• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First Water Cooling System

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SgtAnsell

Hello to everyone here!
I have been interested in water cooling for quite a while, and have been close to starting several times. Finally, I have found myself in a situation where I am satisfied with my system specs, and would like to employ some water cooling and overclocking.
I will start off by listing the info 9mmCensor suggested new people post.

* List what computer parts you have (basics like CPU, motherboard) or will be getting for your watercooled monster.

I have:
Athlon 64 3200+ 939pin cpu
Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe mobo
Asus N6600GT 256mb video card
2 WD 160gb hdd's (in raid 0)
1gb kingston ram

* List why you want to watercool. Is it noise, preformance, abit of both, or to be the only guy in the retirement home with a watercooled A64.

I want to do some overclocking, not really too much though. I think I'd like to get my processor from its current 2.01Ghz to about 2.7ish. My computer howls rite now, so I would like a noise decrease, however it is not the most important thing on my list. My cpu idles at about 36C and maxes 45~46C currently, this is probably mostly due to the poor airflow in my case, I already know its not exactly efficient. Lastly, being new to this, I'm kind of worried about leaks, and I heard they usually occur at the reservoir, so a reservoir outside the case would be nice i think.

* List your budget. From small to large, watercooling parts can be selected to fit your budget.

My budget currently is about $400CDN (350USD) but if thats not enough for what I need I can just wait till I've worked a few more hours. However, I'm not really interested in anything too expensive.

* List what tools you have or have access and how profficient you are with them.

I'm not really sure what tools are necessary. If all I need are regular tools my dad is a tool and dye maker so I have access to anything I want. If there are special computer water cooling tools however, I probably dont have them.

* List what kind of encloser (case) you have. And whether you are willing to cut it up.

I could make a few incisions in my case, but I'd really prefer to keep it all intac.

I've been looking over a few water cooling kits and one which caught my eye was the Zalman Reserator 1 Plus. I don't know if thats good for what I want but the reviews I've read have been good. It's a complete kit and I do want to cool the CPU, northbridge, and GPU with this.

Thank you all in advance for any input! :)

Aidenswarrior said:
Swiftech makes good kits. And isn't 400CA more like 250USD?
Also, you should wait longer than a half hour to bump posts ;)

Canadian dollar is strong man!(relatively) CDN * .87 = USD :p

(sry for bumping too fast i was gettin all excited >.< )

I just finished ready all those stickies and guides and such. I guess the northbridge is pointless? Mine currently is at around 45C which I thought was kind of hot buf if you guys could suggest a decent fanless or low noise chipset heatsink/fan I guess I could skip over the northbridge block.

I really don't want the reservoir to be internal, so are there any good options for that? Also, I'm considering cooling only the cpu, because I'm not sure that overclocking the gpu is really gonna change much on a 6600gt

Back