• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual cores? what to do..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Wam said:
Correct Ross this is single threaded. There are other video apps like Mainconcept that utilise dual core. They claim that you get a 25% boost in performance.
If you use a multithread encoding app like Wam said, then you'll really fly with a 920 dual core.

I see that D94 closed the gap on his second attempt, so we are very close to the same score now. We are both running single Raptors which are listed in our signatures. Both of us have 2 gig of RAM, but I'm running very tight timings, maybe that's the difference?

rseven said:
I can tell you that clocked at my current speed in my sig my SuperPi 32m time is 28:03.
That's about what my 32M Super Pi time was when I tried it at 4 gig. I usually just run 1M, but I'll try the 32M again at my current everyday low voltage 4.4 gig speed while surfing the forum at the same time.

Super Pi 32m time = 25:07 (I could run it at 4.6 gig without the background internet surfing if you like).

Did I mention the Pentium D 920 is about $80 cheaper than the Opteron 165 at newegg?

Last edited:
Okay, here's what I have found out:

At 9x297=2673MHz (I bumped it a bit for the test)
73.76 (x2.46)

At 9x300=2700MHz (My mobo is not stable at this htt)
74.6 (x2.49)

Remember I am running at 1.33 vcore and this CPU is capable of going much, much higher than this board will take it, but subject to those limitations of this older NF3 chipset that's those are the numbers. Of course, now you got me going and I'll play around to see if i can improve them.:)

I'll chime in here.

It really depends on what you want to do with these systems. If you want to play games then the opteron would be for you. If you want to encode videos then I would go with the intel.
Intel 920s are generally cheaper, but most intel processor upgrades require a new motherboard. Intel has plans to phase out DDR2 in future platforms in favor of fully buffered dimms, so either route you go you will have to think about different memory types in the future (most likely get away with an intel platform for longer though).
If you can wait, I'd wait for either AM2 and their 65nm processors (should clock great), or untill intel dumps netburst, maybe even a yonah desktop would rule.

rseven said:
Remember I am running at 1.33 vcore and this CPU is capable of going much, much higher than this board will take it, but subject to those limitations of this older NF3 chipset that's those are the numbers. Of course, now you got me going and I'll play around to see if i can improve them.:)

just how much higher is "much much higher"? seems to me most dual core opty's i've seen top out around 2.8 on air. maybe 2.9 on water. the highest i've ever seen any amd dual core was 3.3ghz on phase with a fx60, and it was a huge pain for the guy to even bench at that speed, as his chip was cold bugged.

and about Intel dropping DDR2 anytime soon, i doubt it. they've got enough on their plate as it is with conroe around the corner.

*edit* just so you know custom, Conroe is where Intel will be dumping netburst.

hUMANbEATbOX said:
and about Intel dropping DDR2 anytime soon, i doubt it. they've got enough on their plate as it is with conroe around the corner.

*edit* just so you know custom, Conroe is where Intel will be dumping netburst.

I know when Intel is planning on dumping netburst. The intel engineer i was talking to said they wanted to dump DDR2 for conroe, but he said they are going to dump it for server platforms first then work down to desktops later in the ballgame.

well we will just have to see. so your prediction is that the first conroe xeon's will come with ddr3? or something else? you said fully buffered dimms...an example of that would be?

hUMANbEATbOX said:
well we will just have to see. so your prediction is that the first conroe xeon's will come with ddr3? or something else? you said fully buffered dimms...an example of that would be?

I do not have any predictions of the future since I failed physic classes, lol, I only know technology will be faster.
http://www.intel.com/technology/magazine/computing/Fully-buffered-DIMM-0305.htm explains fully buffered dimms better then I can. It is not DDR3.

well whatever the case may be, ddr2 is not going anywhere. i doubt ddr1 is even going anywhere at least in the next 6-12 months. an asus p5p800se will run any of the new 65nm chips (including the 955XE), it takes ddr1, and it has an agp slot.

