• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Presler 940 in the bat computer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Just got through running 10 loops of the Sandra burn-in wizzard at 4.4 gig using 1.4625v. This is about the same as what I run my 570 CPU at too. Load CPU temp for the Presler was 42-44 degrees compared about 44-46 degrees for the Prescott at the same speed and vcore. So not much difference, maybe a couple degrees cooler.

batboy said:
Just got through running 10 loops of the Sandra burn-in wizzard at 4.4 gig using 1.4625v. This is about the same as what I run my 570 CPU at too. Load CPU temp for the Presler was 42-44 degrees compared about 44-46 degrees for the Prescott at the same speed and vcore. So not much difference, maybe a couple degrees cooler.

Damn that's fast. Good to see you having splendar results.

My results are going well to. 30% OC with 1.35v, stable so far.

Load CPU temp for the Presler was 42-44 degrees compared about 44-46 degrees for the Prescott at the same speed and vcore. So not much difference, maybe a couple degrees cooler.
Considering that there's 2x as many cores under there, I'd say that borders on phenomenal or Prescotts just suck, haha. Like I said Presler on air = Prescott on water on water for me.

Yeah, you guys are just tossing those 1.55Vc's out there like crazy. I was scared to even try 1.50Vc :D

batboy said:
Just got through running 10 loops of the Sandra burn-in wizzard at 4.4 gig using 1.4625v.
Ross said:
so about 4.4-4.5GHz with around 1.45Vc would be nice...looks like you should have that made
So can we say I called it? What did I win? A 661? :D

While I can benchmark at 4.5 gig, I discovered that I had to crank the voltage up more than I was comfortable with. Looks like 4.4 gig is my sweet spot, which was exactly my stated goal when I ordered the CPU. I have to admit though, I like looking at that 4.8 gig suicide run screenshot. Hard to believe a dual core went that high on just water.

Well so far this has confirmed my suspicions, the 930s are indeed failed 940s. Hopefully my 920 will not be the same way as everyone's 930s

Ranger's is looking good so far. 4GHz @ 1.36Vc, but unstable. I couldn't even think about 4GHz short of 1.40V, so his 920 should surpass my 930, but the question will be by how much. batboy holds the record so far with a 4.8GHz screenshot (1.56Vc) with his 940 on water.

Sentential said:
Well so far this has confirmed my suspicions, the 930s are indeed failed 940s. Hopefully my 920 will not be the same way as everyone's 930s

I don't know about that Sen, I was able to dual Prime95 3.75Ghz, 250X15 with default Vcore. Getting beyond that starts taking mucho Vc.

Just two comments:

I looked up ur SL94Q sSpec HERE .

I found a Vcore range of 1.25 - 1.4V. Since ur retail box spec's max Vcore as 1.3V, and this falls near the lower end of the Vcore range (the lower 33 percentile, actually), I believe this may bode well for you. My experience is the box spec'd max Vcore is often a harbinger of ur OC possibilities, & to-a-point, ur overall thermal output. The lower end of the spec'd Vcore range generally = good, IME, all other things being equal.

Also very happy to see ur Antec is up to the task of Presler under water. Not knocking Antec, but we've seen dual core Prescotts humble many a PSU, and Pressler, being a Prescott variant-of-sorts, still is a relatively unknown commodity in the retail enthusiast user community.

GL, & keep the results coming! :thup:

Strat

Last edited:
Stratcat said:
Just two comments:

I looked up ur SL94Q sSpec HERE .

I found a Vcore range of 1.25 - 1.4V. Since ur retail box spec's max Vcore as 1.3V, and this falls near the lower end of the Vcore range (the lower 33 percentile, actually), I believe this may bode well for you. My experience is the box spec'd max Vcore is often a harbinger of ur OC possibilities, & to-a-point, ur overall thermal output. The lower end of the spec'd Vcore range generally = good, IME, all other things being equal.

Also very happy to see ur Antec is up to the task of Presler under water. Not knocking Antec, but we've seen dual core Prescotts humble many a PSU, and Pressler, being a Prescott variant-of-sorts, still is a relatively unknown commodity in the retail enthusiast user community.

