• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual cores? what to do..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ok, so do you want to know about video encoding? We were doing some comparisons by converting an .avi file using a program called DivX to DVD. We only had one Opteron score to compare it to, but even the single core P-4 beat it.

Wam said:
Some results from some other guys who ran the test....

P4 670 @4.00 ghz 14x286
1Gb corsair DDR2 @ 476mhz 5-4-4-4
AVG FPS=83.9 (x2.80)

146 @ 2.8ghz (280x10), 1gb tccd 2-2-2-5 1T @ 200mhz (cpu/14)
80.7fps (x2.69)

Using P4 3.2 Extreme Edition stock speeds, 1Gb corsair ram stock speeds
fps 61.0 (x2.03) with preview / fps 61.8 (x2.06) without preview

P4 670J@ 3.8 2GB DDR400 @ 400
78.8fps

P4 2.4ghz 533mhz 512mb PC133
fps 33 (x1.02) took exactly 2 mins

P4 630 at 4.27Ghz (290x14, CL4 3-2-4 running at 484Mhz DDR2)
86.8fps (x2.90)

Opteron 165 @ 2.65
71 fps (x2.37)

My Pentium D 940 @ 4.4 gig got 93.3 FPS (x3.12). Certainly Intel is the way to go with video encoding.

That's interesting, Batboy. It doesn't jive with the reviews I have seen that show the opposite result. I don't think you can claim superiority based on one results of one Opti as there may have been other variables. However, if you let me know what you ran I could test it on my rig.

What overclocked to overclocked reviews are you referring to or do you mean the typical biased stock to stock reviews?

Here ya go. While you run that encoding test, why not post Super Pi and PCmark2004 scores too?

Wam said:
Can you run a quick test for me though...

http://www.wam77.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/vsodivxtodvd0.5.2b.zip 2.35Mb

http://www.wam77.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/SimpsonsTest.avi 25Mb

Download and install DivXtoDVD above. Run the program and leave everything at default and then click on convert with the above SimpsonsTest.avi. Include the fps and rate when it finishes i.e fps 42 (x1.40) Ideally I would use a larger (i.e 100meg) file to give a better/more accurate average fps but due to size limitations on my web space this will have to do. Thanks.

yes.. stock to stock reviews are kinda useless considering I will not be running my rig stock.. :D

and if you guys can compare encoding on similar (comparitivly) Intel and AMD chips that would rule.. (the 920 vs. the opty 165) and thats what rseven has!! hows your OC on that chip rseven? and batboy does your 940 do considerably better then a 920? If its possible could you give it a try with the pressler system you have now once you get it stable?

and with conroe coming out in July I guess I do have something to wait for.. (and compare the results of the AM2 90nm that will be out by then hopefully)

Thanks alot guys.. this information is VERY helpfull so far.. :D

batboy said:
What overclocked to overclocked reviews are you referring to or do you mean the typical biased stock to stock reviews?

Here ya go. While you run that encoding test, why not post Super Pi and PCmark2004 scores too?
84.7 x2.83

My 940 does a bit better than most 920, with one exception. That's D94's 920 which is amazing. He was able to do over 4 gig with default vcore. I can bench at 4.6 gig and he can do 4.5 gig. Go read his thread in the Intel section. If you need someone to run some tests for you on a 920, he would probably do it. I'm very impressed with the 920, especially the price.

Edit: speak of the devil.

Right now I'm Priming my system. I will be happy to run the test tomorrow and post them. I don't do benchmarks. my PCmark 2004 score would just be a reflection of my 9800pro video card. SuperPi I do as a stability test, but that score is ram biased and again won't reflect the attributes of the CPU. I can tell you that clocked at my current speed in my sig my SuperPi 32m time is 28:03. I will run the decoding stuff tomorrow.
BTW, this CPU can go much higher than the present clock, but my POS Neo2 can't hit 300htt.

hmmm rseven.. seems your chipset in your rig. is going to put your scores at a disadvantage.. :( maybe someone thats running a new DFI board with the opty 165 would care to give it a shot..
I really dont want to push you to get a better OC on your 165 either..

Im kinda mistified by the diffence in batboy's and d94's numbers.. maybe there's an explanation?? As asked by hUMANbEATbOX.. whats up guys?
What HD setup did you have in that old rig batboy, Im thinking that might effect the result..

hUMANbEATbOX said:
batboy i wonder why you are almost 10fps faster than d94 despite his larger fsb.
i just ran it again, this time w/no other crap running and got 91x3.04
still, its strange that his score is better when i have a higher fsb

ahhh thats ok d94... he was running 4 raptors in a raid 0 array! J/K..
thanks for the input :D

As you see ppl who have Intel recomend you Intel, ppl who have AMD recomend you AMD. I will not recomend any of these, because Intel/AMD dual-core cpu are great. You cant go wrong with any of them. I recomend you that YOU chose for you.

