• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

6 fans, 2 TECs, and no heat spreader

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Revivalist

After seeing the benefit of a TEC on the CPU, I decided to put a TEC on the video card. Danger Den was kind enough to take my chrome Maze4 GPU block and convert it into the Maze4-1 (the peltier version) for a small fee. I just mounted it along with some OCZ RAM sinks. Here it is . . .

videocardwithtecblockandsinks4.jpg

To deal with the extra heat load, I went from three Evercool 79CFM fans to six 114CFM Panaflos in a push/pull configuration on my BIX III. I also threw on some shrouds with neoprene sealing the cracks around the whole perimeter. Here's how it looks. . .

bixiiiwith6panaflos23vi.jpg

I also took off the heat spreader on my Opteron while I was at it.

cpuheatspreaderremoved1vw.jpg

It's said this will give better results but I guess I'll see for myself. At least it still was working after I did it. And I managed to mount the CPU TEC block without crushing the core. Here's the board with video card ready to be installed . . .

motherboardwithallwaterblockss.jpg

But unfortunately production is going to be on hold for the weekend. The wife and I are going to go visit my parents in LA. I'll post results when I get back and get it all up and running. :)

Looks like a lot of fun, best of luck! :thup: A64 cores are hardy, I've never used one with a heatspreader and never damaged the core even after countless mounts. That doesn't give you carte blanche to be reckless with it though, heh.

yea.. Im with them.. leaving us hanging.. lol JK

what's the total wattage of the pelts?
how much was the setup roughly $$?

So far no cold bug that I've seen. . . . But I'm not really experienced with that. What would be a symptom of it?

At 3.0GHz and 1.5V it idles at 4C. I haven't seen a load take it higher than 18C. And that's with 7V on the fans. (By the way, that's why it's definitely not as loud as a skill saw. :p ) I haven't done extensive testing yet. I just can't seem to find the time. But as soon as I do, I'll post back. . .

Ok, here's an update on how the system looks so far.

Side (with case closed)
closedcase24yy.jpg

Side (with case open)
caseopen4xx.jpg

Side (from above)
caseopenfromabove0ug.jpg

Back
back9um.jpg

UV action!
18finishedinside7yf.jpg

My Desk setup
desk21hb.jpg

I still haven't really had enough time to test how high I can take the CPU, RAM, video card, etc. . . . but I should be able to get started this weekend. I'm definately looking forward to it. :)

dude, thats a NICE set-up man!

and i REALLY like that green/blue color sceme!

All i ask is that you loan me some of your organizational skills!!!!

LabRat23 said:
I hope you get those kinks out before you test it this weekend. Good luck. :thup:
Thanks. . . . I was actually shocked when I discovered those kinks. They weren't there when I first setup the system. I wonder if the heat caused the tubes to get softer and then kink. . . . Anyhow, I guess I need to take care of those first. . . . Sheesh. I thought I was finally done. :rolleyes:

let me see if i can figure this out, is your meanwell in the top of the case where your computer psu usually is? and is that the psu on the bottom of the case??

Im trying to figure out how to mount everything inside my case..well auctually a new case, my chieftech dragon just wont hold it all. BIX III and the Meanwell 320

ScoobaMikey said:
let me see if i can figure this out, is your meanwell in the top of the case where your computer psu usually is? and is that the psu on the bottom of the case??

Im trying to figure out how to mount everything inside my case..well auctually a new case, my chieftech dragon just wont hold it all. BIX III and the Meanwell 320
No, actually the Meanwell is above my main PSU (the OCZ Powerstream). The green Aspire PSU at the bottom is just an extra PSU that I use to power 9 fans, 2 lights, and a fan controller. Here's some pictures that might help to see it better. I put a red box where I planned to put the Meanwell. Then in the second picture you can only see the lower half of the Meanwell because the upper half is covered by the case. (But it's actually an old picture when I used to use the Apsire as my main PSU.) . . .

02diagramformeanwellplacement2.jpg

16finishedside8ep.jpg

I also had to bore holes in the back of the case for the exhaust fans of the Meanwell.

15finishedback5al.jpg

I don't think you could do the same thing with the 320W Meanwell because its actually taller (though not as deep or wide). Your best bet is probably to put it in an optical drive.

By the way, you can notice from one of the earlier pictures in the thread that I mounted the BIX III on the back side of my case so it's still out of sight. This saved me a lot of needed space on the inside of the case and also made it possible to put fans on both sides of the BIX III in a "push-pull" configuration for better airflow. . . . But I don't know if you would mind having your BIX III outside the case in the back.

Very cramed case ya got there :) might wanna get a bigger one. Very cool setup you got going tho. Why so many hard drives?

Back