• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What's the best antifreeze/coolant?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Herr Rogers

I hear a lot of people say water wetter, then I hear it makes your hose cloudy. I have prestone coolant/anti-freeze in my garage, but what is the BEST?

water wetter gooked my tubes up baby sh*t looking green - i added some of it to the green uv liquid from TT with tap water - it may be ok with just water - i dunno - it fooooked mine up bad.

I'm running GM DEX COOL Prestone(orange stuff)
my 840 [email protected] only climbed 4 degrees all through 3dmark05

RDWest2005 said:
water wetter gooked my tubes up baby sh*t looking green - i added some of it to the green uv liquid from TT with tap water - it may be ok with just water - i dunno - it fooooked mine up bad.

I'm running GM DEX COOL Prestone(orange stuff)
my 840 [email protected] only climbed 4 degrees all through 3dmark05

That's what I have in the garage, the orange stuff. But what is the best?

there is NO the best, it just your choice of antifreeze/coolant you want but Zerex Super Coolant is recommended, at least it's not stink like Water Wetter

The DEX COOL is was told to me its the best for late model cars with alunimum blocks/heads/ and plastic intakes etc - and runs the coolest

only other alternative would maybe be racing antifreeze like they run in nascar

That would be my guess

~RD

All you need to consider for a coolant are the following: an anti-corrosive, an anti-algae agent of some sort, and some sort of surfactant if you desire. Antifreeze is a good anti-corrosive, iodine will take care of the algae, and Zerex Super Coolant or Water Wetter are ok surfactants. WW will cloud your tubes and its smelly. (I believe they both inhibit corrosion as well, possibly offsetting the need of antifreeze all together)

I vote for Zerex Super Racing Coolant. Had not problems at all!
WW really has a strange odor......
I heard windshield washer solution (anti freeze type) :shrug: is good... Never tried it.....

another vote for Zerex Super Racing Coolant.
turns water pink though.
ive never used anything else; distilled water and (10% mix) Zerex Super Racing Coolant.

i wanted to use hy-per lube but couldnt find any places in Ohio that even knew what it was... :(

PS this is what hy-per lube looks like: http://www.ocforums.com/showpost.php?p=4164926&postcount=131

-------

EDIT:

i PMed with krag and he said that Hy-per Lube is ViperJohn's preferred coolant additive. (and that VJ sent it along with the custom cooler he made for krag)

VJ KNOWS a thing or two about cooling, so count that as 1 BIG vote for Hy-per Lube ;)

Last edited:
So you don't need iodine in your loop? All I need is anti-freeze/coolant and distilled water? I will go to the store and see if they have zerex or hy-per lube.

Joe Camel said:
*ive* never had any problem with just those two but i have seen some nasty things growing in other peoples loops... :shrug:

So just to be safe I should get some iodine then? 3 drops is all it takes?

Waterwetter

I set my system up 3 YEARS ago. Radiator pump & reserivoir are outside the case. Cpu and gpu in the same loop. Water Wetter, Distilled water and a touch of rubbing alcohol. Have never had growth in the loop. No fans. Cannot get the temps to go above 39 Degrees Centigrade. Computer has never even glitched in that time. Athlon 2.4 running windows 2000. :santa:

Herr Rogers said:
So just to be safe I should get some iodine then? 3 drops is all it takes?
By using some iodine you are def playing it safe, I've never heard of one problem with using it in your loop. I haven't used it, and I've also never had algae, but I plan to use some when I rebuild my loop.

I use a few drops of iodine just to be on the safe side. It works like a charm. I personally like my blue VW antifreeze (or also called Pentosin). I tried Zerex once and it clouded the tubing in like 3 days. I have used blue VW for about 9 months and am very pleased with it.

I was going to go clear but if I can go blue, nice.

Is 1:10 Solution general for all Antifreeze/DI Water?

I see a few web stores have it for sale around $15 shipped, I'll have to check a few local auto stores unless anyone knows of a better place.

voigts said:
I use a few drops of iodine just to be on the safe side. It works like a charm. I personally like my blue VW antifreeze (or also called Pentosin). I tried Zerex once and it clouded the tubing in like 3 days. I have used blue VW for about 9 months and am very pleased with it.

I *think* one of the reasons some people have problems with growth when using Anti-Freeze + distilled water is that it depends on what type of anti-freeze is being used. Propylene Glycol (non or low-tox) antifreeze will not control growth as well as the Ethylene Glycol based antifreeze. There are other types out there but I am unsure as to the relative toxicity of the other alternates. Another possible factor would be how much antifreeze is actually used in the solution.

Iodine is cheap and does a good job. Probably better to avoid possible problems and go ahead and use some.

A whole gallon of the blue VW antifreeze is about $30 at the dealer. I just went ahead and bought a whole gallon as it made more sense to me than spending $15 ordering it for just a quart. I couldn't find this stuff locally in my area anywhere.

hum i did a bout a 50/50 mix i have to redo that my temps went to hell after that mistake and im not shure why?

im running 3 loops and my cpu loop will max out at 31c idle @28c
but sli loop is what im worried about 2 6800gts used to run 32c idle and 35c under load now its like 37c idle and 45c under load

im not sure what my HDD loop is running at right now but i know its running better than what it was

Back