• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

we beat OCAU by 10k points yesterday!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
aeiou said:
Its summer there

i always have heard that is a factor, but i'm up in the northeast, I always run the same number of computers, same OC. what is the big reason why they produce less?

idk, I have a celeron 2.66 and an athlon 64 3000+ venice at 2.2 folding 14/7 lol. night they go off because I cant sleep with em on. I'll be borging more soon, lol

I got used to the sound.. actually have trouble sleeping without the sound of whirling fans... and raw processing power near me.... :p

DOWN WITH OCAU....

ONWARD TO [H] :D

Yes, they will come back, but lets kick the snot outta them while they are down.. ;)

veryhumid said:
i always have heard that is a factor, but i'm up in the northeast, I always run the same number of computers, same OC. what is the big reason why they produce less?

The largest factor that affects us is probably the school cycle, when class is out and we lose a large number of school borgs (dorm comps, friends moving places without consistent net access like they had on campus, etc)

As for Australia, I was under the impression that their warm season is a VERY warm season and it really takes a toll on their ability to fold on at full power... If we had historical data anywhere we could probably see that their percentage of folding powerloss at this time of year is similar to other years.

As for how we are doing however, we've been steadily advancing our stance. Though its been a slow build as of late, its nice to know we have built a large stable base underneath ourselves... The numbers and participation for [H] and OCAU fluctuate a lot as they have nabbed massive recruits numerous times in the past year, and then theres also later an exodus of some number of those recruits not long thereafter.

I used to have an account over at OCAU but I haven't been over that way lately. If I find some time to check out the situation over there I'll let you know if its anything other than the weather, but that is almost certainly it.

Yes indeed the weather is a major factor, but also as it's school holidays in all states, this also has an effect on OCAU output.

I shut down all my boxen in the hotter months, basically between November and March. Still warm outside that time frame but i push it as far as possible.

Where i am it's been non stop over 100f and on some days over 120f for the last few months, with a few months of it still to go. A terrible strain for PC equipment all designed for EU or US/CA weather temps. No Computer makers design stuff for the hotter countries(i'm talking stock of course). Unless i get Air conditioning, then i'll never be able to fold during the spring/summer/autumn months.

I know many folders at OCAU are in the exact same boat as me, plus of course during summer people are away at the beach or on holidays around the joint, and not at home. A few factors involved, same as anywhere i spose. Just that our hot period is generally hotter and longer than most other countries.

Thanks for the post Auslander! :)

I will have a :cool: one (or two) :beer: for you!

Those temps would be murder ... when we get near 100 here it is awful, especially with the humidity that always accompanies it. But nearly perfect folding weather here now (above freezing atm but sub zero again by the weekend).

godofgorks said:
I got used to the sound.. actually have trouble sleeping without the sound of whirling fans... and raw processing power near me.... :p
lmao, i got used to it about a year ago when i had a 92mm Tornado running full bore 24/7 lol.

godofgorks said:
DOWN WITH OCAU....

ONWARD TO [H] :D

Yes, they will come back, but lets kick the snot outta them while they are down.. ;)
I think we can gain some ground this summer, seeing as most of us are based in cooler climates, if we try to keep a constant number of rigs at least, i think we stand a chance at gaining a decent amount of ground on OCAU and the [H]orde.

We also need to get our site back up, more front page coverage, more borgage and mostly more recruiting, that is where all of OCAU and [H]'s power comes from is getting huge numbers of new members...

we don't have the infrastructure in place right now to recruit massive amounts of new folders, however, myself and some of the other guys are working towards fixes for part of them...

Right now we're pretty much keeping up purely on borgs/new farms. And frankly, i'm suprised we've kept up so well.

pscout said:
Those temps would be murder ... when we get near 100 here it is awful, especially with the humidity that always accompanies it. But nearly perfect folding weather here now (above freezing atm but sub zero again by the weekend).

Man, i know 90+ up here in Wisconsin is murder whether it's uber humid or just a bit... but we all have air conditioning, I can't imagine living in a place that's 100+ regularly, much less not having A/C in that weather... but I guess it's kinda the same both ways, i'm sure you (Auslander) couldn't imagine swimming in 50 degree (F) weather.

Anyway, thanks for filling us in Auslander, and

Fold On! to everyone! :attn:

Back