• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Official Presler/Cedar Mill Overclocking & Issues Thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
greenmaji said:
You might be having Vdroop problems, check speedfan or equivelent for the Vcore voltage under stress and see how much it drops.
I doubt there are any Vdroop mods published out ther for 945 mobos so you might need to add Vcore equivelent of the droop to get past it :-/

Yeah I have vdroop problems. 1.3625V in BIOS but from AiBooster or Speedfan I'm getting only like 1.30-1.33V. In idle it goes up to 1.4V. I'm not sure whether I can trust Speedfan or AiBooster's readings. BTW my P5LD2 Deluxe has the same board layout like P5WD2 955X. Modding is possible but I'm not going to take the risk. My PC is currently under my desk. Does moving it up on top of the table reduce the temps?

270FSb may be the limit for that particular NB regardless of how well the chip overclock's, I'm surprised your memory ruins as well as it does and passes mem-test, but that is a very isolated test and it's ran outside of the OS which is a very controlled environment. As far as your voltage fluctuating that's completey normal for Intel processors and even occurs in the BIOS based on a number of conditions. I imgine you have Speedstep and Thermal throttling Disbaled, but are still features which are not accesable through the BIOS such as "On Demand" and most pertinent , found in the Voltage Regulator Down 10.1 white paper (section 2.6.1.) Voltage Identification Functionality and D-VID. If you read those section from that link provided (PDF file) it will help you to understand what's happening, or eliminate that possibility.

If you want help you with temps photos of your case would help. If it's "under" anything especially a desk up against a wall temps are most likely much higher then if the PC werein an open space. I keep my PC's by a sliding glass door so I'm very fotunate because I can open the slider and let cool air in.

However, when I test for reviews the cases are buttoned up and the slider door is closed ensuring the temp remains stable. I run benchmarks either at night or in the day but never when temp changes are occuring at dusk or dawn.

Anyway temps are so important and most cases are very poorrly ventillated. I'm actually suprised people are building cases with a single 12cm intake fans in the front and a maximum of two 12cm exhaust fans in the rear. Side panel fans usually disrupt air flow more then anything since they disturb any vacum which might be created with a quality sealed case using a front 12cm and few rear 12cm fans.

The only thing you can do now if your PC case is under a desk is get a case with a 250mm fan on the side-panel such as the Thermaltake Armor, problem is these cases (AeroCool makes one too) are costly.

tt-armor-case-b-250w-5.jpg

Last edited:
I dont think 270fsb is the limit. Ive tried 280fsb with 1.4V in BIOS. Orthos failed after 43hours so to be safe I'm back to 270fsb at 1.3625V I dont think its worth it to go raise the Vcore above 1.4V just to get another few hundred Mhz. I'm using Presler 930 B1 so it doesnt come with Speedstep. Thermal throttling is enabled. I don't think my RAM is holding me back because it is supposed to run at 266mhz default. I've tried running rightmark's memtest in windows and found no problem over 24 hours. My CPU temp is a bit high(load around 55C below 60C). I dont think there is anythink I can do to lower down the temp except by changing my case(TT Soprano). The reason I keep my PC below my desk is because it's quite noisy and my bed is just beside it. I have two 120mm intakes and one 120 exhaust,pci slot blower at 7V and PSU's 90mm exhaust. It pretty cramped inside the case and I have to hide all the PSU cable above the case. Here are some pics of my setup. Please advise.

Attachments

• IMG_1556.JPG
    IMG_1556.JPG
    132.4 KB · Views: 216
  • IMG_1557.JPG
    IMG_1557.JPG
    139.5 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_1559.JPG
    IMG_1559.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG_1560.JPG
    IMG_1560.JPG
    140.8 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_1561.JPG
    IMG_1561.JPG
    114.5 KB · Views: 206
Well I know from running extensive benchmarks on my 930D that once temps climb over 50C the processor slows regardless of whether you disable Thermal Throttling. if; however, Thermal Throttling is enabled there's really no way you can maintain a "stable" overclock because the processor will throttled down, Vcore will fluctuate.

Your case does look pretty good, and i certainly didn't mean to criticze your system, I think most cases can be designed a little better in the internal air-flow department.

The best solution for that processor would be to spen a few dollars on H20 cooling.

Where are you located, maybe I can help you out with a donation, but I can't promise anything.

Liquid3D said:
Well I know from running extensive benchmarks on my 930D that once temps climb over 50C the processor slows regardless of whether you disable Thermal Throttling. if; however, Thermal Throttling is enabled there's really no way you can maintain a "stable" overclock because the processor will throttled down, Vcore will fluctuate.

Your case does look pretty good, and i certainly didn't mean to criticze your system, I think most cases can be designed a little better in the internal air-flow department.

The best solution for that processor would be to spen a few dollars on H20 cooling.

Where are you located, maybe I can help you out with a donation, but I can't promise anything.

Thanks for the advice. I have checked with Rightmark CPU Clock Utility and I didn't find any problems with thermal throttling. I'm not sure what will happen if I disable TT. Do you recommend me to disable it? My CPU's voltage fluactuates between 1.3-1.34V at load. Does that means the cpu is throttling?

I'm in Japan now and I don't think I will be getting H20 cooling for this setup. Maybe my next project. I think I using a good air cooler at the moment(Ninja Pro).Thanks anyway:)

Back