• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Oldest rig that's still running, or still CAN run

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
_slh_ said:
Ive got a zx81 thats still working. Doesnt get much older than that.

i have my dads old zx spectrum in the wardrobe.. ive only ever used it once, played Hungry Horace, and it really really hurt the eyes >-<.. whats the comparison between the 81 and the spectrum? i was born in 89, so both are well before my time :p

Careface*

huh, ive played on the zx and ive owned a commodore, amiga 500plus!, mastersystem, nitendo, 486 dx, p 75mhz, amd 300 @350mhz then i jumpped to amd1.75 sempron and the a 3200venice :p

Audioaficionado said:
Just my trusty 486DX2/66...

Me too. In fact just *yesterday* I made a CMOS battery for it. It kept forgetting it had hard drives so I had to go into the BIOS every time I booted.

It had a 3.6v stand alone battery, hardwired to plug into a header on the mobo. No *way* I was gonna' find a replacement. I pulled it out, snipped the wires and soldered them to the ends of 2 AA batteries-which I had also soldered together and then duct-taped the whole assembly. It's only 3.0v, but it works. :)

As far as PC architecture goes, I've got an 8088 in my parents' closet that still works 100%. 4MHz (8MHz Turbo! :D), 20MB HD, DOS 3 (originally... now has DOS 5), etc.

As far as oldest computer, I've got a Commodore-64 (who doesn't??), and a Commodore VIC-20 (which apparently is 3 months older than the ZX81 :D) lying around somewhere as well. I think I'm missing cables to it though, so it technically isn't working...

And finally, if video game consoles count, it'd be an Atari 2600. I only have a few games for it -- most of my old ones are for the 800XL instead.

JigPu

Last edited:
how about an old Timex Sinclair??? Have it in the closet..I know it still works... it's sittin beside my 286sx... (no coprocessor...LOL)

I don't keep really old stuff around, the oldiest piece I have here is my dual P-Pro 200. Great little box, and pretty darn fast too, considering it's age. I stuck 1gb of 168pin EDO in it, and some SCSI hard drives.

a TRS80 ( Trash-80 ) that my old Teacher gave me when he moved to a new house, and wanted to get rid of some of his old stuff. since i was the computer geek in the class, i got the TRS-80!

i even have his old Cassett tapes which he used to save to. I havn't tried those though. But the system itself DOES work, just havn't tried his old Saves.

Not sure how much RAM it has. havn't really checked. But i KNOW it doesn't have a HDD....well...because it uses Cassett tapes. heh. i still want to try saving to one, for the fun of it ( and to see how long it takes! :D )

Still works. but its put up, where it wont get damaged or anything. Thats something i will make sure NEVER gets damaged, and always stays in perfect condition. and will NEVER be sold, or thrown away...EVER.

How about a Tandy 1200. This is an IBM PC XT clone. It still works. Has a 10 MB hard drive and 640K ram. It prints to an Epson dot matrix printer and runs a word processing program and visicalc....LOL

zexmarquies01 said:
a TRS80 ( Trash-80 ) that my old Teacher gave me when he moved to a new house, and wanted to get rid of some of his old stuff. since i was the computer geek in the class, i got the TRS-80!

i even have his old Cassett tapes which he used to save to. I havn't tried those though. But the system itself DOES work, just havn't tried his old Saves.

Not sure how much RAM it has. havn't really checked. But i KNOW it doesn't have a HDD....well...because it uses Cassett tapes. heh. i still want to try saving to one, for the fun of it ( and to see how long it takes! :D )

Still works. but its put up, where it wont get damaged or anything. Thats something i will make sure NEVER gets damaged, and always stays in perfect condition. and will NEVER be sold, or thrown away...EVER.

I once had a TRS80 model III that I used in college in 1981-1983. I gave it to the Good Will in 1991.

the oldest computer i currently have is a yellowed mac se fd/hd with an internal 20 meg hard drive, 1 whole whopping meg of ram and an 800k disk. it doesn't run right now as i haven't had the desire to install a system on the worthless thing, i'd rather blow it up.

my oldest working computer is a fourteen year old mac quadra 950 with 24 megs of ram and a 400 meg hard drive. i can still cruise the internet with it on system 7.6 or 8, it's painfully slow but useful. i don't use it much anymore since the 300w power supply puts out quite a bit of noise.

Careface said:
i have my dads old zx spectrum in the wardrobe.. ive only ever used it once, played Hungry Horace, and it really really hurt the eyes >-<.. whats the comparison between the 81 and the spectrum? i was born in 89, so both are well before my time :p

Careface*

The Spectrum had either 16, 48 or 128k of Ram, depending on the model. The ZX81 had 1k. Spectrum had 8 colour gfx, and was capable of sound. The zx81 had 2 colours, and no sound at all. They were the main differences.

486 66mhz laptop here. Works like new (but that's not a good thing). Saved it from the dumpster (why?). I tried surfing the net and it took over 10 minutes to load OCF. It went back in my closet after that and I havent touched it since.

Back