• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MCW6002 mounting

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Seanohue

I was installing the MCW6002 on my comp a few days ago and I really had to fight with it to get it on. I had to remove the washers and the little white rings and compress the block to the board very tightly to get the threads on the screws to catch on the backplate. I didnt even use the retention frame because it wouldnt fit. Did anyone else have this problem on the DFI LanParty NF4 inlcuded backplate and retention frame?

Seanohue said:
I was installing the MCW6002 on my comp a few days ago and I really had to fight with it to get it on. I had to remove the washers and the little white rings and compress the block to the board very tightly to get the threads on the screws to catch on the backplate. I didnt even use the retention frame because it wouldnt fit. Did anyone else have this problem on the DFI LanParty NF4 inlcuded backplate and retention frame?

Not exactly.. I had problems with my apogee on my lanparty though, using both the stock backplate and the zalman backplate that came with my CNPS7000. I just went washer-less and the problem was gone. The spring seems to have quite a bit extra give in it so there didnt seem to be a loss of pressure or whatever.

You cant install this block without the backplate and if the CPU was in the socket wrong, then shoot me lol. Anywho, I'll order the backplate from Swiftech and see that does.

Last edited:
Seanohue said:
You cant install this block without the backplate and if the CPU was in the socket wrong, then shoot me lol. Anywho, I'll order the backplate from Swiftech and see that does.

The screws supplied with the block are about 1/8" too short, so you have to push down on the springs to engage the bolts in the backplate. Easiest fix is to just use longer #6-32 screws.

I had the same problem with an SLI-D and the 6002. The supplied screws are simply too short.

I found if you just use the stock DFI screws, with just the bracket, and tighten that down all the way it works perfectly fine.

Hmmm, I have the SLi-DR and the screws DID seem too short, but I just pushed with all my might and they caught, and did a fantastic job after they caught too. ;) Obviously I'm not using the top bracket anymore for mounting reasons, but it should fit? :confused:

I had the exact same problem, but my Apogee mounted on without a hitch. I had to take the MoBO and sit it flat on a table so I could push down hard enough to get the screws to reach. I was afraid of cracking the board with it in the case. I ended up eventually using longer bolts through from the bottom and securing the block with wingnuts so I could adjust in small amounts from one side to the other. The issue is the non-standard backplate on the DFI.

so if its just the DFIs plate, anyone elses should work right? Im just goin to get a new plate since I have to remove the mobo everytime I need to do work on it.

Yea but the backplate doesnt hav an adhesive on it so it falls out of alignment during mounting so then the entire board has to be removed to fix it.

Seanohue said:
Yea but the backplate doesnt hav an adhesive on it so it falls out of alignment during mounting so then the entire board has to be removed to fix it.

I've never had that problem. Hell, I've mounted my block in my case while it was on a 45 degree tilt instead of being flat (easier to work on). Now that it's lidless I have to do it flat, but I've yet to have the backplate go willy nilly on me.

My backplate would fall between the board and mobo tray on my DFI until I used the screws from the bottom. I ran a tiny little nylon nut down to the board to hold it all in place so I can remove it without worry. The nylon is also non-conductive so there's no issue with shorts.

I had this same problem when putting my 6002 on my 775....found out, it has to be installed in a certain direction. Instructions didn't tell me this, and I had to flip it 180*.

Fits fine now.

Back