• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Official Presler/Cedar Mill Overclocking & Issues Thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
markodude said:
I am never above 55c with the case closed at 4ghz 1.3v, Zalman 7700Cu, about 34-35c idle - when I had it cooled with 1c air next to the window the CPU was 32c load, 19c idle.
It runs a lot cooler than the 840 which was about 48c idle and went up to 72c!
Those are very good temps for air, i had my 830 running @4GHZ with my xp-120 and my Delta @7.V and 100% load temps would hit 63c.

This 650 i have @4.25GHz sits at 30c idle and 43c load, not sure if i want to invest in water cooling if i'm not going to gain a hell of a lot.

There's alot of good information here guys, thanks for contributing.

On Monday my 920 will be here so I'll be adding my results into the mix. Will be running it under a Zalman 9550 LED. Honestly, I don't care if I hit 4.0ghz. I'll be happy with 3.4-3.6ghz, and 3.8 I'll be one giddy OCer.

crotale said:
I think it's a good thing to collect stats about how different chips overclock and I think it is a good idea to bring in the FPO/Batch codes in as well, so we might be able to see when the lower graded chips starts to overclock like the higher graded, and also which plants that produce the best chips.
Ya I plan on doing that, I'll list mine in a picture when it gets here.

but they are definitely too hot for serious overclocking with air coolers if you ask me.
Id like to think that people will get something out of them but ultimately you are correct. They really are about on the edge of what air can handle

Morning people :)
I left the system running Prime95 for for 8 hours last night, with 2 instances of SETI also running - it was at 4ghz and 1.3v - it produced no errors (with RAM at 3-3-3-9 1T 564Mhz).
It did however throttle a bit at 6am when the heating came on.....but the room was getting a little too hot. The throttling was fairly insignificant as throttlewatch still showed the overall result in the journal at 0% throttling.....

@z0n3 - sure is - I need water, but I have done for years, every time I think about getting it I just get a faster component instead, lol

markodude said:
@z0n3 - sure is - I need water, but I have done for years, every time I think about getting it I just get a faster component instead, lol
Slightly off topic, but in response to the quoted statement:

I would really reccomend taking the plunge into H20, if this is ur main rig. The peeps in the H20 sections of the fora are very knowledgeable & helpful, as long as you do a bit of research B4 you post, to show ur not just popping in asking ppl to do all ur work for you.

If ur an avid Ocer, once you go H20, I sincerely believe you'll never go back to air for ur personal machine. The stability & peace-of-mind, as summer temps climb, is worth every penny! I was like you, on-the-fence, for the last two years since I got my first C0 stepping S478 Prescott. I recently went H20 several months ago, and now feel I wasted two years screwing around w/air & hot procs, and all the instabilities & fiddling around it involves. Now I just run at 4G, and never concern myself w/much anything stability related, irregardless of the changes in ambient room temps. If the aircon craps out, no biggie.

Even tho most peeps will advise you to do a DIY H20 system, even a decent "kit", like the Swifty Apex, will do you wonder's better than air. Hell, I started w/a "moderate" Swifty single 120.1 ~150 U$D kit sys in my current sig rig, and it made a great improvement over my Delta modded Zalman 7700cu (And the Zalman is generally considered to be a relatively hi-end HSF when Delta modded - among the best, IMHO).

I'd say to seriously consider giving H20 a try, if you plan to continue on OCing Hi-TDP procs...you can always otherwise keep the rest of the H20 system, and switch the waterblock (a ~35 - 50 U$D proposition - similarly priced to switching to a new aftermarket HSF ***'y) if ur next build's cpu form-factor/skt changes, from what ur currently running.

My only possible hesitation for the requirement of going H20, would be if ur going to be playing w/the new Intel Conroe/Mermon cpu's, and they end up having a very low TDP, similar to Dothan. Right now, that's still an unknown (and IMO, improbabality), and we live (and OC) in the present. But even with that possibility, I'd still probably use my H20 sys, since I've already got it, and really like it.

Ohhh....and once you get used to the quiet of a properly set up H20 system, you'll be amazed at high nice it is compared to the dB levels required to air cool a heavily OC'd 'Prescott type" system! :cool:

Strat (AKA "The Water Evangelist")

Did anyone notice on Anandtech's CES reports that Dell is putting out a 955XE clocked to 4.26ghz under air stock...

Maybe Intel is speed binning the chips and only the 940's/950's are currently the uber clockers and the rest have to make due.

