• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Official Presler/Cedar Mill Overclocking & Issues Thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
2 cores are harder to OC anyway, more power, more heat, etc. One of the cores might be great and the other so-so and you'd never know only one was the hang up. I would hope at the very least that Cedar Mills could run a couple hundred MHz faster than Preslers. I see no reason that they shouldn't, which could definitely mean the 4.4-4.7GHz range stable on air from what we've seen on the low end Preslers.

The real question will be how well they scale past the stock air mark. Presler is not looking too good so far. Water adds just a few hundred MHz and phase just a couple hundred more and that stinks. I have every reason in the world to believe a 661 should match or beat my 670 OC, yet somehow I am nervous that it won't come close :)

just got my 920!
package date is 12/30/05
idling @ 23/24C
now to start ocing

update: just booted into windows..everything seems to be stable but there's a few seconds delay before apps start :shrug:
4ghz5se.jpg

voltage also fluxes upto 1.35v, but it did this even when i waas running stock

Last edited:
What cooling and what ambients? That's cool temps! That looks real good so far...better than Ranger's, but I think his temps were a decent amount warmer...

now @ 4.1ghz..still stock volts
26C idle
its 65F in my room

im going to try 4.2ghz - 300fsb on stock
if i make it, im starting my own thread :D
will report back soon!

i just wish i knew why there was a few second delay before proggies start (when i click them - im guessing instability...but no crashes yet)

Lookin good d94, just further proving the point that my CPU is fed up. Hopefully Ill get one that is similar to yours.

Congrats XOCer!! I didn't really think you'd wait either :)

Regarding my lack of Presler OC on phase: mikeguava posted on XS that his 955XE seems to have some sort of cold bug :shrug:
just tried Ln2 again - CPU will crash once it reaches -38C core temps. ANother hero on air/semi cold - dud on cold.
It COULD be the motherboard, and granted I was running nowhere near that cold, but maybe the 65nms (or at least the Preslers) just don't like extreme cold and that could explain the minimum gain I got over air/water? If Intel added a cold bug to these I will just cry :cry: If the CM clocks like crap on the single stage, I'll....I dunno yet...something :)

Haha, and his Vc is probably 1.60 volts! The more people I talk to with big clocks on Preslers all say the same thing: it takes more than 1.50Vc for big clocks, even on the 955XEs. I wish I had the balls to try a quick 1.55Vc OC on mine 930 before I pull it out for the 661.

I keep repeating myself that the OC "bravery" level will determine how these will clock, but I think they are way capable of 4.5-5GHz. I definitely think we'll see more and more OCs like that as more and more people get them.

That's nice to see though :)

bazx, if it wasn't sold already, I would've done it after the fact. I just pulled the 930 out of my board though and installed a 661 in it's place :D

d94, if that's true, find out WTF he bought that thing from, pack date and packing country (last two just out of curiosity)!! If the 661 doesn't really pan out here this weekend, I'll be all over a 920 and that one sounds insane!

Ross said:
bazx, if it wasn't sold already, I would've done it after the fact. I just pulled the 930 out of my board though and installed a 661 in it's place :D

d94, if that's true, find out WTF he bought that thing from, pack date and packing country (last two just out of curiosity)!! If the 661 doesn't really pan out here this weekend, I'll be all over a 920 and that one sounds insane!
the dude took the freakin thing apart!

naked930.JPG

I used a razor to cut the seal first..dont cut to far there are tiny smd componets inside there also,use a jewler torch on a stand to heat the IHS up verry fast then use my flat head sliper under the side to raise the ihs off,then use a good flat new razor to clean the solder off the cores, use 2000 grit sand paper to polish her up and away u go!

FPO/BATCH L541B379
PACKAGE DATE : 12/23/05

WOW!

i've never seen someone sucessfully remove the ihs of any intel chips since the m0's started coming with them soldered on!

have you got a link to that d94?

*edit* i found it.....and does anyone else noticed the forums are a bit slow/unresponsive?

Last edited:
RangerXLT8 said:
Seriously though, I don't think we should be expecting 5.0ghz type numbers out of any of these retail presler\cedarmill. If the chips could do it, Intel would clock them at 4.5ghz or whatever, but no they clock them in the 3ghz range because they are unable to run 4.5-5ghz.

Intel is gun shy and has been met with failures of Prescott and promises of ultra high clocks. The core of technical staff still believe in ultra high clocks, the management cautious of dissapointing the public again and obsessed with multi-core. This is not my own speculation but comments from a friend or 2 in Oregon. Releasing the new .65um die over 4Mhz does not plug the hole in their roadmap. Nice thread guys, just seen it

EDIT: UFB that guy cracked the lid on the Presler. Now hook up phase right to the die.. :)

Question:
I had a Zalman 9500 in my card and just saw sentinels comment:
"You MUST have adequate cooling (XP120, Ninja Scythe, TT Typhoon and above. Zalman doesnt cut it)"

The Scythe looks really good, but maybe he didn't consider the 9500?.... Any opinions on the BEST HSF out there to date...

thx

Last edited:
hUMANbEATbOX said:
WOW!

i've never seen someone sucessfully remove the ihs of any intel chips since the m0's started coming with them soldered on!

have you got a link to that d94?

*edit* i found it.....and does anyone else noticed the forums are a bit slow/unresponsive?
yea they are slow

btw he got the 930 off newegg!

[OT]I've had to copy/paste at least 4 posts into an email draft for posting at a later time because the forums wouldn't load. Must be too many people on the server looking at the Presler/CM threads :D[/OT]

Back