GL, & keep the results coming! :thup:

Strat

I think the person at Intel who published those specs didn't have all their figures straight because that looks looks to be the same range as some of the Prescot P4 lines (maybe someone assumed it was the same). The side of the retail box on the Presler says 1.3V MAX. If you look at a 6xx Prescott it will say 1.4V MAX which was the highest Vcore that they would set. I could be wrong but I think 1.3v is the max Intel will set these at at.

batboy said:
1.5625v in the BIOS
Was pretty busy getting the screenshot and then shutting down quick. Kids, I'm a professional, don't try this at home.

Carefull now... when i played a bit to hard with mine... something died... :bang head
Was at 1.55v sub 40c temps but still something did die...
later this week i vil do some testing and hopefully it was my MB..
btw... Got 5ghz cpu-z validated... will post it when i get my test parts to acsess my sata hdd..

batboy said:
While I can benchmark at 4.5 gig, I discovered that I had to crank the voltage up more than I was comfortable with. Looks like 4.4 gig is my sweet spot, which was exactly my stated goal when I ordered the CPU. I have to admit though, I like looking at that 4.8 gig suicide run screenshot. Hard to believe a dual core went that high on just water.

Wow 4.4 is a pretty nice sweet spot too! Alright, I'm bought, gonna get myself one of these bad boys and get me to the happy place too :p

Carefull now... when i played a bit to hard with mine... something died...
Was at 1.55v sub 40c temps but still something did die...
later this week i vil do some testing and hopefully it was my MB..
btw... Got 5ghz cpu-z validated... will post it when i get my test parts to acsess my sata hdd..
Oh no! You had a 950 too didn't you? That blows...sorry man.

Yeah, the stated max 1.3v on the box means that the highest vcore set by Intel will be 1.3v. My default was 1.2825v. Anyway, the standard rule of thumb is 10% above vcore is safe, so that would be 1.43v. I can run 4.4 gig (16X275 FSB) at actual measured vcore of about 1.45v (BIOS setting is a little higher). That's about all I'm willing to do for long term.

Those that are expressing concern about those high voltages used in the suicide run are correct. It was a bit fool hardy. But, I had very cool temps and I only ran it long enough for a screenshot. The 1.5625v was the BIOS setting, actual is drooping a little, so measured vcore was probably more like 1.53v or so. Still, too high in my opinion. I don't recommend those kind of voltages to anyone. You are taking risks. But, I wanted that 4.8 gig screenie.

I got the latest Cat 5.13 vid drivers installled last night along with DirectX 9C. I was having problems downloading 3Dmark2003 and 3Dmark2005 last night. I'll try downloading from another site tonight. I have a long day at work today, but bear with me, I'll get some benchmarks up in a day or two.

My heart almost stopped when I saw that 4.8 screeny. Batboy always gets the premium overclocks. Now if newegg would just get these in stock so I could join in on the fun.

Batboy can you run pcmark04 for us?

just hit F7 for a verified cpuz file to be saved in the same folder as CPUZ is in - that way we can drool over it even more :)

VERY nice job so far mang - these 65nm chips are freakin' insane! i can't wait til i get my 955XE :drool:

Sneaky said:
just hit F7 for a verified cpuz file to be saved in the same folder as CPUZ is in - that way we can drool over it even more :)

VERY nice job so far mang - these 65nm chips are freakin' insane! i can't wait til i get my 955XE :drool:
Damn i wish i knew that when i was doing the suicide screen shots, had enough to take the screenie but crashed after opening paint! :eh?: I booted to 4.7GHz with my 650 but could never paste the screen shot.

hyperasus said:
My heart almost stopped when I saw that 4.8 screeny. Batboy always gets the premium overclocks. Now if newegg would just get these in stock so I could join in on the fun.

Batboy can you run pcmark04 for us?

Yea seems like it's taking a while to get these new preslers through the channel

Yeah, I dunno WTF is going on with them. Egg still doesn't have them listed and I am already on the lookout out for CMs, LOL. 955XE was supposed to be the first one released and now I've seen everything BUT the 955 at varying places.

Maybe the 1/16/06 release date is true and everyone else is breaking it except Egg, ZZF to a lesser extent, etc. Who knows, but I got $5 for the first person that spots a 661 in stock somewhere and tells me :D

Back