• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which CPU for my new setup :)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

huey

I am upgrading my computer, and looking at cpu's. Alots changed since the day of the newcastle and the winchester 939's. I want to get a chip with a good amount of cache that also has a good amount of speed. I dont want to spend more than 300 on the chip. I was wondering what would be a good chip for my budget/rig.

Heres what i will be running
2x512 GSKILL FX's
DFI lanparty ultrad
ocz powerstream 520.
7800 GT
Watercooling. (not a kit)

Well I love my 3700+ Sandy you can get them for as low as 202 with free 2 day shipping

Definetly looks like San Diego core will be the way to go with this setup. Here are your choices:
- 3700+
- Opteron 144
- Opteron 146
- Opteron 148

If you buy any one of these, chances are you'll be able to overclock it to >2.5GHz
:)

All the 144, 146, and 148 should OC to 2.9ghz or so, results vary, but many have done it.

If you are willing to break $300, you'd get a great CPU, the Opteron 165 dual core, just by spending that extra bit of money, you'd have a huge upgrade from the 148s.

I would also suggest you consider adding those $20-30 and get the dual core 165 Opteron.

Back