• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ZipZoomFly, "new" doesn't always mean new.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

futura2001

So, I ordered the retail eVGA 7800gt + Motherboard combo from ZZF and received the package yesterday. When I opened it, I immediately noticed that the motherboard box was not shrinkwrapped, unlike the 7800gt which was. Then I noticed that the product seal sticker was broken as well, and things only went downhill from there: the serial number on the box is different than the serial number on the motherboard itself.
Not only has the box been opened, it doesn't even contain the same motherboard that originally came in said box. Makes me wonder where the original is, and why it isn't in the box.
Not to mention the fact that "retail" usually means that the box is unopened and contains the original merchandise.

I am trying to contact contact customer support and resolve the issue, but if that does not work, I am not going to shop from ZZF again, and report them to the Better Business Bureau.

I really have a strong hatred for opening a supposedly new product and finding out that someone has already opened it and repackaged it in the hope that whoever buys it is a sucker and doesn't notice...

futura2001 said:
So, I ordered the retail eVGA 7800gt + Motherboard combo from ZZF and received the package yesterday. When I opened it, I immediately noticed that the motherboard box was not shrinkwrapped, unlike the 7800gt which was. Then I noticed that the product seal sticker was broken as well, and things only went downhill from there: the serial number on the box is different than the serial number on the motherboard itself.
Not only has the box been opened, it doesn't even contain the same motherboard that originally came in said box. Makes me wonder where the original is, and why it isn't in the box.
Not to mention the fact that "retail" usually means that the box is unopened and contains the original merchandise.

I am trying to contact contact customer support and resolve the issue, but if that does not work, I am not going to shop from ZZF again, and report them to the Better Business Bureau.

I really have a strong hatred for opening a supposedly new product and finding out that someone has already opened it and repackaged it in the hope that whoever buys it is a sucker and doesn't notice...
iv heard alot of other people having the same happen to them :(
and i dont think it was just from zzf

I emailed them within minutes of opening the box from FedEX, and hopefully I will get an answer soon...
I just noticed that they are now "out of stock" of the eVGA motherboard, so it might be a lot harder to get a replacement motherboard. They probably ran out of sealed new motherboards by the time they shipped my order and just threw in whatever they could find in the refurb/return bin. This is not looking good...

If you get a serious problem, PM SilverSinkSam, he'll help you out, check out his Sticky up top.

I have been buying from ZFF before they where ZFF (googlegear) and never once had a problem with them.

Unless you have had multiple bad runins with ZFF I would not be rushing to conclusions. IMO ZFF is every bit as good as newegg, sometimes better when they have lots of the items free 2 day shipping.

Last edited:
I just received an email from them: they stated that the mobo doesn't come shrinkwrapped from eVGA, and to send them the serial number information so they can best help assist me. Although the lack of motherboards in stock has me somewhat worried: it came as a "free" gift with the 7800gt for $380.00, so it is debateable as to whether it is worth anything or not...

Had the same thing happen a few weeks ago with an Epox Mobo. Did not have the accesories described in the manual or on the web site. Was told that mobos don't come shrink wrapped and that a link to the Epox site says I got everything I should have. Whatever. Not sure I believe this at all. End up doing the RMA gig, bad AGP slot (no signal). $10 later for shipping and I still have not heard from them. Makes me wonder...

Edit: You know that "free" 2nd day shipping is not quite free when I think about it.

Most motherboards dont come to the retailer shrinkwraped, the come in boxes stacked on a pallet that is then srinkwraped. It could be any number of things, and Retail only means that it contains everything that the manufactuer says is included so long as the MFG did not leave something out. I would say that unless you have a problem with the board dont worry about it, this kind of stuff happens and is not always shady practice, some times its just a mistake. When its shady you know because it either does not work, is dammaged in some way, or there are parts/components missing or wrong. This happend to me with Directron, the sent me some memory that was supposed to be paird and tested from the company but it was cleary not the origional matched set but they worked just fine so i never made a big stink about it.

I think I buy more from ZZF than most on here.(everything)

First of all, that problem is really, really shady. Raising an eyebrow is an understatement. What you're saying is that you ordered motherboard X and got motherboard Y, used?

I bought my NF7-S from them and it was not shrinkwrapped, so I wouldn't say that's a telltale sign.

Either way, there's no reason to panic, I don't know if this is like the hot new motherboard everyone wants, but if it's out of stock and ZZF tells you that you got screwed, they'll just give you $80(or whatever) credit for a different motherboard.

I've done a return(or two?) with ZZF before and their customer support has been nothing but flawless, you have no reason to worry. :)

mortimer said:
Edit: You know that "free" 2nd day shipping is not quite free when I think about it.
How is it not? Sure their prices may be a few more $ but still with the cheaper shipping it usally works out a few $ cheaper in the end.

infinitevalence said:
Most motherboards dont come to the retailer shrinkwraped, the come in boxes stacked on a pallet that is then srinkwraped.
Quoted for importance, my DFI from newegg was not shrink wraped, come to think of it none of my motherboards bought anywhere came shrink wraped.

And to clarify things i think he ordered the 7800GT with eVGA mobo combo, and the serial # on the box did not match the motherboard. Still if it works why would that matter?

tom10167 said:
Don't know about that, maybe a few smaller places, but just about everything on ZZF is less than it is on Newegg.
Yea, but it really depends on what your looking at, like my DFI was $3 more on ZFF, but with the free shipping it came out to $2 cheaper with egg's shipping added.

Archer36 said:
How is it not? Sure their prices may be a few more $ but still with the cheaper shipping it usally works out a few $ cheaper in the end.

Quoted for importance, my DFI from newegg was not shrink wraped, come to think of it none of my motherboards bought anywhere came shrink wraped.

And to clarify things i think he ordered the 7800GT with eVGA mobo combo, and the serial # on the box did not match the motherboard. Still if it works why would that matter?

possible RMA issues later if the Serial # on his invoice matches the box but not the product.

To clarify, the serial on the box is xxxxxxxxxxxx, and the serial number on the motherboard itself is yyyyyyyyyyyy. Having bought eVGA products before, the serial number on the box always matches the serial on the product (my graphics card had a warning on the box to make sure they did) itself in order to verify the pristine condition of the product...
But with the product seal broken and a motherboard with a different serial number inside, I know something is up.

I don't think he means the mobo came in shrinkwrapped, but in the anti-static bag with the paper seal. I've never had a board come that wasn't sealed in this fashion.

If it's retail, you're absolutely right, the serials should match. IMO, you have every right to return the board, and get them to reimburse you for shipping.

Grrr...
Not looking good.
ZZF asked for the SN on the box and mobo itself, so I emailed the serials to them, and now I haven't heard from them since. Sent out another email yesterday wondering what the hell was up, and I haven't gotten a reply yet.
Looks like I will be giving them an irate call tomorrow...

Definitely not pleased with ZZF's service so far.

Okay, they finally processed my request and sent me an RMA number.
20 days after I ordered the motherboard!
At least I don't have to send the video card in as well.
At least I actually got an RMA number...

Back