Batboy: Strongly agree with your speed binning remark. Historically, yields on new processors are low. As yields improve and supply catches up with demand, perfectly capable 3.8ghz CPU's will be de-tuned to 3ghz. Realistically, now is not the best time to find great overclockers among the low end chips. However, there could be a lot of golden mid range chips.

bobad said:
Batboy: Strongly agree with your speed binning remark. Historically, yields on new processors are low. As yields improve and supply catches up with demand, perfectly capable 3.8ghz CPU's will be de-tuned to 3ghz. Realistically, now is not the best time to find great overclockers among the low end chips. However, there could be a lot of golden mid range chips.
Perhaps so, but right now there are two strikes against the 930 series. That leaves either the rest to be even worse or much better. We will see in due time

markodude said:
EDIT: Have you seen this - http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=28841

Will there have to be a stepping change to enable EIST, if it was just a BIOS thing surely it would be sorted already....can anyone confirm it works?
The more I hear about this generation the more worried I grow. Its a damn good thing I bought a retail box because if anything is wrong with this chip I *FULLY* intend to use my warrenty options

Mark, no, it does not work...only on ES's at the moment and from everything I've read about it, EIST, C1E, etc. won't be available until Q2 (or the next revision). I have no clue if there will ever be a real LockFree on any of them.

I don't think I screwed anything up. While a 2 core proc was new to me, I tried everything I knew on a ridiculously stable system in all other respects. The PSU kinda threw me for a loop, but other than that, I swear I've tried everything and there's just no more in this 930 I have. PcCI's 930 is nearly identical on stock air (just 350Mhz higher with +.05Vc and 16C cooler ambients). I'd call that pretty much the same.

I will admit that it never even crossed my mind to try Vc's as high as crotale when it was on the single stage. Possibly it could've gotten a few hundred more MHz on the OC just to look at, but temps were already to the point where it would not complete a long benches with 4.5GHz @ 1.500Vc.

Ross I hate to say it but I would immediately put your chip in either the for sale section here or ebay.
It was tentatively sold today at a discount to a member who is building a system for another person who he says will be just happy with 3.75GHz...4GHz will be icing and it will be on an EXOS, so other than losing some $$$, at least it will make someone happy. I am also listing my 670 in the classifieds and RMAing my x1600XTs they just because they suck too much to keep :) So I am freeing up some $$ for a P5WD2-E, new PSU and whichever proc I decide to try next.

I read somewhere that the Cedar Mills were launched already also, so I am hoping that Egg will add both CM and Preslers at the same time (sometime between tomorrow and next Monday?). I am still waiting to see what the 920s and 940s bring to the table, but I am severely gun shy now and will most likely just opt for the 661. I think the 920s will be hit or miss and the 940s only slightly better than the 930s we're seeing. I also think if you want a "really good" OCing Presler right now, it's going to be nothing short of a 950/955XE.

I am betting all the 955XEs are hand picked from the speed bin and is why they are OCing relatively nice. I haven't seen a single non-ES yet though and going back to my much earlier posts about Preslers, I have yet to see one much past 300FSB. All the high OCs I've seen on them come in the form of multipler changes at the same 266-315ish FSB. 300FSB definitely seems like an issue point, at least on the 955X chipsets, and I will be looking forward to seeing how much better a 975X will run them at the higher FSBs (if cooling allows).

I HOPE the 940s surprise everyone, but until I get a cascade going, I think it's going to be a high end Cedar Mill for me :)

Can i ask what people think about these results in the 9XX threads ? I remember the talk was a Celeron doing 5 gigs on air,,Do these chips appear to clock as well as that celeron ? ?

diehrd said:
Can i ask what people think about these results in the 9XX threads ? I remember the talk was a Celeron doing 5 gigs on air,,Do these chips appear to clock as well as that celeron ? ?

My expectations, which probably differ from others, were that dual core Presler would average around 4.2-4.3 on high end air or low end water. The initial batch of the 920's and 930's are falling short of that but not by a great deal.

The Cedar Mills such as that Celeron are not on the market yet but I think the average OC will probably fall short of 5G with air.

EDIT: I am pretty satisfied with my results and am happy with the performance thus far. For me, cooling and power have been non-issues.

Last edited:
S_Wilson said:
My expectations, which probably differ from others, were that dual core Presler would average around 4.2-4.3 on high end air or low end water. The initial batch of the 920's and 930's are falling short of that but not by a great deal.

The Cedar Mills such as that Celeron are not on the market yet but I think the average OC will probably fall short of 5G with air.

Seriously though, I don't think we should be expecting 5.0ghz type numbers out of any of these retail presler\cedarmill. If the chips could do it, Intel would clock them at 4.5ghz or whatever, but no they clock them in the 3ghz range because they are unable to run 4.5-5ghz.

RangerXLT8 said:
Seriously though, I don't think we should be expecting 5.0ghz type numbers out of any of these retail presler\cedarmill. If the chips could do it, Intel would clock them at 4.5ghz or whatever, but no they clock them in the 3ghz range because they are unable to run 4.5-5ghz.

Definetly not from Pressler but Cedar Mill should be able to get into upper 4 range.

Back