• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I'm finally making the switch..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sulretal

To quality 2.1 computer speakers. Without a doubt I'm looking at the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 THX speakers. However, I'd like to know a few things before I purchase them:

1) Are there any expected 2.1 speakers comming out soon that will be better than these klispchs?

2) Will a Real Tek alc 880 codec be enough to get optimum sound from?

3) Or should I just purchase a av 710(I want them for music and sound)

It was either getting a decent stereo system under 200 that could play mp3's or just buy high quality 2.1 pc speakers.

congratulations, that is a great decision

don't know of anything better coming out but these are tried and true

i would get the av-710 since it is pretty cheap

klipsch is a great manufacturer for speakers... their 5.1 is prolly even better then the logitech 5500 ( i have the predecessor z680's 505 5.1 and well its powerful and sounds pretty good, but when silent it hisses more then i like to admit)

Yeah! but I still go witht he 5500's just because you will have more tech support then what you would have with the klisp, and from my expeirance the klips fried with in 2 weeks of use, both sets and the exact same sets they were too.

I got the Proaudios' back in August and they completely changed the way I listen to everything on my computer.
You can't really go wrong with these speakers, they put out some insanely detailed sound for the price even before I got my Audigy for Christmas. :)

from an audiophile view logitechs are bass muddy and bass heavy. i havent heard klipsch tho but i hear they are much better

sulretal said:
can anyone vouch for this setup?

yes, a decent receiver + bookshelves easily owns any computer speakers setup, might cost a bit over $200 though unless you find some deals, opposed to the $150 or less for Klipsch Promedia 2.1

the av-710 does bit-perfect passthrough

keep in mind klipsch makes great home audio speakers also, perhaps this is why their pc speakers are so good

Echo_ knows his audio stuff

sulretal said:
, any good receiver recommendations ?

what price range?

i have an earlier model of this: http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4071518
and am very satisfied, refurbished comes with 1 year warranty from onkyo

the Panasonic XR55 gets lots of praises also but it is a bit above $200, more than the klipsch 2.1 alone

for speakers: http://shop4.outpost.com/product/3292811?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG
this is very cheap at the moment and sounds decent although 5.25" woofers won't get very low frequencies right

this onkyo+polk combo will get you the set for less than $200 including speaker wire

Last edited:
R4z0r4mu5 Pr|m3 said:
what price range?

i have an earlier model of this: http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4071518
and am very satisfied, refurbished comes with 1 year warranty from onkyo

the Panasonic XR55 gets lots of praises also but it is a bit above $200, more than the klipsch 2.1 alone

for speakers: http://shop4.outpost.com/product/3292811?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG
this is very cheap at the moment and sounds decent although 5.25" woofers won't get very low frequencies right

this onkyo+polk combo will get you the set for less than $200 including speaker wire
Whoa, that was exactly what I had my mind set on ! !
How exactly will I plug the receiver into the av710 ? What cables will I require?

Thanks for all the help guys.

Last edited:
sulretal said:
Whoa, that was exactly what I had my mind set on ! !
How exactly will I plug the receiver into the av710 ? What cables will I require?

Thanks for all the help guys.

very cool, the av710 comes with an optical cable which may be a bit short, if that's the case just get a longer optical cable of the same type

Back