• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Replacing IHS with flat heat pipe?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

futura2001

After doing a bit of research on flat heat pipes, it appears that a flat heat pipe (such as used on the Scythe NCU-1000/2000) would be a much better solution to evenly spread the heat out over the base of a heatsink or waterblock.
It looks like the only flat heat pipes available are aluminum based, which would appear to be a drawback, but then again the total thermal distribution might be high enough that it leads to an improvement in temps.
Any thoughts?
Has anyone tried it?
Did it work?

well i think what hes saying is basicly attach a heatpipe directly to the CPU core rather than have the heat travel through the ISH and then the base of the heatsink. I'd say if you can get it mounted without cracking the core it should work.

Rekarp said:
well i think what hes saying is basicly attach a heatpipe directly to the CPU core rather than have the heat travel through the ISH and then the base of the heatsink. I'd say if you can get it mounted without cracking the core it should work.
well this is essentially what happens when people remove their IHS'es and use sinks with pipes, it happens pretty often, tends to drop temps 5-10c.

Rekarp said:
Precisely.
I was looking at the heatlane website (TS Heatronics) and they seem to have some interesting concepts. It would be interesting to get a 50cmx50cm sample and replace the IHS with that and see what kind of a difference in temps one would see. I doubt it would lead to more than one or two degrees on a highend heatsink or waterblock, but nonetheless I am curious...

50cmx50cm?!? Holy crap that would be HUGE! Planning on sinking the entire board?

I assume you mean 50mm or 5cm. Would be interesting to see results. I am not brave enough to take apart a processor yet.

JT

Woops... should have wrote mm instead of CM. Gyah, that's what happens when I don't have my 5th cup of coffee by 10.00am. Us Seattleites are wicked coffee addicts...

Having an enduser replace the plain IHS with a heatpipe IHS is counterproductive IMHO. If you are removing the IHS might as well be rid of it completly and have direct die->HSF contact. However, as an experament this could have some very interesting results.

Back