In some aplication one will be better by some %, in other one the other will be better some %, there are no ultimate benchmark who will tell what cpu will be better at everything. (i talking about stock vs stock and oc vs oc)

If you looking at encoding, then read this, and you will see that Cpu will not make much diference (maybe few % in some application), but a GPU will can make a 3-5x much diference in encoding:

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1880669,00.asp

greenmaji said:
What HS are you using? Im guessing it would need to be a top of the line one..

I have a Thermaltake Big Typhoon. I guess it's a decent heatsink, nothing over the top though.

I dont think Ive seen anything in the intel forum to compare low flow through the case (5V seems would be a serious Volt mod. that most people wouldnt do to there fans.. I could see 7V as being more likely)

No, it's just done using zalman fanmate2's at the lowest position.

From what Ive read.. 4GHz doesnt sound that tough even in that situation with a top of the line HS..

Well to me it looked like people where having to raise their voltage to do that, and that's where the limit goes for me on an A64 (with this cooling). I can run it up to 2.5ghz as long as I keep stock vcore. Beyond that load tems just jump out of control. Actually I would be happy with a 920 running at alot lower speeds, I'm not trying to reach any top speeds. As far as I've been reading the Intel forums, it looks like the people overclocking preslers have had some of the loudest fans available cooling them, and still 4ghz causes them to run hot. I have the most silent fan available running slower still...

and I dont know how relevent that is to my question.. Im more intrested in the opty 165 and wouldnt be intrested in running my fans at 5V in that case opty's run hot (and do well with higher temperatures because they were designed for it)

The X2 is not so differant from an opteron... I don't know how this was relevent to your question either, on the other hand the question was left a bit open. ;) My main point is that I prefere Intel motherboards to the extent that I would build an Intel rig despite feeling the processor performs a bit worse, just due to getting a motherboard I like. I'm just upset that it seems the cooling requirements I have might not be adequate for the Intel even at stock speeds. :(

Maby I'll have the patience to wait and see what kind mobos come out for yonah.

Someone asked me to run the divx-dvd on my 661 (single core) and chime in here...

661_divx_5300.gif
On this run:
5.3GHz single core / 295FSB
1 SATA HDD / 1 IDE HDD
Mushkin @ DDR984 4-3-2-4

dropadrop...d94's chip did 4.2 on stock volts (I'm not sure if it was rock solid stable)
and yea yohan seems to be up your ally.. at least a mobile chip soulds like the ticket for ya..

and ronaldo.. they say in the review that the app is video card dependant.. Im actually talking about converting .avi to .mpg.. your not playing the vid. file at all your converting the file type.. maybe I need to look into this subject harder.. I wouldnt think the vid. card had anything to do with it (I would suspect it would be CPU and HD speed that would be used)

Ive seen one AMD user say that the 920 is the future proof platform right now.. (the RAM will be compatible with up and comming systems and the 9XX clock well enough to keep up with AMD's dual core chips right now) He said this in the AMD CPU section of all places.. X.X LOL

edit: thanks for the result Ross.. not sure how to interperate your results compared to what Im thinging about right now though.. (your proc is single core and Im not sure if dual core helps that app.. Im kinda lost on this one right now..) maybe someone will enlighten me.. LOL

greenmaji: That app thats users used in this thread is single-threaded, that mean it will not use two cores....(in other words, a single-core higher clocked cpu will rule this app, but i dont think that for encoding, you will use a app that use only 50% of your cpu power, because its stupid to do that.)

Yes in future driver revision it can be posible to use GPU for other tasks than games only. As you see in that link that i gave, the speedups will be more than any cpu can give you....

In pc world there are no future proof cpus/platforms....maybe for few months yes, but more than that NO... (Conroe/AM2 are around the corner - few months from now and then in 2007 the quad-core will rule....)

Last edited:
yes.. Ive read about quad core.. I highly doubt Im waiting for that... I did finaly specify a general timeframe..
and the app. not being multi threaded stinks.. LOL
of course I want to see all aps move to multiple core/cpu usage, multi-threaded development.. LOL
it would be nice to have acutual single cores be more productive (rather then constantly trying to run more cores) heck.. think about supercomputing in the 70's compared to workstations today.. the thought of using more and more less powerfull cores is starting to grate my nerves..
Im still intrested in dual core though (so I can multi task on the single computer)
quad core is overkill for a desktop in my oppinon.. dual should do as long as develompment is consentrated on developing better cores..
this is JMHO guys..

greenmaji said:
but I use alot of processing power elsewere (I like to do some vid. converting, .avi to .mpg say.. so the more power the better) this would go with multi tasking because I would love to be able to do something while doing this, in doing it previously the computer was down I cant do anything else.. :(
this is just one heavy CPU task I do.. I have done others and would do them more often If I get a rig that would support it..

If your problem are this, then there is one solution that work: set the priority of video encoding process to low priority, and then you will can play games while encoding on single-core cpu. I do that without problems.

Well I personally don't think you'd really notice the differance in performance unless you where running some bencharking software. In that sence I would use other factors to make the final decision.

Back