• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A8N32 Step-by-step installation?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MoreGooder

I just purchased the Asus A8N32-Deluxe motherboard from NewEgg today. I've been scouring the net trying to find a step-by-step installation thread without success. Of course, the manual helps, but it doesn't provide everything.

Asustech's website has drivers that can be downloaded for the Nforce4 chipset, the Silicone Image Raid controller, the Marvel Ethernet port and such. Which ones do I need?

I've also read about some patch for enabling dual core AMD processors. Will this be necessary now that the bios has been revised recently to 1009? How would I install that patch if I only have the dual core processor to begin with? Will it even boot into bios with the Opty?

By the way, please note that I'm coming from a Intel P4 to AMD Dual core Opty. I'm in brand new territory here in so many ways. Are there any pitfalls that others can share for transitioning to AMD?

What I'd like to do is prepare CD's and floppies with everything I'll need to get this new rig running because I don't have a spair computer to hop onto to download something I'm missing.

Your help would be greatly appreciated, and would probably be beneficial to others.

drop me a line i help you with it, it took me 2 hrs to figure it out too.
the cd that came with your board that is what you need no floppy included it is all on the cd. pm me and i'll help you!

You don't need to install the AMD x2 patch until you load the OS.

I would download all the latest drivers from Asus website, instead of using the included CD.

I had to create a floppy for the SATA drivers for the windows install, F6 option.

edit: Upgrade your BIOS to 1009 first, and do this on a floppy. I think you hit ALT + F2 during cold boot, to flash the BIOS. Never OC while flashing BIOS.

I was looking into this as well, use everything on the CD, it is up to date with the asus website as of right now. The bios also can be updated but i would do this through the windows asus update rather than try to do it through bios if you are unexperianced. If you plan on running raid you might need to get help from someone else here, i dont have experiance with it. If you need any help feel free to PM me I just got done installing mine. Also make sure if you make any changes on your motherboard as far as power and cable, make sure the green light is off by unplugging the power. I had 1 of these fry pretty easy on me already.

Thanks gents.

Here's what I've done thus far:

I've downloaded all of the latest stuff from Asus and saved on my "D" drive (old IDE dependable one). I will make the raid floppy for the nforce raid controller. I don't think I'll be needing the Silicone Image controller at all, and will disable it in the bios.

I've downloaded the AMD X2 patch. I read that you should do this patch AFTER installing WinXP SP2. I have SP2 on a disk already, so no big deal.

I will use AFUDOS to update the bios to 1009 right from the start, unless it comes shipped with 1009 to begin with.

I have a Raid 0 already running on my P4C800-E Deluxe, but I'm not even going to try to boot off of it. FAR FAR FAR too many changes for that windows installation to be useful. I'll extract anything I want to keep onto my trusty data drive "D", then write over the old windows installation by creating a new Raid 0 array. (BTW, 64K stripe size works best for a gaming rig in my opinion, but not sure if this will change for an AMD dually rig). I never keep anything critical on my Raid 0 array, and use this drive only for windows and games.

I also found a great writeup for overclocking an AMD processor at, of all places, a Whirlpool user forum.

Linky

Last edited:
Sounds like you got the plan... shouldn't have any problems. And more important, welcome to the AMD side, you'll love it! :welcome:

Thanks Motley, for the friendly welcome.

I have a feeling that I"ll be an avid AMD fan. The only reason I went with a P4 I'm using right now was because the AMD processors were sky high by comparison. Now, I want performance and dual processor with umph. AMD is the king at the moment. Intel has new processors coming late in the year, but prices will be high and mobo's scarce for some time after launch I would imagine. I'm sure I'll get several years of use out of this 939 socket mobo.

Post complete system specs and I'll help to.
There's also a set of divers only only on the Cd under nForce you'll need for the F6 load also.
Now what's this about an AMD patch? I've had this thing running a couple of days now.

Here are my planned specs:

Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe (of course)
Opteron 175 dually.
2Gb of Muskin PC4000 (re-using)
Sata Raid 0 via the Nvidia onboard controller using 2 identical 74Gig Sata 1 drives.
Onboard AC'97 sound (until the new Bluegears PCI sound cards make it to market)
Graphics: eVGA 7800GT
PSU: Enermax Liberty ELT620, 620W modular
Display: Hitachi SuperScan Elite 751 (crusty old 19" CRT)

Watercooling:
Re-using my modded ATX case with water cooling compartment (I'll include pics later)
Swifty Apogee waterblock for the Opty
Either a Swifty MCW-55 or a Maze4 low profile waterblock for the GPU (leaning towards Maze4 low profile due to eventual SLI)
Mag 3 pump (re-used)
Chevette HC (re-used)
5-1/4 bay dual height Res (re-used)

I'm in the same situation. I got my A8N32 yesterday and waiting for my SI-120 to arrive today or tomorrow.

