• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New router around $40?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

m3x1c4nj3w

Disabled
I'm looking for a new WIRED router for my house and was wondering what is the best bang for hte buck around 35-40 dollar range. I've been looking at the D-Link DI-604 and it seems to be pretty good. Anyone else have better suggestions?

m3x1c4nj3w said:
I'm looking for a new WIRED router for my house and was wondering what is the best bang for hte buck around 35-40 dollar range. I've been looking at the D-Link DI-604 and it seems to be pretty good. Anyone else have better suggestions?
I had one for a couple of years. It worked fine for two years until it fried its main processor one warm summer afternoon. It always ran real hot for me but maybe I had an unusually hot chip.

It's replacement, the DI-524, runs much cooler. Even though it's also got wireless capabilities, I've turned it off and only use the 4 wired switch ports. The price should be comparable to the one you're looking at. It's future proof just in case you get a laptop or something else that could use a wireless connection. You can easily prevent War-driving simply by securing/encrypting and isolating the wireless from the rest of the hard wired network.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833127143

i vote netgear! i use linksys at home but i miss my old netgear stuff, much more stable, didnt get so hot either.

are you on cable? get an old computer and use smoothwall then just use your old router as a switch

I personally like the DI-604 no problems except when changing the ports for Blizzard downloader. but it works great VPN works flawlessly and it blocks wan pings. I have hosted my own Website and FTP server. Still havent figured out how to host CS but i dont play it anymore

BTW i just bought about $500 from newegg and didnt know about the OCF portal :( *sigh

Back