• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I'm finally making the switch..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
R4z0r4mu5 Pr|m3 said:
very cool, the av710 comes with an optical cable which may be a bit short, if that's the case just get a longer optical cable of the same type
Update: I just ordered the chaintech av710 card at Zip Zoom Fly because I love their serve.

Skeptical about receivers, since I know nothing about them. If anyone could vouch for the TX-SR303S that would be greatly appreciated. I will be doing some more reading tonight. And I just found out my dad has an RCA receiver from mid 1990's, so I can just use that until I purchase a receiver(if its even possible to plug the rca into the chaintech. I also found out he has 5 speakers and a sub that could be hooked up to the receiver, so I could always add surround sound and I already have a sub !

One question: What cables exactly will I need? IF anyone could list the exact cables (no links needed I can just do a search on pricegrabber to find em).

Edit: Not sure buying from outpost.com is a good idea, they have terrible review ratings.

Last edited:
I have the TX-SR302, it is an older version of the 303 and I can say that it sounds great. Onkyo is a great name in receivers, you pretty much can't go wrong with them. Same goes for Yamaha and Denon. I've heard that RCA receiver's are fine too. The cable you need is a toslink cable. Sorry to link: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=180-944. For the speakers, you can't find a better price than what outpost offers, they have been around for a while and should be somewhat trustworthy. About subs, it is difficult to find good subs, Velodyne makes great subs.

I checked out my father's old receiver from the mid 90's. It has no optical out, would I still be able to use the soundcard through to the receiver?

I will most likely purchase the receiver you linked me to, if no one else could provide a comparable one.

I already have a sub from the old surround sound set; including 5 other speakers, that's if I want to use them.

The receiver needs optical in, I assume that's what you meant it doesn't have. You can use a analog cable that is 3.5mm stereo minijack at one end to plug into the sound card and 2 RCA connectors on the other end for Left and Right channel input to the receiver. You can just get the card and try out the old system to see if it's any good. What are the specs on the old equipment? Speakers get better with age as they are loosened up. New speakers are stiff.

R4z0r4mu5 Pr|m3 said:
The receiver needs optical in, I assume that's what you meant it doesn't have. You can use a analog cable that is 3.5mm stereo minijack at one end to plug into the sound card and 2 RCA connectors on the other end for Left and Right channel input to the receiver. You can just get the card and try out the old system to see if it's any good. What are the specs on the old equipment? Speakers get better with age as they are loosened up. New speakers are stiff.

Purchased it this morning, should receive the rceiver sometime next week(ground shipping) and the speakers and soundcard the end of this week-beginning of next. Glad you posted that receiver, because I now have the option of upgrading to better parts.

Not sure if I'll have to purchase a 12' optical cable though, and I'm sure radioshack might have some.

R4z0r4mu5 Pr|m3 said:
Let us know how it goes.

J&R and UPS are quite the great combo; my receiver was delivered to me in less than 36 hours.

I had a bit of difficulty trying to find out how to get my speakers to work at first, but luckily the onkyo manual is well written and so is their receiver's interface. The receiver itself is very nice looking; silver with a nice orange backlit screen.

For tonight I decided just to hook up my two front speakers (r15's), and I notice a HUGE sound increasement over my old cyber acoustics. I am going to position them on the wall right behind my monitor; acting as the desktop speakers of the setup. I am considering adding two more to the sides without adding a 5th speaker. The subwoofer will go under the pc desk.

Are there any audio tests I can try out for when I hook up the rest of my speakers ?

Back