I'm planning to use the following:
Opteron 175
ASUS A8N32-SLi Deluxe
eVGA 7800GT
OCZ 2x1GB Performance
Maxtor 250GB IDE HDD, might move to SATA as soon as the new Raptor comes on
OCZ Powerstream520
Antec P180
Thermalright SI-120

I don't have SP2 on my Windows XP thing, so I'll assume things should still run correctly, ie the AMD hotfixes and all the BIOS updates.

I'm planning to boot into the OS correctly with the IDE HDD and OS installed, then update BIOS via the ASUS Update utility.

If I have 2x1GB of ram and want to run it in dual channel, it would be placed in slots A1 and B2 right? The manual is a tad confusing regarding that part.

Any else I should know before trying to start this up?

darksparkz said:
I don't have SP2 on my Windows XP thing, so I'll assume things should still run correctly, ie the AMD hotfixes and all the BIOS updates.

I'm planning to boot into the OS correctly with the IDE HDD and OS installed, then update BIOS via the ASUS Update utility.
Actually, according to the AMD website where you download the patch, it specifically says SP2.

darksparkz said:
If I have 2x1GB of ram and want to run it in dual channel, it would be placed in slots A1 and B2 right? The manual is a tad confusing regarding that part.

Any else I should know before trying to start this up?
Manual page 2-12:
"When using two DDR DIMM modules, install one into DIMM_A1 and DIMM_B1 slots only". Those are the two Blue slots.

Be sure to have your floppy ready for the raid drivers. Even though you aren't using Raid until later, you'll still need to "F6" them in during the Windows installation!

Oh, and never EVER update the mobo's bios when overclocked.
Personally, I have used the floppy drive AFUDOS method for bios updates on my P4C800-E mobo, and plan to do the same for this one too. Don't be afraid of it. It's really very painless and fast.

Always check outside for power company trucks or thunderstorms. If the power goes out during the bois update, you'll need to send the board in for repair.

I will tell you one thing. Total different beast than the Intel platform. I'm still boggled by some of the options in the bios.
If you browse to the nForce drivers on the set up CD, you find a utility for making a floppy for F6 booting. There are two driver files that need to be installed on the F6 prompt, that being one, and the SATALink Driver from the create CD menu.
Another neat thing I've discovered but not yet explored is that it will default to a flash drive inserted on a USB port. Logically you should be able to boot off it.
One strong opinion I have I doubt any can argue with is that the manual BLOWS CHUNKS! Once you install bios update 1009, half the menu options change. One more caution is an apparent issue with the nVidia chipset when used for a RAID0 array boot drive it doesn't like to acknowlegde large drives. I eventually moved mine over to the 3132 chip and it loaded right up. I'm still playing with it and will share what I learn as I go.
Be prepared to excerise your patience.
OH and benchcheck your asssembly prior to case installation. I sent two boards back to ASUS.

I am, specifically the ActiveArmor feature. I was able to use the Anti-Hack feature without any issues, but ActiveArmor would corrupt all my downloads.

ActiveArmor. Pfft. I use Zone Alarm. Nuf said.

What is this SATALink Driver you mention? I thought the only one needed was the Nforce Sata driver.

From what I've picked up, 250- 300gigs. More often Maxtor than not. I've had no issue with the LAN and did not activiate the firewall. I use a hardware on the incoming lines.

After three installs on this puppy, I'm starting to find my way around finally. I'll try to find time to sit down later today and write down the processes and files I used to boot off a RAID array. If you go looking for F6 files, you'll find a total of 5 possibilites for the F6 insertion. I used three to get mine up.

PS. That is if I don't decide to wipe and start over. The jump to AMD plus the inclusion of an SLI config has left my scalp slightly less populated. :rolleyes:

mrgreenjeans.

Yeah, a write-up would be FANTASTIC. The entire community would be greatful, especially once this board becomes readily available. I suspect that it will be the hottest mobo around for some time to come, just like my P4C800-E was back in its hayday.

5 possibilities for the F6 step? WOW! I'm surprised so much is necessary. Please divulge what you know on this very important issue.

THANKS!
MG

Back