• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Choose between these PSU's, or suggest another

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Know Nuttin

I've been getting lockups and what not recently, and I suspect the PSU is the culprit. It has served me well but I think I'm looking at an upgrade. Christmas hit hard this year though, not much money left, so any suggestions for other PSU's in the $100 CDN range would be welcomed. Please note that I cannot order from Newegg :p

The PSU's that I am looking at right now are:

1. Antec TruePower II 480w. I know larva has one and is powering his system just fine.

2. Antec Neo HE 430w. Only slightly more power than what I have now in terms of wattage but Seasonic OEM, and looks to have more power on the +12v lines overall

3. OCZ Powerstream 420w. Again, slightly higher in wattage but single rail +12v, and 28A should be enough for my rig.

4. Fortron AX500-A. Perennial favourite around here. Can't be discounted out of any PSU discussion easily.

5. Enermax Noisetaker 485w. I'm not extremely keen on Enermax but I will take it into consideration.

6. OCZ Modstream 520w. Have to throw this in. Not as good as the Powerstream series though.

Personally, I'm leaning towards either the OCZ or the Antec's.

SLI is not going to ever be in my future. At most, maybe 2GB of ram total (2x1GB modules). I don't see needing another hard drive or dual opticals. I run all my fans on 5v. I might move to a Presler but it's more realistic to say I will be moving to a Yonah type platform when it comes to the desktop in LGA775 format.

Any and all suggestions are welcome. If anyone thinks that I am crazy and that my PSU should be fine, chime up as well.

Last edited:
I knew you'd come up with a Zippy :). How efficient is it? I don't want tons of noise coming from the computer as I will usually leave it on overnight to fold some, or do some other video recording/encoding.

I have no idea how efficient this one is... the PSL-6701P is apparently better than 80%, but still not quiet. Methinks Zippy doesn't have any that are really quiet - I'd suggest Seasonic for that if they weren't so expensive here.

My upcoming FSP 600W might be more quiet, but it's not here yet to find out. Hasn't even been shipped yet :(

The quad 12v rails might be a problem though - I'm going to void the warranty and mod mine to run all 4, but that's just me.

In that case, I think you'd be ok with the ones I suggested in my edit above - Powerstream 420W or AX500-A. NCIX seems to have dropped the FSP550PLG-SLI or I would recommend that one too.

for a few $ over your budget you can get an antec TPII 550W at 124$ at dangeo.com(boxing week sale) and other sale at that site is the seasonic S-12 430w for 109$

S-12 430w wouldn't do, I don't think. It's got the same 12v outputs as my Fortron, which is just as capable as the Seasonic.

I'm going to probably go with the OCZ 420w, just for a change. I will troubleshoot this some more before going out and getting another PSU though. Maybe a reinstall is in order. I hope not. I just updated vid card drivers last week too, so that may have something to do with it.

Back