• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

just flashed my bios

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bmxpunk86pl

hey i got a abit vl6 and i just flashed my bios and at abits-usa.com is says under the notes for the new bios, it says:
1. Support CopperMine-T CPU.
2. Support Celeron 850(100),900(100)MHz CPU.
3. Support Cyrix III Samuel II CPU.
4. Change default setting of Processor Number Feature to disable.
5. Fix some memory modules POST failure issue on DIMM2, DIMM3.
6. BIOS compile date: 05/29/2001
does the support coppermine-t cpu mean i can have the tulatin?

No, but I wish (as I'm sure you do too) that it did. The coppermine-T is the coppermine (P-III and Celeron) above 1 gig that uses the heat spreader on the chip (I think), but does not include the Tualatin. Remember, the Tualatin CPUs use a Tualatin core (0.13 micron), not a coppermine core (0.18 micron). Sorry.

Last edited:
Well, I can't find the couple of articles I remember reading. I thought one was at Tom's Hardware, but maybe not. But here is a couple pics that show the heat speader. The Tualatin apparently has this same heat spreader. It's mainly just more surface area that the heatsink can contact so more heat can be conducted away.

tualatinandcopperminet.jpg

Here is a pic of a regular coppermine CPU with it's tiny core.

lappin1.jpg

Last edited:
batboy said:
Well, I can't find the couple of articles I remember reading. I thought one was at Tom's Hardware, but maybe not. But here is a couple pics that show the heat speader. The Tualatin apparently has this same heat spreader. It's mainly just more surface area that the heatsink can contact so more heat can be conducted away.

tualatinandcopperminet.jpg

Here is a pic of a regular coppermine CPU with it's tiny core.

lappin1.jpg

The heat spreader doesn't much for the tualatin except hold in heat IMHO. Why do they not put them on the i845 chipset then. At the same time they put a huge HS on them also.

You will get better heat transfer when you remove the IHS. The less distance heat has to travel the better for cooling generally. Plus heat transfer through two thermal joints disallows optimal heat transfer too.

Well, the PIIIs produce much less heat than the tbirds. We're talking 40 watts when overclocking the bejeezus out of it, and much less most of the time...a far cry from the 70+ watts tbirds do all the time. Also, it's not like they're just slapping on the heat spreader with some epoxy... This isn't the first time we've had heat spreaders...the old PPGA Intel procs had them as well. Intel definitely has a leg up on AMD when it comes to heat managment, and there must be a good amount of benefit to the IHS, since every single new Intel chip (Tualatins and both PIVs) use an IHS.

Oh, and check out Frostytech and their usage of both small and large blocks in their testing. In their current 11 heatsink lineup, as seen in their latest review, every HSF performs better on the larger than the smaller.

Back