I was kinda set on the dual opty idea 165 or 170 thinking it would rule dual core.. but then the 920 results came in.. opps there went that idea.. lol..
Im not so sure the opty 165/170 or the 920 telly would make any diffence at all as far as gaming is conserned.. actually I highly doubt it..
I find it odd that intel is going to fully buffered dimm's for conroe as I was expecting DDR2 in the platform (part of the reason I was thinking a good investment in DDR2 would be a safe bet/and it would be if desiding to chuck it into a AM2 65nm rig later)
ahhhh.. yuck.. if conroe is going to be going with somthing other then DDR2 its going to make RAM uncompatable with AMD again.. I dont like the sound of that.. (I would love to have a choice in the matter in the future) I cant argue with advacement though... :)

Last edited:
DDR2 is here to stay for at least another year. Conroe will launch with DDR2. But, let's not hijack this thread to debate RAM which is completely off topic. Please start another thread.

EDIT: Intel is indeed looking at DDR3 RAM for future desktops. But, it won't be for a while.

Last edited:
greenmaji said:
I was kinda set on the dual opty idea 165 or 170 thinking it would rule dual core.. but then the 920 results came in.. opps there went that idea.. lol..
Im not so sure the opty 165/170 or the 920 telly would make any diffence at all as far as gaming is conserned.. actually I highly doubt it..
I find it odd that intel is going to fully buffered dimm's for conroe as I was expecting DDR2 in the platform (part of the reason I was thinking a good investment in DDR2 would be a safe bet/and it would be if desiding to chuck it into a AM2 65nm rig later)
ahhhh.. yuck.. if conroe is going to be going with somthing other then DDR2 its going to make RAM uncompatable with AMD again.. I dont like the sound of that.. (I would love to have a choice in the matter in the future)
I would not judge the 165 vs the 920 on just one test. Traditionally, Intel is better at some and AMD is better at others.

greenmaji said:
ahhhh.. yuck.. if conroe is going to be going with somthing other then DDR2 its going to make RAM uncompatable with AMD again.. I dont like the sound of that.. (I would love to have a choice in the matter in the future)

DDR2 will definatly work with conroe, I just said they have plans to replace it since you listed that as a plus for the intel option. I dont see why you are rulling out the 165s baised on the 920s. According to sandra tests my 170 runs better then most 920s at less than 4.5ghz in most tests except for memory bandwitch (although thats only a couple hundred mb/s slower). Amd's architecture makes it better for gaming then netburst, but netburst encodes some videos better than the A64...

hey, i'd like 2 of each!

lets just say the next 2 year just MIGHT be interesting from both sides of the fence. overall we all win.

I have confirmed that Intel is already looking ahead at DDR3, but that's a long ways down the road. According to this article, don't expect to see DDR3 for desktop computers until at least 2007.

http://yahoo.pcworld.com/yahoo/article/0,aid,123455,00.asp

Custom, from what I've seen, overclocked Preslers beat overclocked Opterons in most of the Sandra benchmarks, if you are into obsolete synthetic benchmarks. Let's start a new thread and compare results.

batboy said:
I have confirmed that Intel is already looking ahead at DDR3, but that's a long ways down the road. According to this article, don't expect to see DDR3 for desktop computers until at least 2007.

Custom, from what I've seen, overclocked Preslers beat overclocked Opterons in most of the Sandra benchmarks, if you are into obsolete synthetic benchmarks. Let's start a new thread and compare results.
id like to see this too :)

batboy said:

go for it guys.. I would really like to see it.. :D

and no I didnt make the desion based on the program results.. its the fact that the 920 is using DDR2 right now.. if AM2 90nm has something better then conroe when the time comes, then we'll talk.. :D

batboy said:

lol I heard intel wan't looking into ddr3 due to its high cost, at least thats what the intel engineer said. I wouldn't mind compairing some results on sandra, but i was just saying in some benchmarks opterons>presler and in others its the other way around. please start a thread if you would like to compair some results...

btw.. Im pretty sure Im going to wait this one out.. so the desision on the 920 is really up in the air.. I will likely skip it..

Back