• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How hot is too much?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ticktock123

Hey everyone i feel a bit worried. My friend told me not to worry at all. But my computer is running really hot, at least to me. right now i have 2 80mm fans. One on the heat sink and one in front of that on the side of the case blowing out. No other fans are going right off hand.

Question: I am running a load CPU is 60C and off load it holds at 50C. Is this too hot and should i be worried aobut it and start to do something? I don't have THAT much money but i would rather buy a heatsink then a new CPU or a few other case fans. Thanks

which direction is your PSU fan running, out right?
If the fan in front is blowing out too wouldnt that make a trap in the middle where your cpu cooler is?
I suggest turning around your front fan, keep the air moving linear
That is kinda hot at load i think
(i take no responsability)
-prince

edit: sry your side fan, not your front fan

Wait hmm...here a little pic

Top view Back of MB (This arrow pointing down is the direction of air)
___________________________|
-----------> |_|Heat sink------|
-----------> |X|Fan blowing --\|/

-------------|X|-----------
Other side of case where the
other 80mm fan is. both blowing the same way

edit: Yes the PSU fan is blowing out...but that is in its own box has nothing really to do with the air flow of the computer.

there isn't much of air circulation in your case if is set up like that.
You should update your cooling system.
and 60c+140F is not KILLER yet but it's little high.
how bad is HSF?
did you look if your thermal past is OK?

ticktock123 said:
Wait hmm...here a little pic

Top view Back of MB (This arrow pointing down is the direction of air)

-------------|X|-----------
Other side of case where the
other 80mm fan is. both blowing the same way

edit: Yes the PSU fan is blowing out...but that is in its own box has nothing really to do with the air flow of the computer.

Why do you have your heatsink fan sending hot air to the blowhole and out into the cold air? It makes no sense to warm your room when you could reverse the direction of the fans and cool your CPU.
Do that, and report what your idle and load temps are.
If they are still in the 50s and above, you probably need to reseat your heatsink and put on some fresh thermal compound.

I would definitly reverse the airflow. You want heat rising and generally out the back and top. If you try and push it out the from it more than likely is being sucked back in near the drives. With these systems we have suck out fans in the back and blow-in in the front. Besides you want to exhaust the heat from the case closest to it's source (CPU).

Might want to see if you can fit 120mm fans, they tend to blow more air at less noise. Might even want to consider a new case if your fan setups don't work too well.

You may want to try reseating your heatsink and applying new thermal interface material, TIM.

Back