaust (ie. get that hot air out of the case!!) If you have intake from both ends, you can create turbulence in the case, and end up doing nothing except circulating hot air around inside the case.

Additionally, I second the XP-90 + AS5 suggestion by cre8. XP-90 did wonders for me (~7-8C drop on full load).

Cheers.

Back